Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help planning on a degree
Your Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Your Age: 21
What kind of degree do you want?: Industrial Engineering or Supply Chain Management
Current Regional Accredited Credits:

ASU:4
CIS 194 - Business Technology Fundamentals -1
MAT 265 - Calculus 1 for Engineers - 3

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

Sophia Credits: 18

Introduction to Web Development - 3
Introduction to College Mathematics - 3
Introduction to Statistics - 3
Precalculus - 3
College Algebra - 3
Conflict Resolution - 3
Public Speaking - 3

Study.com Credits: 3

General Chemistry - 3

Any certifications or military experience? None
Budget: I have about $18k, but I can use more if necessary.
Commitments: I currently just work full time and can work on my studies part time or in the evenings/weekends. I can make my studies a priority if necessary.
Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or weekends as long as my schedule is free, between 20-25 hours of study time or more if necessary.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 3 years.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I would say no, not sure if that falls here but I could get pell grants, I'm trying to avoid to get student loans.

In a similar post I made about 4 months ago, I made a post regarding wanting a degree to obtain a new position which required me to have an engineering degree per managements decision, well now I'm still looking to obtain a technical degree preferably an engineering one, and I'm currently looking at Indiana Tech's Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering degree, but as I could also go for a supply chain management one or perhaps for the time being I could get it done faster as I know the IME one would take longer. I thought of also going UMPI's route for the BA in Business Administration - Supply Chain Management Concentration as I've heard it can be completed but I also think of Indiana Tech's IME since it's more in focus with what I want, I'm not sure if it would be better to go for a SMC degree as it can done faster, my career goal is to have a technical degree and work with data and manufacturing which is why I look at the IME degree. What other options do I have, other degrees or schools perhaps or should I stick with Indiana Tech's IME degree, thank you.
Why not both? Check Indiana Tech's policy on second degrees, but getting a degree at UMPI would only cost about $3-5k. Depending on Indiana Tech's actual policies, having a prior degree could substantially reduce the costs of attending Indiana Tech. Usually, if a university allows second degrees, persons who have a prior degree are waived from having to take the gen eds and the electives, leaving 30-45 credits in the second degree. Get the fast UMPI degree now, work on the slower Indiana Tech degree at a more relaxed pace.

Depending on Indiana Tech's alt-credit policy and second degree policy, this has the potential to "force" them to accept Sophia credits towards the degree even if they normally would not.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If you're eligible for Pell Grants you could use them for the UMPI program.  I agree with rachel83az about checking with Indiana Tech's 2nd bachelor policy - first that they allow you to get a bachelor if you already have one, and secondly if there is any waiver of things like Gen Eds (or similar).  Also be aware that once you have a bachelor (from anywhere) you will no longer be eligible for additional Pell Grants (this does not seem like an issue for you, but you need to be aware). If you went with the BABA-SCM from UMPI I would definitely encourage you to apply for financial aid and utilize any Pell Grant available. If you were somehow able to get your UMPI bachelor for free (due to grant) that money you would have spent out of pocket can be used for the Indiana Tech program. Please do report back here what Indiana Tech says about earning 2nd bachelor; I did find this page online (but it isn't exactly clear) - https://financialservices.indianatech.ed...valuation/ 

You may also want to make the same 2nd bachelor inquiry to the other schools that had been on your list. If one does leave you with less courses to complete as a result of it being a 2nd bachelor, it might give you other options to complete a ABET program that didn't work prior to it now becoming a 2nd bachelor vs 1st. I suspect that already having a bachelor (in anything) could open up new opportunities for you. Another thing would it be possible to get into a ABET master program that would meet your needs with a non-ABET bachelor, if so then that is another option for you.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • JArody07
(06-08-2023, 03:00 PM)JArody07 Wrote: Your Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
What kind of degree do you want?: Industrial Engineering or Supply Chain Management

Precalculus - 3
College Algebra - 3
Conflict Resolution - 3
Public Speaking - 3

General Chemistry - 3

Commitments: I currently just work full time and can work on my studies part time or in the evenings/weekends. I can make my studies a priority if necessary.
Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or weekends as long as my schedule is free, between 20-25 hours of study time or more if necessary.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 3 years.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I would say no, not sure if that falls here but I could get pell grants, I'm trying to avoid to get student loans.

In a similar post I made about 4 months ago, I made a post regarding wanting a degree to obtain a new position which required me to have an engineering degree per managements decision, well now I'm still looking to obtain a technical degree preferably an engineering one, and I'm currently looking at Indiana Tech's Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering degree, but as I could also go for a supply chain management one or perhaps for the time being I could get it done faster as I know the IME one would take longer. I thought of also going UMPI's route for the BA in Business Administration - Supply Chain Management Concentration as I've heard it can be completed but I also think of Indiana Tech's IME since it's more in focus with what I want, I'm not sure if it would be better to go for a SMC degree as it can done faster, my career goal is to have a technical degree and work with data and manufacturing which is why I look at the IME degree. What other options do I have, other degrees or schools perhaps or should I stick with Indiana Tech's IME degree, thank you.

isnt there a UCB MEng in Engineering Management which can be done without a prior bachelor if you earn admissions? Why dont you look into that I think UCB will open many more doors in the world of engineering and in terms of time it wouldnt take that much longer
(06-09-2023, 04:04 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Why not both? Check Indiana Tech's policy on second degrees, but getting a degree at UMPI would only cost about $3-5k. Depending on Indiana Tech's actual policies, having a prior degree could substantially reduce the costs of attending Indiana Tech. Usually, if a university allows second degrees, persons who have a prior degree are waived from having to take the gen eds and the electives, leaving 30-45 credits in the second degree. Get the fast UMPI degree now, work on the slower Indiana Tech degree at a more relaxed pace.

Depending on Indiana Tech's alt-credit policy and second degree policy, this has the potential to "force" them to accept Sophia credits towards the degree even if they normally would not.

Hi Rachel, thank you for your reply, I hadn't thought of that actually but if it is possible that would be great! I contacted Indiana Tech for more accurate info and see what they say but if it is possible then I would more than likely go that route.

(06-09-2023, 07:06 AM)allvia Wrote: If you're eligible for Pell Grants you could use them for the UMPI program.  I agree with rachel83az about checking with Indiana Tech's 2nd bachelor policy - first that they allow you to get a bachelor if you already have one, and secondly if there is any waiver of things like Gen Eds (or similar).  Also be aware that once you have a bachelor (from anywhere) you will no longer be eligible for additional Pell Grants (this does not seem like an issue for you, but you need to be aware). If you went with the BABA-SCM from UMPI I would definitely encourage you to apply for financial aid and utilize any Pell Grant available. If you were somehow able to get your UMPI bachelor for free (due to grant) that money you would have spent out of pocket can be used for the Indiana Tech program. Please do report back here what Indiana Tech says about earning 2nd bachelor; I did find this page online (but it isn't exactly clear) - https://financialservices.indianatech.ed...valuation/ 

You may also want to make the same 2nd bachelor inquiry to the other schools that had been on your list. If one does leave you with less courses to complete as a result of it being a 2nd bachelor, it might give you other options to complete a ABET program that didn't work prior to it now becoming a 2nd bachelor vs 1st. I suspect that already having a bachelor (in anything) could open up new opportunities for you. Another thing would it be possible to get into a ABET master program that would meet your needs with a non-ABET bachelor, if so then that is another option for you.

I will keep that in mind, I didn't know that about Pell Grants, I don't have one so yeah it shouldn't be an issue for me, and yes I will, I did contact Indiana Tech today in regards to what their policy is and if they have any waiver for general eds or some sort but if they do I would go that route. I think I would need to do more research but I know there's some schools that have online ABET programs however I wasn't sure because I know most do not accept ACE credits like sophia and they obviously take longer, I was looking at University of Arizona's Electrical and Computer Engineering degree, as well as University of North Dakota's Mechanical Engineering degree since both of those options are online. However I was also looking at the option of after getting the IME from Indiana Tech go for a Masters in Industrial Engineering from the University of Central Florida since their Bachelors program is ABET accredited.
(06-09-2023, 08:13 AM)IReallyNeedADegree Wrote:
(06-08-2023, 03:00 PM)JArody07 Wrote: Your Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Precalculus - 3
College Algebra - 3
Conflict Resolution - 3
Public Speaking - 3

General Chemistry - 3

isnt there a UCB MEng in Engineering Management which can be done without a prior bachelor if you earn admissions? Why dont you look into that I think UCB will open many more doors in the world of engineering and in terms of time it wouldnt take that much longer
Wait, UC Berkeley? or which school? thanks

(06-09-2023, 07:06 AM)allvia Wrote: If you're eligible for Pell Grants you could use them for the UMPI program.  I agree with rachel83az about checking with Indiana Tech's 2nd bachelor policy - first that they allow you to get a bachelor if you already have one, and secondly if there is any waiver of things like Gen Eds (or similar).  Also be aware that once you have a bachelor (from anywhere) you will no longer be eligible for additional Pell Grants (this does not seem like an issue for you, but you need to be aware). If you went with the BABA-SCM from UMPI I would definitely encourage you to apply for financial aid and utilize any Pell Grant available. If you were somehow able to get your UMPI bachelor for free (due to grant) that money you would have spent out of pocket can be used for the Indiana Tech program. Please do report back here what Indiana Tech says about earning 2nd bachelor; I did find this page online (but it isn't exactly clear) - https://financialservices.indianatech.ed...valuation/ 

I did contact Indiana Tech asking if they have any sort of waiver for general ed or such in terms of getting a second degree, and this is their reply "Thanks for asking. We would evaluate those previous credits against the degree in question. One school’s general ed requirements are not necessarily reflective of those of another school. To perform the evaluation we need at least unofficial transcripts for all schools attended. Official copies will also work."
(06-09-2023, 09:37 AM)JArody07 Wrote:

Precalculus - 3
College Algebra - 3
Conflict Resolution - 3
Public Speaking - 3

General Chemistry - 3

I did contact Indiana Tech asking if they have any sort of waiver for general ed or such in terms of getting a second degree, and this is their reply "Thanks for asking. We would evaluate those previous credits against the degree in question. One school’s general ed requirements are not necessarily reflective of those of another school. To perform the evaluation we need at least unofficial transcripts for all schools attended. Official copies will also work."
sorry for the confusion i didnt mean UCB as in University of California Berkeley I meant University of Colorado Boulder partnered with coursera and offers an M.Eng in Engineering Management
(06-09-2023, 11:32 AM)IReallyNeedADegree Wrote:

Precalculus - 3
College Algebra - 3
Conflict Resolution - 3
Public Speaking - 3

General Chemistry - 3

sorry for the confusion i didnt mean UCB as in University of California Berkeley I meant University of Colorado Boulder partnered with coursera and offers an M.Eng in Engineering Management
Ohh that's awesome I'll check it out for sure! Thanks again
(06-09-2023, 11:38 AM)JArody07 Wrote:
(06-09-2023, 11:32 AM)IReallyNeedADegree Wrote:

Precalculus - 3
College Algebra - 3
Conflict Resolution - 3
Public Speaking - 3

General Chemistry - 3

Ohh that's awesome I'll check it out for sure! Thanks again

no problem I hope it works out!
@JArody07, Did you check your previous thread for info? Including your answer to my post here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid387411

Having UMPI BABA Supply Chain Management is a great option and you can ladder up to the Indiana Tech or another institution. The main thing you need to make sure of is to verify your prerequisites to the requirements for entry into that secondary degree.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tamuc & WGU planning advice onward25 7 124 25 minutes ago
Last Post: karehiro
  Degree advice pls starsfan33 2 56 2 hours ago
Last Post: starsfan33
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 3 280 5 hours ago
Last Post: spohara
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 6 201 6 hours ago
Last Post: davewill
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 251 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 247 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 202 09-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 544 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 289 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 302 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77