Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Resume Builder
For those of you Interested in compiling your education into a noteworthy Resume in today's competitive Workforce, I offer the Forum this Resource:

Resume Builder

1. Go to this URL
http://petersons.com/airforce/

2. Click on Career in the left menu

3. scroll down till you see lego blocks, and click on Resume Builder

4. create an account

5. I can't remember, but if it asks for the base code, just type FL4690

6. This Service will take you by the hand, and walk you step-by-step to creating possibly the best resume your tax dollars will buyhilarious

enjoy!
Traditional Credits: 39 (12 used)
FEMA Credits: 9 (6 used)
NFA Credits: 2 (0 used)
DANTES Credits: 21 (18 used)
CLEP Credits: 18 (15 used)
FAA Credits: 39

EC BS in Psychology: 90/120 (38 unused)
shadowcross Wrote:For those of you Interested in compiling your education into a noteworthy Resume in today's competitive Workforce, I offer the Forum this Resource:

Resume Builder

1. Go to this URL
http://petersons.com/airforce/

2. Click on Career in the left menu

3. scroll down till you see lego blocks, and click on Resume Builder

4. create an account

5. I can't remember, but if it asks for the base code, just type FL4690

6. This Service will take you by the hand, and walk you step-by-step to creating possibly the best resume your tax dollars will buyhilarious

enjoy!
thanks shadowcross, i'll be redoing mine soon and i can always use another resource.
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
If you don't know how to write it yourself there are other places to do it for free.
I wrote my free resume at resumizer.com.
I found the creator to walk me through it and the help and tips were great. :hurray:
I actually would recommend something totally different, but it requires a little work and creativity on your part..

What I did was sign up for one month of TheLadders.com.. I think it's like 35 bucks or so. Included in that price was a free resume critique. Of course they want to sell you their resume writing service and the site is really designed around higher-level jobs, meaning if you're entry-level, it's probably not the place that would serve you best.

Anyhow, their resume service is REALLY expensive, however between the critique that they will give you PLUS access to all of their sample resumes, you can get some really great ideas on how to improve your resume and since TheLadders.Com is a site that lists mid to higher-level jobs, you can get a glance at what an executive-level resume looks like.

They're really good at keeping up with the times IMHO.. one thing that a lot of people don't take into account is that recruiters don't typically look at each resume out of the 500 or more that come in for any one job. Recruiters use software that scans and selects the applicants that best match the results, so no matter what resume service or site you access, you'll need to make sure that your resume is OPTIMIZED for this new type of selection process. For some people, this is a no-brainer, but if you have an older resume, I can almost guarantee that the optimization is not a part of it. Even supposedly good websites that give resume hints are showing older, outdated resume styles that will not even make it to the recruiter.

I feel pretty strongly about the whole resume thing because I've hired many people over the past few years. In my last job, I didn't even read more than a few words of each resume that the recruiter sent me, and that was AFTER the initial screening rounds had been done. It is darn hard to get hired so you can't skip any steps on your resume.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:I actually would recommend something totally different, but it requires a little work and creativity on your part...

Love the post Smile

I was just going to reply "SPAM!", but your input on the subject is certainly more helpful than mine would have been, lol. Thanks for the TheLadders idea.

Goal: BSBA in CIS

1[SIZE=1]20
credits required, 33 to go!
Started testing 8/8/11

SOURCE
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]CREDITS)
Navy Nuclear Field
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]34) - Various Credits/Classes
[/SIZE]
CLEP (39)
US History I (70) - 8/8/11 | US History II (67) - 8/22/11 | A&I Literature (70) - 9/22/11 | College Comp (61) - 9/26/11 | Macroeconomics (71) - 10/12/11 | Microeconomics (58) - 10/12/11 | Principles of Management (64) - 11/10/11 | Information Sys & Comp Apps (67) - 11/10/11
| Marketing (69) - 3/19/12 | Sociology (58) - 3/19/12 | Business Law (69) - 3/4/1[SIZE=1]3[/SIZE]

DSST (15)
Money & Banking (70) - 10/27/11
Statistics (466) - 01/30/12
HRM (63) -
03/06/12
Org Beha[SIZE=1]vor (55) - 04/03/12[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Busines[SIZE=1]s E[SIZE=1]thics & Soc [/SIZE][/SIZE](447) - 03/19/13[/SIZE]

Next up: 30 days of Straighter[SIZE=1]line for Accounting I[SIZE=1], Accounting
II & Business Communication[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
keithk Wrote:Love the post Smile

I was just going to reply "SPAM!", but your input on the subject is certainly more helpful than mine would have been, lol. Thanks for the TheLadders idea.

Lol.. yes, I almost did that too. Ha ha.. Gotta love the mysterious one-post people who always have a website to share. My favorite part of Mr. Tome's post is the quote: "I found the creator to walk me through it and the help and tips were great." I guess nothing I can suggest would help with your resume if you have the Creator on your side!!
hilarious

But seriously, I just see SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many bad resumes and it makes me sad because the people are typically very well qualified and have spent a lot of time on something that really doesn't reflect their abilities, so I try to speak up anytime I see a resume thread that I notice. After all, the degree is only a small part of the job equation. Smile
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I understand the ladders idea but you have to realize that not every one has a degree and not everyone is able to apply for a high paying position. Some people don't have the money to put out for a resume service since things are tight for them.
Everything is relative, people need to use a service that is on par with their vocation. A minimum wage earner is not going to use the ladders. Someone applying to a small family owned business is not going to need an optimized scannable resume. Smile
harry tome Wrote:I understand the ladders idea but you have to realize that not every one has a degree and not everyone is able to apply for a high paying position. Some people don't have the money to put out for a resume service since things are tight for them.
Everything is relative, people need to use a service that is on par with their vocation. A minimum wage earner is not going to use the ladders. Someone applying to a small family owned business is not going to need an optimized scannable resume. Smile

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to paying hundreds of dollars for their resume service. I just meant paying the $35 bucks for one month's membership so that you can get the free resume critique to get some professional suggestions and then reviewing their website to see examples of top-quality resumes. You would still be doing all of the work, but your resume would look really slick.

Competition is fierce these days no matter what. I've even heard that it's tough for teenagers to get work now because there are so many out-of-work adults doing jobs that no one wanted previously.

Even if optimization isn't necessary, the resumes from the ladders will show you what an executive has to present to get hired. Why not practice making your resume look like a CEO? Even if you're applying to wash toilets, show up in a suit and tie, present the best possible resume and who knows? You may end up impressing so much that you get a better job or get promoted soon after you start working. (remember dress for the job you want, not for the one you have!)

One other comment... often times I'll see people that have worked their way up in a company have REALLY bad resumes, even if their skills have grown over the years. They grow up, but their resume doesn't evolve to match their skills. If you start off with an executive-quality resume, that will be much less work for you down the road if a job opportunity opens up suddenly. Trust me, when you see an opening, sometimes you have to jump quickly and that means having your resume almost constantly ready!

There are many great resume builders out there and TheLadders is just the one I prefer, but others will do. If at all possible, don't use your resume-building wizard in Word because that's what 98% of people do and yes your resume will look like everyone else's if you do this. OR if you want to use the Word wizard, think of something to make yourself stand out, such as making sure to get the hiring manager's name and calling or emailing them personally to introduce yourself. Most people just submit a resume and then don't do anything at all unless the recruiter calls them back, so this a good thing to do even if you are applying at McDonalds. (Yes they will have a manager in charge of hiring and why not get their name, find out when they work and call!)
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 58 11,597 09-16-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: wow
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 346 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  any Cert-free schools? pluggingalong 2 300 08-24-2024, 09:44 PM
Last Post: pluggingalong
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 216 38,445 08-04-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 624 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 758 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  OpenAI launches new AI model GPT-4o Free for Everyone LevelUP 4 645 06-27-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 2 1,459 05-27-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 2,258 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  10 Certificates To Put On Your Resume In 2024 LevelUP 0 478 03-27-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP