Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Board -anxious about Clep
I am new to this site. I found out about it just today from another online student. I am currently taking my last class with Ashford U. I have only to clep out of Information Systems. hilarious I am an old gal (46). I work with computers daily, but know nothing of the inner workings or mechanics of them. I have textbooks that were given to me by computer tech instructors. I teach at a community college so I have that resource. I have downloaded the clep exam practice test for north carolina. I am also studying with instacert. I still don't know half of what I should.Sad I plan to take the clep test on Nov. 20. If I do not pass I will not graduate as scheduled in Decembe nor will I get the big raise i am expecting following graduation. Another thing:confused: these stupid smiley faces aren't working for me!!LOL. I appreciate any and all advise from anyone. I would love to know how to study best for the exam, focus of exam and just general advise. Thanks to all and can someone please tell me how to make my faces smile:mad:
ncbeachgirl Wrote:I am new to this site. I found out about it just today from another online student. I am currently taking my last class with Ashford U. I have only to clep out of Information Systems. hilarious I am an old gal (46). I work with computers daily, but know nothing of the inner workings or mechanics of them. . . .

You'll want to search the site for additional tips on this exam, but. . .
1. Check to see if there's a Peterson's practice test for this exam. That will give you a good idea of where you stand, quickly. Don't feel bad if you bomb it the first time through, as the Peterson's exams are MUCH harder than the actual CLEPs.
2. If you've signed up for the InstantCert program, make use of their flash cards, etc. and drill, drill, drill. This may actually prove to be more than enough to get you by.
3. Realize that if you work with computers every day, that'll help you WAY more than you can imagine right now. This exam will probably focus more on how businesses use computers than the bits and bytes of it.
4. Don't rush too furiously to take the exam. Granted, you have very little time left, but the more time you can give yourself to study the better you'll feel. For many, cramming too furiously can give extra stress with too few results to show for it.

All I can tell you. Good luck.
Glad you joined! This site makes things so much more enjoyable!

You definately can pass the Info. Systems CLEP. I used some computer book to study for this test (don't know the name of it -- but it shouldn't be too hard to find something).
Anyway, you don't have to know everthing to pass a CLEP -- but you do need to know basics. Peterson's does have a practice test -- and I would be sure to get in the 40% range correct before taking the actual test.

On the actual CLEP - go through the entire test: answer the questions you KNOW - mark the questions that are too long/that you don't know. After going through the entire test, click "review" - and answer the checked questions. If you do this- you won't get freaked out about the time-limit.

You can do it!!
Wink Hey thanks for all the advise. I have started with the flash cards and making notes as I go along.I plan to study for an hour a day until I can answer most okay and understand them. Thanks for responding. If I can help anyone let me know.
Hello, Welcome to the forum, and Congrats on nearing completion of your degree!

I too was a bit intimidated with the Info Systems CLEP. I studied my keester off using the IC cards and totally bombed the Peterson's tests; it really shook my confidence in my ability to pass the real exam. Thanks to the encouragement from several members on this forum, I went ahead and took the test anyway and earned an A. Just as Peterdude stated, the Peterson's tests are much more difficult than the real tests, the Info Systems practice tests were ridiculously more difficult; almost like they were for a completely different subject. I personally wouldn't suggest taking them as they did more damage than good. If you have the info on the IC cards memorized (questions, answers AND explanations) you will do fine. Good Luck!
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,831 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 676 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,197 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,049 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Homeschool forums/message board? Goldilocks! 1 786 06-21-2022, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Can We Please Have an Inspirational/I’m Done Board? Tedium 2 725 03-15-2022, 07:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 1,086 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,824 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,452 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,390 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az