Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions About GRE Test
How many of you who have gone on to grad school took the GRE? Was it required for entry, or optional?

I have polled several of my grad school friends, and some were of the opinion that it is a useless test; nevertheless, it is required in some instances.

Since I am wanting to use this as an alternative to the GMAT to get into business school (some biz schools accept GRE), I probably will just take it. I just want opinions about it first.
A.A. General Studies- TESC, 2013
B.A. History, TESC, 2014 - Arnold Fletcher Award - 4.0 GPA
M.A. Government, Security Studies - Johns Hopkins University, Class of 2018.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra

CLEP: Humanities 56, Social Sciences and History 58

FEMA: 6 credits

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

TESC courses: War and American Society (A), Liberal Arts Capstone (A).

120/120! I'm there!

"Another day has passed and I didn't use Algebra once."
" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. The questions you asked have nothing to do with opinions on the GRE. What only matters is if the school you want to attend requires a graduate admissions test and will accept the GRE. You can always find schools that don't require one, but they are often not the best if that matters to you. Of course, there are exceptions to this.

I took the GRE because it was required by the PhD programs I was looking at. My masters program did not require the GRE. In my opinion, the GRE wasn't as pointless as the version of the SAT I took back in the early 2000s. There are two different camps on the value of admissions tests. Some believe that they are a lazy way to thin the herds while others think they really do predict future performance.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Yes, a strong GRE score was required for me to apply to a competitive master's program. Like any test, it is easy to have mixed feelings about it. I had done well on previous tests, so this one was not that intimidating; however, it did feel like a lot of pressure for my future goals to be riding on the results of one test. In my case, I looked at it as the only opportunity to compare my academic record equally with other applicants, since my undergraduate education was almost entirely non-traditional. I wanted to do very well and not leave any doubt about my abilities. I left feedback with my experience in my signature. I hope more students from this forum will try taking the GRE and not limit their graduate school options by avoiding it.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
No GRE Required | What You Make of It.

Great website on where to go to get a Masters or PhD without stopping off for the GRE test. Smile
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current:
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
There are also schools which allow the potential student to select between the GRE and Miller Analogies Test (MAT), plus others which just outright require the MAT.
The GRE is a beast, no doubt about it. My school flat-out required it, no exceptions. I will advise you to make certain WHICH GRE you need, there is the general and the subject tests. Most require only the general. Take studying for it seriously, this test is a monster.
BA Psychology - TESC

CLEP Biology - 56
CLEP Human Growth and Development - 56
CLEP College Mathematics - 54
CLEP Educational Psychology - 58
CLEP Social Sciences and History - 70
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 59
ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -B
ECE Research Methods in Psychology - B
DSST Substance Abuse - 429
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling - 53
DSST Intro to World Religion - 458
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:There are also schools which allow the potential student to select between the GRE and Miller Analogies Test (MAT), plus others which just outright require the MAT.

The Doctoral program for which I'm currently in the admissions process offered the choice between the two. I ended up taking the MAT because (no math) it was more my type of test (no math). I really liked the layout of the test (ok, there was some math but not much) and I did pretty well on it. I was glad for the choice because I'm not very fond of the GRE general test layout though I do have some extensive study materials for it should I ever need to take the test.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
^^Yes, I have many testing candidates tell me they would much rather sit through the MAT (120 analogies in 60 minutes) than the GRE (4-hour test I believe). Not much you can do to study for the MAT plus you get immediate unofficial results for the computerized version. I think it is also cheaper ($50 for the MAT).
corpsole2 Wrote:How many of you who have gone on to grad school took the GRE? Was it required for entry, or optional?

I have polled several of my grad school friends, and some were of the opinion that it is a useless test; nevertheless, it is required in some instances.

Since I am wanting to use this as an alternative to the GMAT to get into business school (some biz schools accept GRE), I probably will just take it. I just want opinions about it first.

I've taken both. I took the GRE several years ago prior to my MS, and took the GMAT about a year ago prior to beginning an MBA.
They're similar enough that IMO it doesn't matter that much which you take. The verbal sections are similar. The GMAT focuses more on reading comprehension and grammar, the GRE more on vocabulary
The GMAT math seems to be heavily weighted toward Geometry while the GRE is more balanced.

The best thing is find what the programs you're interested in require, get some study materials and take that test.

One piece of advice. Many schools ignore the essay portion school. Call the admissions office of the school(s) you're interested in. If they don't evaluate it, you can skip doing it and save some time on test day.
TMW2010 Wrote:The Doctoral program for which I'm currently in the admissions process offered the choice between the two. I ended up taking the MAT because (no math) it was more my type of test (no math). I really liked the layout of the test (ok, there was some math but not much) and I did pretty well on it. I was glad for the choice because I'm not very fond of the GRE general test layout though I do have some extensive study materials for it should I ever need to take the test.

(no math!!)
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current:
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elite colleges are lying about how much test scores mean LevelUP 0 210 06-12-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Test score rogeryoung 4 472 04-24-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: rogeryoung
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 422 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 757 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  SOPHIA----Opinions on courses??? midnite123 19 2,229 11-01-2023, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 7,014 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  SANS FOR500 Test and college credit vetvso 5 1,275 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Inside the Vast National Experiment in Test-Optional College Admissions LevelUP 2 1,065 04-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test vetvso 2 910 02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Med School Tutors now part of Blueprint Test Prep! bjcheung77 0 556 11-01-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77