Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most affordable online Masters program? Any universitys offer in-state tuition?
cookderosa,
thanks for the info, you been alot of help. I think Im going to go for it since its pretty affordable and it's still a M.A. even if I dont get in a adjunct position. Im pretty sure I went to your "huge" cc. If it's the one Im thinking off it just added a nice sciences and health addition. I got many hours from them, I went there the last year they were on quarters I believe. I looked at University of Phoenix requirements for adjunct positions it says:

To qualify as a University of Phoenix faculty member, you'll need to meet the following minimum criteria*:

Have a master's or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution (or the international equivalent) related to the subject you wish to teach. (Some courses require a doctoral degree. Being a Spanish MBA online instructor requires being fluent in English and Spanish.)
Work experience related to the subject you wish to teach. Requirements vary by course and program.
Spanish MBA online instructors must be fluent in English and Spanish.
*Each candidate's experience and academic preparation will be reviewed to meet the established requirements developed for each program and specific course. Some degree programs require more specific qualifications.

Getting Started
Because our courses begin each week, it’s always a good time to apply. Your journey toward becoming a faculty member begins with your submission of an interest form. We will then determine if you meet our current needs. If so, your resume and transcripts will be requested, evaluated and you may be contacted to continue with the interview process. If you are selected to be a faculty candidate, you will begin a series of trainings and evaluations before instructing specific courses.

So Im guessing with a Masters it would be very hard considering most of applicants probably have Phd's, anyways thanks for the heads up,
Adam
adamd13 Wrote:cookderosa,
thanks for the info, you been alot of help. I think Im going to go for it since its pretty affordable and it's still a M.A. even if I dont get in a adjunct position. Im pretty sure I went to your "huge" cc. If it's the one Im thinking off it just added a nice sciences and health addition. I got many hours from them, I went there the last year they were on quarters I believe. I looked at University of Phoenix requirements for adjunct positions it says:

To qualify as a University of Phoenix faculty member, you'll need to meet the following minimum criteria*:

Have a master's or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution (or the international equivalent) related to the subject you wish to teach. (Some courses require a doctoral degree. Being a Spanish MBA online instructor requires being fluent in English and Spanish.)
Work experience related to the subject you wish to teach. Requirements vary by course and program.
Spanish MBA online instructors must be fluent in English and Spanish.
*Each candidate's experience and academic preparation will be reviewed to meet the established requirements developed for each program and specific course. Some degree programs require more specific qualifications.

Getting Started
Because our courses begin each week, it’s always a good time to apply. Your journey toward becoming a faculty member begins with your submission of an interest form. We will then determine if you meet our current needs. If so, your resume and transcripts will be requested, evaluated and you may be contacted to continue with the interview process. If you are selected to be a faculty candidate, you will begin a series of trainings and evaluations before instructing specific courses.

So Im guessing with a Masters it would be very hard considering most of applicants probably have Phd's, anyways thanks for the heads up,
Adam
>>

Yes, because UoP is a 4 year school, so they will require a % of doctorate prepared teachers (I don't remember the % required).
I don't think you attended my school since we were never on quarters, but have taught for Eastern Iowa Community College District (at Scott Community College Bettendorf campus) for 17 years. I teach in an AAS program so master's degrees are not required (which is the standard everywhere). I have no problems saying the name of my school, it's easy enough to find people on google, I like to keep things on the up and up. Did you go to DMAC?
Tuition and Fees

The Online Baccalaureate now offers two majors, a distinctive online Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication and Culture, and an innovative online Bachelor of Science degree in Business.

Both of these outstanding, accredited degrees use an interactive online format to take full advantage of current technologies. They also provide flexible and convenient ways for working adults to complete their baccalaureate degree.

New York State Residency Not Required
The CUNY Online Baccalaureate is available to in-state, out-of-state and international students at the same tuition rate.

The Online Baccalaureate team will help to make the application as simple and clear as possible. For questions about the degree or assistance in completing the CUNY Online Admissions Application you can chat live online, day or evening, with an Advisor or call 212-652-CUNY (2869). Applications to the CUNY Online Baccalaureate are accepted on a rolling basis.

Undergraduate Tuition

Full-time students - $2,300.00 per semester
Part-time students - $195.00 per credit

Fees

Application Fee - $70.00 (one time fee)
Online Education Program Fee - $75.00
Technology Fee
Full-time students - $100.00
Part-time students - $50.00
Consolidated Service Fee - $15.00
Infrastructure Fee - $75.00

Other Fees

Late Registration Fees - $25.00
Transcript Fee - $7.00 per copy

Academic advisors and faculty members will evaluate your transcript(s) in order to make admissions decisions and to determine the number of previously earned credits that transfer into the program.

All students applying to the CUNY Online Baccalaureate must have at least a minimum of 30 transferable credits from an accredited college, university, and/or proprietary school to be eligible for acceptance into the program. A maximum of 90 credits of prior academic course work may transfer into the program. All students registered in the CUNY Online Baccalaureate are required to complete the 30-credit (ten courses) requirement of their particular degree.
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
o Im way off lol sorry. I went to College of Dupage, pretty big community college Im sure you know. I thought thats what you meant because you're were from Illinois, I wasnt thinking quad cities area. I've heard the for-proft pay for online instructor's is the lowest such as UofP but I figured they would have the most openings and be most flexible on qualifications for instructors but who knows I think its bad that UofP charges the most for online tuition and then cant pass it down to the ones actually doing the work. Do you know anyone that has completed the WNMU program?
adamd13 Wrote:o Im way off lol sorry. I went to College of Dupage, pretty big community college Im sure you know. I thought thats what you meant because you're were from Illinois, I wasnt thinking quad cities area. I've heard the for-proft pay for online instructor's is the lowest such as UofP but I figured they would have the most openings and be most flexible on qualifications for instructors but who knows I think its bad that UofP charges the most for online tuition and then cant pass it down to the ones actually doing the work. Do you know anyone that has completed the WNMU program?
>>

Ya know what, lol, I do live in IL and work in IA, not sure how I expected you to know that! hilarious
If you want to talk to someone almost done with the WNMU I can set you up with his email or you can search here: DegreeInfo Distance Learning Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin for him and othes with experience at that college. PM me if you want his name...but if you search WNMU history you'll find him- his initials are MB
Might be a silly question, but what exactly does UoP mean when it says "Work experience related to the subject you wish to teach"? Is this sort of thing a requirement at most community and online colleges?
I think UofP has different requirements because of their "group" assignments and the way they lay out their classes. I could be wrong but I think community colleges only require work experience as a requirement if you do a AAS degree such as cookderosa's occupation and other occupations such as x-ray and such. I think it would be hard to get a job at UofP that wasnt business related such as history,psy.etc because their courses are very limited in those areas.
cookderosa,
thanks for the info I will check out that message board thanks.
Nice thread. Right now I am very interested in WNMU. I just emailed them with an interesting question.

Suppose I have to take a few courses to fulfill my Excelsior undergraduate degree. If I register as a "Special Student" at WNMU and take 1-2 courses, could I then apply them to both EC Bachelor's and WNMU Master's? That would save even more money, and this school already offers a ton of savings. Being regionally accredited makes it a very tempting option.
75 credits in four months using InstantCert.

B.S. Liberal Arts, Excelsior College, cum laude.

Plus, one Washington Post blurb here.
I doubt you can use them at both. WNMU doesn't seem to answer back too quickly to specific questions. Im enrolled in 2 courses for spring '10 and completing my bachelor in a few weeks. WNMU will likely not accept courses applied to another degree.

I would just save the courses you complete at WNMU towards WNMU seeing that EC takes tests to complete a degree. My communtiy college cost $116 credit hour/ WNMU $117 Masters credit hour.

The only downside seems that their blackboard looks pretty bad. Not as user friendly as any I've used before and the lack of online classes for each concentration.

I was told by someone at WNMU that their thesis option may change from one 6 hour option(only 3 credit hours) to a two 3 hour choice which would be 3 credit hours each.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,942 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 674 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  NPR Labeled "State-Affiliated" by Twitter LevelUP 6 924 04-10-2023, 11:34 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 513 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
Shocked A ‘once in a generation’ winter storm will impact nearly every state! LevelUP 8 1,318 12-28-2022, 01:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Easiest State to Become a Certified Teacher - Arizona??? sanantone 8 1,990 11-26-2022, 12:46 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Antarctic Theocratic State of San Giorgio Alpha 0 529 09-04-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 555 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  US Expat Response to the State of America Kal Di 1 635 06-10-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 2,214 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045