Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move some threads to another area
Hey mods, is there a way to move posts that are not actually relevant to this area that can be moved to "Off-Topic"?  So much stuff gets posted in here, and for those of us who are still trying to help people, it's nice not to have to wade through a bunch of stuff totally unrelated to "General Education-Related" when we're busy and only have a little time.

Especially anything that's just a link to a random story, or is just posted for discussion's sake would better serve most if moved.  I feel like the forum gets very cluttered at times.

Just a thought. Not trying to be mean or single anyone out.  I don't care if people post all kinds of stuff, just want it all to be in the right place.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • carrythenothing
Usually, I click on "today's posts" or "unread posts" and can quickly find all the new threads from all forums. 

I have been holding back, starting only like 3 threads a day. It would be easy to do 10+ threads a day!!! lol

If we move everything to the off-topic, that forum will get cluttered, and people who were only interested in education-related topics would not want to sift through all the other off-topic stuff. 

It would be nice if we had a "introduce yourself forum" to make it easier for newbies to introduce themselves instead of lurking for a year, waiting till they are almost ready to enroll to say something.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-24-2022, 05:44 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Usually, I click on "today's posts" or "unread posts" and can quickly find all the new threads from all forums. 

If we move everything to the off-topic, that forum will get cluttered, and people who were only interested in education-related topics would not want to sift through all the other off-topic stuff. 

1) I really do not want to look at every post, so taking things out of where they don't belong makes sense, and gives those of us who have limited time the ability to spend in on just what we want to look at.

2) you just made my point - people who were only interested in education-related topics would not want to sift through all the other off-topic stuff.  Yes, I KNOW.

General Education-related isn't "generally educational type stuff", it's "GenEd related" as in related to General Education. As in the courses you need to take for a degree.  It's not a bunch of stuff kinda sorta related to the education field as a whole.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Agree with dfrecore. We have an off topic section for a reason, and we should keep things in the proper categories (otherwise, why have categories? Just have one long obnoxious general section). And to be honest, it'd nice to be able to keep all the off topic junk somewhere easy to ignore.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Perhaps there is a difference of opinion as to what "education-related" means.  I know that I tend to treat the term rather broadly. Perhaps a new forum could be created. Something like "asking for help" keeping things more focused on that alone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • Vle045
(04-24-2022, 02:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Hey mods, is there a way to move posts that are not actually relevant to this area that can be moved to "Off-Topic"?  So much stuff gets posted in here, and for those of us who are still trying to help people, it's nice not to have to wade through a bunch of stuff totally unrelated to "General Education-Related" when we're busy and only have a little time.

Especially anything that's just a link to a random story, or is just posted for discussion's sake would better serve most if moved.  I feel like the forum gets very cluttered at times.

Just a thought. Not trying to be mean or single anyone out.  I don't care if people post all kinds of stuff, just want it all to be in the right place.

Mods, please move this to Off Topic
it is not related to "General Education-Related Discussion"
The current description of this forum is "Very general education-related discussion. Check the other areas first."

I interpret that to mean sort of a catch-all forum for anything education-related.

The goal is to make the website user-friendly so whatever everyone feels is the best way to do things, I'm down for it.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Vle045
I have always taken this section to mean General *Education-Related*, not *General Education*-Related. As though the hyphen is meant to tie those two words together.

Perhaps for clarification, the section could be renamed “Other Education Related”, if that is truly what it was meant to be. Then it would remove any question on whether it is meant as “General Education” courses or General topics about Education.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(04-26-2022, 07:40 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I have always taken this section to mean General *Education-Related*, not *General Education*-Related.   As though the hyphen is meant to tie those two words together.  

Same. The forum has "Degree Planning Advice", "Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, InstantCertCredit.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion", and "General "Big 3", B&M colleges, and other colleges" for people who have questions about degrees or specific courses. Also, the description says "Very general education-related discussion. Check the other areas first." 

Perhaps we should start moving threads out of General Education-Related Discussion and to other areas when the posts aren't about education in general. That might lead to less confusion.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,192 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there any way I can hide threads that I am not interested in? fmsoa 4 612 01-05-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Making The Right Move Is Key Kal Di 2 519 06-22-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  West Virginia Will Pay You to Move There sanantone 23 1,986 07-13-2021, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Cambridge First UK Uni to Move to Online-Only for 2020-21 PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 5 1,035 05-21-2020, 03:23 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Wichita Promise Move sanantone 0 927 01-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  What age did you move out? natshar 13 2,546 10-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Mouse not scrolling through DegreeForum threads bjcheung77 1 1,004 04-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Property Pricing in your area - gone up or down? bjcheung77 37 3,561 06-27-2016, 03:47 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  I Get to Move to the Dissertation Phase sanantone 6 1,020 11-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer