Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn Foster Strategic Management - Random Thoughts
I am currently planning my final project for Penn Foster's Strategic Management course. For those unfamiliar, the course consists of 4 multiple choice exams, 4 discussion posts, 3 webinars, and a final project. The final project is a strategic analysis of Southwest Airlines.

In preparation for the final project, I have been reading through many similar projects involving Southwest. Most suggest Southwest expand in ways that contradict the business strategies that made Southwest successful to begin with. Many suggest expanding Southwest's fleet to include alternate models of aircraft, most suggest expanding into overseas flights, and some even suggest taking a confrontational approach to the unions. I can't help but think Herb Kelleher would hate most of these suggestions. But the idea that stands out in my head the most is a CEO that avoided labels and traditional "strategic analysis" would hate the very idea of trying to dissect Southwest using a set of canned analysis tools. When reading an interview with Herb, it is obvious that he sees Southwest as an organic entity rather than a machine.

I know that this post is somewhat off topic, but many people have questions about the course and I believe others might benefit from the discussion.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
I'm getting two books from the library on Southwest, and I think one is by Kelleher. Hope it will put me in the mood for doing the project and getting a better feel for the topic.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
UptonSinclair the project is not that involved. You can gleen all the information for the analysis from the textbook Penn Foster provided and the few YouTube videos linked to the graded project. I basically made an essay around the main questions asked in the project and received a 97 on the project. PM me and I will shared a link to my project in Google Docs to give you an idea of what the grades are looking for.
Same here I chopped together answers for the questions based off the reading, expressed a few opinions and got a 100.
AMU: 39 Gen Ed credits
Military ACE credits: 24 Gen Ed/GMS/Bus/Free credits
Clep: College Mathmatics 67 , Prin of Management 65 , College Algebra 56 , Anal & Interpreting Lit 65
DSST: Intro to Computing 452 , Prin of Supervision 446 , Management Information Systems 437 , Human Resource Mgmt 68 , Organization Behavior 63
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra , Pre-Calculus
Straighterline: Accounting I , Accounting II , Finiancial Accounting , Business Ethics
TEEX: Cybersecurity for Everyone
PF: Financial Management , Strategic Management
Saylor: Marketing
TECEP: Advertising
TESC: APS-401 Current Trends & Applications
Thanks for the input. I believe I am close to having something together that will work. Since the course is pass/fail, I am not too worried about the grade. I just need to get something written down.

Answered my own question through site search.

I just finished my first webinar and wanted to share. The instructor introduced herself and posted a couple of links to articles about technology education initiatives. She then asked for discussion on the effectiveness and potential downfalls of these types of initiatives. There were questions, but no feedback on postings. Overall, it was a benign experience. I will be glad when they are all over, but they look pretty harmless. Everyone in the webinar is at different places in their course, so there were no textbook specific questions. She did say this was the place to ask any questions regarding the course, but I didn't have any. I am just waiting on a grade for my final project.
As did Upton, I just finished my first webinar. It wasn't a stressful event. There wasn't any sharing of anyone comments, so I was unable to build or play off of anything. That is frequently how my best thoughts develop. Oh, well.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I have mixed feelings about the lack of student discussion. It limits the benefit of the discussion, but it prevents big mouths like me from dominating the discussion. I really struggled at the community college because I tend to be pretty aggressive in discussions and tended to walk on younger or timid older students. It is a personality trait that I struggle with.
UptonSinclair Wrote:I have mixed feelings about the lack of student discussion. It limits the benefit of the discussion, but it prevents big mouths like me from dominating the discussion. I really struggled at the community college because I tend to be pretty aggressive in discussions and tended to walk on younger or timid older students. It is a personality trait that I struggle with.

Not to toot my own horn, but I was at a different level of analysis than my fellow community college students. They were shocked at me saying that sex offenders are more likely to live in poorer neighborhoods. To them, it sounded like I was saying that poor people are more likely to be sex offenders. What they couldn't understand, even after multiple times of explaining it, is that landlords in poorer neighborhoods are more likely to rent to people with criminal records. There are hardly any houses to rent in more upscale neighborhoods. Even if there were houses to rent, they would more than likely be outside of the convict's budget. Felons have limited employment options. Also, upscale apartment complexes are not going to rent to felons, especially sex offenders. I even backed up my claims with data from the sex offender registry, but they were still all up in arms. I just had to accept that the discussion was way above their heads. It's much easier for me to have these types of conversations with doctoral students.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,437 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  TECEP Operations Management colinsr 4 587 10-09-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 483 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Degree choices. BA Supply chain management vs BLS with an MIS minor Schlafen 12 1,041 01-31-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 763 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Penn state's two law schools will be combined into a single law school Imbanewbie 0 511 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Google Project Management: Professional Certificate midnite123 5 1,656 10-06-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Learning Management System Vle045 12 1,242 06-24-2022, 12:01 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 0 973 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  University of London offering 15% bursary for their MSc in Management programs nyvrem 5 850 05-26-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: freeloader