Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help with Deciding on an Online Accounting Masters Program
I am undecided and I hope someone can bring me some clarity. I am a resident of New Jersey. First I am trying to get accepted into either UConn, Stetson University, or Rider University for their online Masters Degree in Accounting. I don't know what my chances are with a BSBA degree with a concentration in accounting from Thomas Edison State University. I don't have the Bachelor's degree, but I am close to finishing. I took a lot of clep and a few dsst exams so I am not sure how these top schools would view that.

Secondly, my decision, if I get accepted that is, is to choose from a university whose online program is rated #2 in the US by US News and World Report, University of Connecticut. Also in that report, Stetson University is rated # 29. Stetson University is in Florida. My other choice is Rider University which is in New Jersey.

I like the program from Uconn because it seems to have a good selection of classes which you can kind of design your degree with up to 7 electives (I believe). It is highly regarded (it has to be if it's #2 in the US News report). The tuition is about $25,000 for the degree. This program can be completed in under a year.

I like the program from Stetson University in Florida because it allows you to take a single class at a time (semester is 5 weeks). I like the concept of taking one course at a time and being able to finish the program in less than a year's time. The total cost for the program is $27,000.

I like Rider University's program because it is in my home state (NJ). Their website claims they have many connections with top accounting firms and Fortune 500 companies. This program can be completed in 16 months. The cost is $30,000 for the degree. This is the costliest program and takes the longest to complete.

All 3 schools are AACSB accredited, which is the highest accreditation for a Business school.

Also, I looked at the following link below which ranks the online masters programs based on criteria such as cpa exam first time pass rate, the rate of employment after graduating, and also the type of money a graduate is likely to make after earning their degree.
Top 20 Master of Accounting Online Degree Programs 2015

I really would appreciate any feedback from anyone, but specially from someone who is in the Accounting field.
The ranking of the business school and accounting program will hold more weight than an online program ranking. When employers see your resume/application, they won't even know that you attended online, and it's probably best that they don't due to misconceptions about distance learning.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
chiqui163 Wrote:I am undecided and I hope someone can bring me some clarity. I am a resident of New Jersey. First I am trying to get accepted into either UConn, Stetson University, or Rider University for their online Masters Degree in Accounting. I don't know what my chances are with a BSBA degree with a concentration in accounting from Thomas Edison State University. I don't have the Bachelor's degree, but I am close to finishing. I took a lot of clep and a few dsst exams so I am not sure how these top schools would view that.

Secondly, my decision, if I get accepted that is, is to choose from a university whose online program is rated #2 in the US by US News and World Report, University of Connecticut. Also in that report, Stetson University is rated # 29. Stetson University is in Florida. My other choice is Rider University which is in New Jersey.

I like the program from Uconn because it seems to have a good selection of classes which you can kind of design your degree with up to 7 electives (I believe). It is highly regarded (it has to be if it's #2 in the US News report). The tuition is about $25,000 for the degree. This program can be completed in under a year.

I like the program from Stetson University in Florida because it allows you to take a single class at a time (semester is 5 weeks). I like the concept of taking one course at a time and being able to finish the program in less than a year's time. The total cost for the program is $27,000.

I like Rider University's program because it is in my home state (NJ). Their website claims they have many connections with top accounting firms and Fortune 500 companies. This program can be completed in 16 months. The cost is $30,000 for the degree. This is the costliest program and takes the longest to complete.

All 3 schools are AACSB accredited, which is the highest accreditation for a Business school.

Also, I looked at the following link below which ranks the online masters programs based on criteria such as cpa exam first time pass rate, the rate of employment after graduating, and also the type of money a graduate is likely to make after earning their degree.
Top 20 Master of Accounting Online Degree Programs 2015

I really would appreciate any feedback from anyone, but specially from someone who is in the Accounting field.

I'm interested how you do with the application/acceptance process, due to the testing out of many classes. I am in a similar position, but look to go the MBA route. No one has really come back to this forum and told us if/how they were accepted by a top AACSB school with a TESU bachelors via testing out. Please keep us posted.
chiqui163 Wrote:it has to be if it's #2 in the US News report

Just a quick note about this - the US News & World Report is NOT a good way to make ANY decisions about college. EVER!

Your Annual Reminder to Ignore the U.S. News & World Report College Rankings - The Atlantic

College Rankings Can Be Good, But U.S. News' Miss the Mark - US News

The other thing to note when looking at particular colleges; just because a college is "good" doesn't mean that a specific program within the college is "great". A school may not do lots of things well, but if they do the thing YOU WANT well, then it should be considered in your list of choices. Yale may be a "great" school, but if they don't have a great engineering school, don't go there to become an engineer. Simple.

If I were looking to become an Accountant, and go on to a masters-level program, I would not take a single accounting course via testing; I would take them all the "regular" way (either butt-in-seat or online) for a grade. But it probably won't hurt much if you take some of your Gen Ed's via testing.

Also, you should always look at the schools you're thinking of going to, and figure out what they want, then work to get that. Are they going to look at your last 30 credits, or last 60 credits? If so, then you'll want to have at least 30 (or 60) graded credits. If they don't tell you, find out by calling.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore makes a very good point. Do you know if there's some way you can see which schools in which states have the highest passing rate for the CPA exam? That might be a way to determine which has a better program.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
In 2011, TESU had the highest CPA pass rate in New Jersey. But, if the person is looking for prestige, one is not going to find it with TESU.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thank you Sanantone. I really don't know the reputation the 3 schools have in the Accounting field. I don't know anyone or heard anyone talk about either school. I try to do a lot of research online and I hope to choose a good school, if they accept me of course. I know that Uconn has a good reputation as far as their Accounting program. Then again, I get this information from the regular rankings from US & News Report. This is for their regular program and not their online program.
DBRENNAN118 Wrote:I'm interested how you do with the application/acceptance process, due to the testing out of many classes. I am in a similar position, but look to go the MBA route. No one has really come back to this forum and told us if/how they were accepted by a top AACSB school with a TESU bachelors via testing out. Please keep us posted.

I will let you know when I do get accepted. I still have 6 classes to go though. Two Accounting classes (Advanced Accounting I and II). My plan is to test out of the other classes.
dfrecore Wrote:Just a quick note about this - the US News & World Report is NOT a good way to make ANY decisions about college. EVER!

Your Annual Reminder to Ignore the U.S. News & World Report College Rankings - The Atlantic

College Rankings Can Be Good, But U.S. News' Miss the Mark - US News

The other thing to note when looking at particular colleges; just because a college is "good" doesn't mean that a specific program within the college is "great". A school may not do lots of things well, but if they do the thing YOU WANT well, then it should be considered in your list of choices. Yale may be a "great" school, but if they don't have a great engineering school, don't go there to become an engineer. Simple.

If I were looking to become an Accountant, and go on to a masters-level program, I would not take a single accounting course via testing; I would take them all the "regular" way (either butt-in-seat or online) for a grade. But it probably won't hurt much if you take some of your Gen Ed's via testing.

Also, you should always look at the schools you're thinking of going to, and figure out what they want, then work to get that. Are they going to look at your last 30 credits, or last 60 credits? If so, then you'll want to have at least 30 (or 60) graded credits. If they don't tell you, find out by calling.

dfrecore, do you have any suggestion on what rankings I should search. I do see all 3 schools in different online rankings for online Acconting programs.
sanantone Wrote:In 2011, TESU had the highest CPA pass rate in New Jersey. But, if the person is looking for prestige, one is not going to find it with TESU.

My plan is to finish this damn Bachelor's degree so I can hopefully get accepted to a good grad school. The reason I'm trying to get the degree from TESU is because they take many test out credits and old college credits. Of course I say that jokingly because of how long it feels to finish it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UN Masters Degree online for <9K David1477 7 758 Yesterday, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Need Help Choosing an Online MBA Program iamsam 8 340 Yesterday, 10:21 AM
Last Post: HoustonGuy
  JWMI MBA Program - My experience so far Vle045 33 4,221 08-31-2024, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  FHSU to offer MLS in Philosophy Online? MFG 9 1,059 08-27-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 54 37,047 08-27-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  TESU DBA and MS in Accounting sanantone 8 2,666 08-22-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Thoughts on LABASAD - Creative Online Masters - Escuela de Diseño Online magm 1 353 08-21-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Easiest routes to CPA and other accounting qualifications Robson 7 621 08-20-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Robson
  Cheap online MSSE or MSI? evenFair23 1 356 08-17-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CU Boulder Masters on Coursera spohara 17 7,912 08-15-2024, 09:30 PM
Last Post: spohara