Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plagiarism on a Team Project
Anyone ever have someone submit plagiarized work on a team assignment? What did you do? Did you report it to your professor?
I've never been in that situation but, in my opinion, there's plagiarism and then there's PLAGIARISM.  If it's a substantial offense then I'd turn them in.  It's basically professional ethics for students.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • jch
Interesting, I'm curious as to what is plagiarized... How did you find out it was them? I would report it!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
In a first team project in one class I was doing final edit on the paper and ran it thru Grammarly for grammar. Well, yeah it showed plagiarism. I lost my crap on the TWO (of 4 in group) that had given me that and one handed in new stuff, the other never did but I was stupid and did his work. That was mid term project

Come the final project and the guy that had not bothered to correct his in the mid term handed in his "work" and I ran it right away.. plagiarism again. I sent a email to Prof and Dean with the work he had sent, the proofs of plagiarism and in fact revisited the mid term and what had happened.

I honestly don't know what happened to him, nor do I care that much.

I have a friend who teaches staff college for the military, mid grade officers about to be senior, and he has it all the time.

Welcome to 2022

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(08-04-2022, 06:26 PM)cerich67 Wrote: Welcome to 2022

I would think it's the opposite in 2022. There are so many ways to check now! Why would someone do it, other than to get thrown out of school on purpose?
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(08-04-2022, 06:38 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 06:26 PM)cerich67 Wrote: Welcome to 2022

I would think it's the opposite in 2022. There are so many ways to check now! Why would someone do it, other than to get thrown out of school on purpose?

valid point, I was alluding to there being less fidelity to ethics. That is probably more me getting older than reality however.

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
I narrowly avoided this in an earlier term. One of my peers submitted discussion posts throughout the course that just seemed off. A quick search revealed that they were all just blatant copy pastes. Then I got assigned to do a group project with them. I sent an email to the academic integrity office with lots of evidence and asked to be moved to a different group. Prof rearranged the groups the next day, IDK what ever happened to the student.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • JPN
Yes, it's like the bane of my existence! I was in a class that involved peer grading. All semester I had been grading at this guy's papers that were directly copied from the book. When I first noticed it I talked to the professor who told me to mark everything as zero and state that it was plagiarism. The professor had a military background to be honest I totally felt bad for this guy but I really appreciated the professor giving confidence to be okay telling my peer that he needed to stop plagiarizing. He had gotten better by the end of the term. Then hand it up in my group project. I ended up taking the lead on the project. He turned on his portion with plagiarism and I notified him that he had to change it. He turned in a better version that wasn't completely perfect but definitely an improvement that I was able to work with. We ended up getting an "A" for the final project, but it definitely put me in a difficult position. I did notify the professor when he turned in the initial work that there had been plagiarism, and just kept him updated. I don't know if the guy ended up passing the class or not. I think some schools are more relaxed about this with some of the international students for their first term that might not be used to the expectations of the US schools.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • jch
(08-04-2022, 06:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Interesting, I'm curious as to what is plagiarized... How did you find out it was them?  I would report it!

Oh it's not hard to figure it out when you're the team leader and all of the assignments come to you for submission. Their entire paper was plagiarized. 

My pro tip for the day.....
If you can't figure out how to calculate the time zone next to you, don't submit pages of statistical methodologies which were clearly written by a subject matter expert. It takes less than 30 seconds to find plagiarism on Google especially when you copy and paste directly from a textbook. I can't even give points fo creativity on this one. I did report it. I don't want my name on a plagiarized paper.
(08-08-2022, 10:43 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 06:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Interesting, I'm curious as to what is plagiarized... How did you find out it was them?  I would report it!

Oh it's not hard to figure it out when you're the team leader and all of the assignments come to you for submission. Their entire paper was plagiarized. 

My pro tip for the day.....
If you can't figure out how to calculate the time zone next to you, don't submit pages of statistical methodologies which were clearly written by a subject matter expert. It takes less than 30 seconds to find plagiarism on Google especially when you copy and paste directly from a textbook. I can't even give points fo creativity on this one. I did report it. I don't want my name on a plagiarized paper.

As the team leader I assume you rejected it back to them, and let them know why?  Curious if you called them out on it in the team meeting or one-on-one. If you hadn't caught it and it was submitted it would have sank the whole team - as it would equal you all plagiarizing if submitted for grading as a team.  Plagiarizing is bad (we can all agree on that), but plagiarizing knowing you could cause harm to an entire team of people - that is the worst kind of plagiarizer.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Project Management Cert? GoBroncos95 11 885 07-06-2024, 11:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Op Eds - I Vote on Plagiarism Cases at Harvard College. Gay’s Getting off Easy. posabsolute 0 435 12-31-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,787 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Plagiarism scan results Jennr2z 13 2,302 02-22-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Google Project Management: Professional Certificate midnite123 5 2,130 10-06-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 1,086 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Has anyone taken the Sophia Project Management Course? passit1 6 5,078 04-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Construction Project Manager Certification humboldtjake 2 1,238 03-30-2019, 05:57 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Alternative Credit Project closing down cookderosa 50 13,116 08-30-2018, 12:43 PM
Last Post: magflo
  Project Management? ChasingDegrees 2 1,731 03-28-2018, 01:37 AM
Last Post: Merlin