Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Med school - anyone interested? Well...
I was surprised to see an ophthalmologist hire optometrists for surgical first assistance and pre- and post-care.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stonybeach's post:
  • Hotdogman1
Anyways, my offer is up! No, I'm not like this guy, but he's 53 and grad Med School when he was 51, after he decided to deviate from being a Mechanic... https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical...r-AA1qBYmQ

Here's the info on how he went from mechanic to medicine, and the institutions he attended to get there... https://www.npr.org/2022/10/05/112666133...-physician
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Stonybeach
Your concern is duly noted.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(09-17-2024, 04:32 PM)wow Wrote:
(09-17-2024, 02:46 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-17-2024, 10:04 AM)wow Wrote: Great article. Shows that there are many reasons that people seek degrees. Not everyone is looking for a specific career; often it's for the love of learning. If a person has the resources and passion to pursue an education, there's no reason they shouldn't. I've never seen anyone ask someone who golfs for a hobby what the ROI is on their equipment, classes, and club memberships, or tell them they are stupid for putting energy into something that is challenging and sometimes difficult, and also won't earn them money.

In this case, the student wanted to learn medicine primarily because he was interested in it. Secondarily, the knowledge he gained is something that he can apply to problems that require an understanding of anatomy and medicine, but do not require a license to practice medicine—but that really only seems to be mentioned as a side benefit, not as the reason that he sought the degree. I also love how this has inspired him to looking to developing a scholarship fund for other medical students—he may not going to practice medicine himself, but he would be helping others to do so. Lovely all around.

The problem with this thinking is that there are a very limited number of seats in med school programs in the US. There are not enough openings for everyone who wants to actually be a doctor. Are there overseas schools who will happily accept the money? Sure. Med school isn't the same as getting an MBA for fun. It's rigorous. There's also the argument that someone who actually wants to become a doctor lost their chance because this guy had the cash for a seat even though he will not become a doctor which is unfortunate as the world needs more doctors.
You are welcome to think that way, but it is not an objective truth. He did not pursue a medical degree in the US, and the medical school that admitted him likely knew that he was not going to become a practicing medical doctor, but saw other advantages to admitting him. I don't think it's likely that they rejected someone who might actually become a medical doctor in order to accept him. But if they did, it might have been because they didn't I think those rejected candidates would have been good medical doctors. And they may have felt that his knowledge of chemistry and other sciences would be a boon to other students in his cohort, improving their knowledge and ability to practice medicine upon graduation.

All this is beside the point that there are plenty of people who go to med school who do not go on to practice medicine, in the sense that they are not caring for patients. Going to med school in order to become a research MD is a real thing. Additionally, many people leave medical practice in order to get jobs in the business sector as consultants--I've worked with quite a few of them. It actually sounds like this individual is doing something along that vein.

If you think that everyone with a medical degree should be required to use that degree only to offer direct care for patients, then that is really a whole other discussion. I don't think it's a defensible viewpoint. There is plenty of good that people can do with medical degrees that does not involve patient care, and that only a medical degree will properly qualify them to do.

Honestly, I'm not sure why there is so much hate for getting degrees they don't have a direct relationship to a person's occupation on the "how to get a degree that might not have a direct relationship to your occupation" board.

This is actually not common. Plenty of MDs do research and there are quite a few MD/PhDs (it's a grant base program) but almost all do research AND practice medicine.  For those who JUST want to research, a PhD suffices easily. In 15 years I have never met a MD who didn't do substantial patient care at least at some point.
(09-16-2024, 08:36 PM)Duneranger Wrote:
(09-16-2024, 02:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yeah, I am thinking of it... for the last few years now actually... Here's an interesting read, the oldest Med School graduate (not in the US, but elsewhere).  It's weird why he went to the PI to get a medical degree, I guess it's like some people going to the Caribbean for theirs...

Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/this-7...r-AA1qbkvM
Decent chance you don't match into a US residency and then you are screwed. Foreign medical grads get the bottom of the barrel residencies if they even match at all. Why spend your remaining days being stressed 24/7 and having to deal with the risk of lawsuits and disgruntled patients all day long after burning 10+ years of your life studying.  It's not weird he went to the PI, (it's cheap, with lower standards for admission) this guy would have no chance at a US med school and a Carribean school would take his cash and flunk him out after they collected his 100k a year check. They are notorious for this.  Accepting tons of people then weeding them out after they take their money.

Going into medicine or healthcare isn't just degree hacking a few more letters at the end of your name,  you are dealing with people's lives and all the weight that comes with that daily. 

Don't be like this guy if you value your sanity. Cool he achieved a goal, let's revisit his attitude a few years into practice.

I say this as a medical provider who has done this every day for 15 years. I get people want to check things off in life but this IMO is a weird way to do it.

Hello All, 
Long time lurker, but had to register to comment on this. I know several people who went to Medical School in the Caribbean and matched into competitive programs in the US. A friend of a friend didn't match into a Derm program, so she worked as an assistant physician (this is different from physician assistant)  under a doctor to get experience, applied again, and got accepted.

I have two associates currently enrolled in an online accredited Caribbean medical school where they will spend the first couple of years online, so they are studying from home. 

I think it's unfair to assume that all Caribbean medical schools are predatory. Maybe it's biased but friends who went to a Caribbean schools say that most horror students you hear about students being dismissed is because they didn't do well in the program. They go to a Caribbean school thinking it will be easy, but then they realize it isn't. All the accredited schools need to maintain a standard to stay accredited, just like US medical schools. 

I personally have no problem with anyone pursing a goal. If the guy in the OP doesn't end up pursing medicine, so what?
(Today, 07:53 AM)Bingbong Wrote:
(09-16-2024, 02:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yeah, I am thinking of it... for the last few years now actually... Here's an interesting read, the oldest Med School graduate (not in the US, but elsewhere).  It's weird why he went to the PI to get a medical degree, I guess it's like some people going to the Caribbean for theirs...

Decent chance you don't match into a US residency and then you are screwed. Foreign medical grads get the bottom of the barrel residencies if they even match at all. Why spend your remaining days being stressed 24/7 and having to deal with the risk of lawsuits and disgruntled patients all day long after burning 10+ years of your life studying.  It's not weird he went to the PI, (it's cheap, with lower standards for admission) this guy would have no chance at a US med school and a Carribean school would take his cash and flunk him out after they collected his 100k a year check. They are notorious for this.  Accepting tons of people then weeding them out after they take their money.

Going into medicine or healthcare isn't just degree hacking a few more letters at the end of your name,  you are dealing with people's lives and all the weight that comes with that daily. 

Don't be like this guy if you value your sanity. Cool he achieved a goal, let's revisit his attitude a few years into practice.

I say this as a medical provider who has done this every day for 15 years. I get people want to check things off in life but this IMO is a weird way to do it.

Hello All, 
Long time lurker, but had to register to comment on this. I know several people who went to Medical School in the Caribbean and matched into competitive programs in the US. A friend of a friend didn't match into a Derm program, so she worked as an assistant physician (this is different from physician assistant)  under a doctor to get experience, applied again, and got accepted.

I have two associates currently enrolled in an online accredited Caribbean medical school where they will spend the first couple of years online, so they are studying from home. 

I think it's unfair to assume that all Caribbean medical schools are predatory. Maybe it's biased but friends who went to a Caribbean schools say that most horror students you hear about students being dismissed is because they didn't do well in the program. They go to a Caribbean school thinking it will be easy, but then they realize it isn't. All the accredited schools need to maintain a standard to stay accredited, just like US medical schools. 

I personally have no problem with anyone pursing a goal. If the guy in the OP doesn't end up pursing medicine, so what?
Anecdotes anecdotes, anecdotes. Go look up attrition rates, match rates, specialty match rates and yearly costs then get back to me. Most of the schools have INSANELY large classes at first because they want to cut people after taking their money. This isn’t a novel or new thing. It’s also absolutely not some sort of conspiracy. They prey on students who couldn’t get into US MD/DO programs because no one would attend if they had a US option.

Of course med school isn’t easy but they make it a grueling slog fest in the beginning for an insidious reason. Approximately 20-% don’t match on average and those that do usually get dumped into FM. 

You want to role the dice with hundreds of thousands of dollars, go for it. I would never advocate for Caribbean med schools unless it’s a last resort. If someone wants to go to med school for 4 years just for “fun”, I’d question their sanity.
(Today, 09:26 AM)Duneranger Wrote:
(Today, 07:53 AM)Bingbong Wrote:

Hello All, 

Anecdotes anecdotes, anecdotes. Go look up attrition rates, match rates, specialty match rates and yearly costs then get back to me. Most of the schools have INSANELY large classes at first because they want to cut people after taking their money. This isn’t a novel or new thing. It’s also absolutely not some sort of conspiracy. They prey on students who couldn’t get into US MD/DO programs because no one would attend if they had a US option.

Of course med school isn’t easy but they make it a grueling slog fest in the beginning for an insidious reason. Approximately 20-% don’t match on average and those that do usually get dumped into FM. 

You want to role the dice with hundreds of thousands of dollars, go for it. I would never advocate for Caribbean med schools unless it’s a last resort. If someone wants to go to med school for 4 years just for “fun”, I’d question their sanity.

Probably earning a lot more than someone who didn't want to take the risk and pursue their dream, because they sat on the internet and believed every horror story they read about Caribbean medical schools. 

I appreciate your opinion, but i am just relaying what actual medical students, who went to Medical School in the Caribbean experienced. 
Also, I am not going to police anyone's money. If someone whats to take the risk, and can afford to do so, it's not my place to convince them to do otherwise. *Shrug* Also, let us not act like it doesn't cost a pretty penny to apply to match programs in the US.
There are many competent doctors practicing in the US who attended medical school in the Caribbean, and until there are laws in place that state that no graduate outside of the US is allowed to apply to match, everyone pretty much has a chance, and every program is fair game.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,844 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,709 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,342 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 1,382 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 1,012 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,894 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  F in high school but 4.0 college gpa Spyrine 4 568 05-18-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 422 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 971 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 480 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger