Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD Finance or DBA for career in Financial Management / Investment Management
Hi!

This question is mostly aimed towards people that completed their DBA/PhD and have personal experience with the industry recognition/industry value of these degrees.

My academic roadmap is nearly mapped out.

BSc in BA -> MSc in Accounting and Finance. Now, for a career in financial/investment management, what would be the optimal terminal degree to this path?

I have the option to pursue either a PhD in finance or a DBA at the school of my choice. The cost is roughly the same. The PhD would push me deeper into my specialization, while the DBA would be more of a general management degree (however, my dissertation in the DBA program can still be related to a topic in finance).

I've heard stories about both sides: "the PhD is only valued in academia and doesn't help you in industry jobs" / "the DBA is not a classic doctorate degree so people will not take it seriously". 

What are your experiences and your recommendations? To which extend are the two statements from above true or false? Which degree would you think benefits me the most in this industry?
I've heard the same thing about doctoral degrees in the business field in general. Not all, but doctoral degrees do prepare one for a career in academia. I have even heard that MBA's are almost unecessary unless you're trying to get the CPA license in Accounting. Interested to hear what others think.
If the goal is a career in finance, I don't see any reason to get a doctorate. A master's is probably also unnecessary. Not speaking from my own experience, but my mom had a career in finance based on a BA totally unrelated to finance, and when she got a Master's degree later in life, it was also unrelated to finance. She did get some professional certifications along the way, though.

But if you want to pursue postgraduate education because you find it interesting, that's a good enough reason as far as I'm concerned, as long as you can afford it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice for Distant Learning / Online PhD in Economics or Management bwilliamsb 4 754 06-20-2024, 02:33 AM
Last Post: kb24bi8
  Spain Inter-University Doctoral Programme in Business & Management durain 3 1,041 11-14-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Doctor of Management (DM) - 42 Credits/TRACS - about $16K USD bjcheung77 8 2,553 06-15-2023, 11:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Computer Science and Engineering Management PhDs at CapTech sanantone 19 2,565 04-20-2022, 06:57 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Dissertation-Only DBA in Supply Chain Management sanantone 4 1,377 01-13-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Emporia PhD Library & Info Management (3 concentrations) bjcheung77 2 1,109 12-28-2021, 11:23 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Walden PhD in Management - Completion (ACBSP) - 1.25 years - $18,650 bjcheung77 9 3,374 09-24-2020, 07:17 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Sacred Heart's Low-Res AACSB DBA in Finance Jonathan Whatley 0 1,306 05-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley