Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Degree Seeker needs 6 sem hours of Principles of Accounting
for a job promotion. Need suggestions and low $ per credit/semester hour please!

I have read about Straighterline and Ed2Go, but do they actually give me a transcript showing the 6 semester hours earned or do I need to be in a program earning a degree so that they can transfer these hours to?

Thank you!
Here's one good source - LSU. LSU Continuing Education Campus is closed till tomorrow (Hurricane Isaac) so I can't see course listings till then, but I'm almost positive you can get 2 3-credit accounting courses. You'll know Friday, I guess. Least expensive RA 4-year school credits I know of. Last I looked, 3-credit courses were around $240+ - that's $80 a credit-hour.

Straighterline - you'd get your 6 credits when they're transferred to one of their partner colleges. At least, so says the website. LSU - you get them right away, naturally. And no, you don't have to be enrolled in a degree program with LSU. In fact, (sadly) they don't offer enough distance courses to complete any particular degree that way. At those prices, many wish they did. Great school.

A second low-cost way might be Penn Foster College http://www.pennfoster.edu . The school is Nationally Accredited (DETC) not RA - but the courses are pretty well all ACE-reviewed, which means they should be considered OK for transfer to RA. If your employer will accept this type of accreditation, with ACE-reviewed courses, this would be a low-cost source. Penn Foster will usually sell their courses singly, without enrolment in a degree program -- and I think it works out to around $80 a credit.

Distance study through a community college (RA) is available. One of the most popular is here: http://www.clovis.edu. Again, good school - and its popularity is due in part to its low cost per credit.

Another alternative might be - a Community college near you. "In-State" tuition can be astonishingly low, some places. I hear it's under $40 a credit in some states - and of course we're talking RA. I've done those six credits you're looking for -- I did 'em here, at a Canadian community college. And I can tell you -- as long as the school has proper accreditation - let price be your guide. Nothing else. What you'll learn is pretty much the same -- anywhere you take it. I wish you every success. You'll do well, I'm sure.

Johann
Johann Wrote:Here's one good source - LSU. LSU Continuing Education Campus is closed till tomorrow (Hurricane Isaac) so I can't see course listings till then, but I'm almost positive you can get 2 3-credit accounting courses. You'll know Friday, I guess. Least expensive RA 4-year school credits I know of. Last I looked, 3-credit courses were around $240+ - that's $80 a credit-hour.

Straighterline - you'd get your 6 credits when they're transferred to one of their partner colleges. At least, so says the website. LSU - you get them right away, naturally. And no, you don't have to be enrolled in a degree program with LSU. In fact, (sadly) they don't offer enough distance courses to complete any particular degree that way. At those prices, many wish they did. Great school.

A second low-cost way might be Penn Foster College Penn Foster Career School | Self-Paced, Distance Learning Programs . The school is Nationally Accredited (DETC) not RA - but the courses are pretty well all ACE-reviewed, which means they should be considered OK for transfer to RA. If your employer will accept this type of accreditation, with ACE-reviewed courses, this would be a low-cost source. Penn Foster will usually sell their courses singly, without enrolment in a degree program -- and I think it works out to around $80 a credit.

Distance study through a community college (RA) is available. One of the most popular is here: Clovis Community College. Again, good school - and its popularity is due in part to its low cost per credit.

Another alternative might be - a Community college near you. "In-State" tuition can be astonishingly low, some places. I hear it's under $40 a credit in some states - and of course we're talking RA. I've done those six credits you're looking for -- I did 'em here, at a Canadian community college. And I can tell you -- as long as the school has proper accreditation - let price be your guide. Nothing else. What you'll learn is pretty much the same -- anywhere you take it. I wish you every success. You'll do well, I'm

Johann

:iagree: That's some good advice.

One note: I think that the LSU classes are now $400 (3 semester hours). They have a lot of Accounting classes to choose from.

If your employer accepted the courses on an ACE transcript, it wouldn't be necessary to ship them through a partner college.

Another option is (if your employer will accept it) take the CLEP or DSST for Financial Accounting and take the new TESC TECEP, Managerial Accounting. That would total around $200 ($100 for the TECEP and $100 for the CLEP or DSST).

Lot's of options out there, find out which ones your employer will accept and then go from there. Good luck!
Also, check the University of Wyoming for correspondence courses:

Courses | Correspondence Study | Outreach Credit Programs | Outreach School | University of Wyoming
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
All the above are fantastic. Smile

Also! Excelsior College fairly recently introduced Excelsior College Examinations in Financial Accounting (3 sh) and Managerial Accounting (3 sh).

Graded credit with ACCX-211 and 212 codes, originating from and transcripted by a regionally accredited college. $95 per test. The candidate should have score and grade reports printed after completion at the examination center, and would have an unofficial student transcript-like-thing you could view free online. An official transcript is currently $12.

Similarly! Thomas Edison State College TECEP Tests in Principles of Financial Accounting (3 sh) and Principles of Managerial Accounting (3 sh).

ACC-10*. $99 each plus any fee to your testing center, which can be an ALA-accredited library in the U.S., I think. They will mail a transcript-like report if credit is earned at no additional charge. An official transcript is currently $10.

Unlike the ECEs, TECEPs are pass-fail. Registration can be a bit of a hassle. ECEs are computer-based; TECEPs are pencil-and-paper with Scantron-style sheets for the multiple-choice ones.
New ECEs, thats great for those who have failed the CLEP or who don't want to take SL courses.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,457 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,554 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,702 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia