Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Multiple Choice or Short PowerPoint / Projects
Does any of the classes on the new platform have MC or fairly short classes. Specifically UL courses. Just curious. I went to the post but it's not many reviews on the new system. Sorry if this has been asked. I just don't see much since the move.
Pierpont Community and Technical College - BOG A.A.S. Spring 2022 
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
I want to say thank you to EVERYONE for their assistance. You all are awesome!
The are no exams at UMPI now. Many courses have some ungraded quizzes. You'll be writing a lot. Every course has short answer essay Milestones which are ungraded and then the written Final Assessment which is either a paper, project, or PowerPoint or a combination of these things.
(04-04-2024, 10:43 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The are no exams at UMPI now. Many courses have some ungraded quizzes. You'll be writing a lot. Every course has short answer essay Milestones which are ungraded and then the written Final Assessment which is either a paper, project, or PowerPoint or a combination of these things.

I'm even okay with power points and projects lol. Hate writing lol
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
Almost every final is an essay. A handful is a powerpoint (not a lot). Expect to write a few paragraphs for each milestone, there's typically 6-8 per class these are ungraded. The finals are usually 5-10 pages for undergrad, and 10-15 pages for upper level undergrad.

For the master's, Graduate level expect closer to 20-25 pages for a final, and 4-10 pages for milestones.

(04-04-2024, 12:08 PM)learningthehardway Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 10:43 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The are no exams at UMPI now. Many courses have some ungraded quizzes. You'll be writing a lot. Every course has short answer essay Milestones which are ungraded and then the written Final Assessment which is either a paper, project, or PowerPoint or a combination of these things.

Don't worry about the writing part of their classes. Their rubrics are very clear with what the professor wants. There's often very detailed breakdowns. Sometimes you can just type a few sentences about each point they make on the final assignment, and boom, you're already at the word count they want Smile.

I've found them to not be super strict about proper grammar, proper paragraph sentencing (like how english professors want topic, point one, point two, etc in a paragraph in a certain order). Most professors are pretty good with you getting to the point and moving on.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • Pikachu
(04-04-2024, 12:40 PM)ashkir Wrote: Almost every final is an essay. A handful is a powerpoint (not a lot). Expect to write a few paragraphs for each milestone, there's typically 6-8 per class these are ungraded. The finals are usually 5-10 pages for undergrad, and 10-15 pages for upper level undergrad.

For the master's, Graduate level expect closer to 20-25 pages for a final, and 4-10 pages for milestones.

Don't worry about the writing part of their classes. Their rubrics are very clear with what the professor wants. There's often very detailed breakdowns. Sometimes you can just type a few sentences about each point they make on the final assignment, and boom, you're already at the word count they want Smile.

I've found them to not be super strict about proper grammar, proper paragraph sentencing (like how english professors want topic, point one, point two, etc in a paragraph in a certain order). Most professors are pretty good with you getting to the point and moving on.
Thanks because English 121, my goodness. I gotta revisit. It's nothing lik Eng 101 but I took that 20+ years ago soooo lol. Hate writing. Unless writing music, love that lol.
Honestly, if you hate writing I would strongly suggest looking at another University. As others have mentioned, you will be doing a metric ton of writing.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes Darknigh7's post:
  • ss20ts
(04-04-2024, 05:51 PM)Darknigh7 Wrote: Honestly, if you hate writing I would strongly suggest looking at another University. As others have mentioned, you will be doing a metric ton of writing.

Seems like danged if I do, danged if I don't. I hear other places have capstones with more writing than UMPI combined, then other schools have group projects which I would hate to have to reply on someone to do their part.
(04-04-2024, 08:06 PM)learningthehardway Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 05:51 PM)Darknigh7 Wrote: Honestly, if you hate writing I would strongly suggest looking at another University. As others have mentioned, you will be doing a metric ton of writing.

Seems like danged if I do, danged if I don't. I hear other places have capstones with more writing than UMPI combined, then other schools have group projects which I would hate to have to reply on someone to do their part.

Avoid group projects like the plague! I had one in a grad course last year and it was a complete cluster. One student plagiarized. One didn't speak English so he couldn't write to save his life. All of the work fell to me and 1 other person. I now avoid group projects in classes based on this experience. I know everyone has a different experience, but I'm not doing it again. Getting 4 people to coordinate a schedule to have Zoom calls when we were in 3 time zones was horrible.
(04-04-2024, 09:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 08:06 PM)learningthehardway Wrote:

Avoid group projects like the plague! I had one in a grad course last year and it was a complete cluster. One student plagiarized. One didn't speak English so he couldn't write to save his life. All of the work fell to me and 1 other person. I now avoid group projects in classes based on this experience. I know everyone has a different experience, but I'm not doing it again. Getting 4 people to coordinate a schedule to have Zoom calls when we were in 3 time zones was horrible.

Exactly! I remember it was a problem years ago. I refuse to go through it again. It's why I stayed away from WGU.
(04-04-2024, 12:56 PM)learningthehardway Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 12:40 PM)ashkir Wrote: Almost every final is an essay. A handful is a powerpoint (not a lot). Expect to write a few paragraphs for each milestone, there's typically 6-8 per class these are ungraded. The finals are usually 5-10 pages for undergrad, and 10-15 pages for upper level undergrad.

Thanks because English 121, my goodness. I gotta revisit. It's nothing lik Eng 101 but I took that 20+ years ago soooo lol. Hate writing. Unless writing music, love that lol.
This is college, college has writing. Just how it is. Even in bio I had to write papers.

Most degrees are not going to be chip shot easy multiple choice exams
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple Minors with BLS RachelB 3 596 05-12-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Chankosumo
  Short Upper Level Electives - Need 4 more classes galileom 16 2,528 09-09-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Multiple choice exam on final assessments twy2024 21 3,404 03-02-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: kidneysmasher
  UMPI Multiple Minor - Inquiry bjcheung77 31 7,353 10-31-2022, 11:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Multiple Choice Exams umpistudent 3 797 09-21-2022, 10:48 PM
Last Post: KSoul
  Upper Level Classes with Multiple Choice Finals? umpistudent 2 784 08-25-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Consideration - Length of time UMPI Professors take to grade papers and projects CCCC 10 2,171 04-13-2022, 09:30 AM
  Multiple discrepancies in transfer evaluation report path_seeker 4 870 03-08-2022, 05:42 PM
  Which classes in business Maggie have multiple choice exams? studyspo.dreaming 14 2,042 02-09-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Miyabi