Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe throwing in the towel
I'm losing confidence in being able to finish this. I started on precalculus and despite getting an A in Algebra 10 years ago, I'm just going way too slow...and I'm only on the algebra review. I spend literally the entire day on one section of one (pre) chapter and still don't finish. At this pace it will take me year and a half or longer (!!) just to finish this subject and pass an exam.

I don't have time to study for any of my other needed classes because I keep getting stuck on this math and have to spend hours trying to figure it out.

My other credits are expiring so it if takes me over a year to complete everything I need, there will be more classes that keep getting added because my core credits I planned on using will be more than 10 years old.

I'm starting to think it's not worth it. It's so, SO frustrating. I'm just too slow to do it. It's not that I don't understand it, it just takes me way too long to figure it out. There is absolutely no way I'd be able to pass a timed exam without tons and tons more studying and practice. banghead

Maybe I should try ALEKS, do I need any books for that?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ok first of all this is not easy for ANYONE. As I've posted before, studying at times has brought me to tears. Just hang in there. If a degree were easy, more than 27% of the population would have one. It's tough.

Don't stop, don't put it off. You CAN do it. Try a bunch of different methods. Have you looked up youtube lectures? There are so many teachers out there with good and interesting lectures. I could not have made it through learning some of my finance formulas without youtube.

If all else fails, step away for a few. Take a walk or just open a window. Breathe. It will get better.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
The ALEKS sound like a good idea. I haven't used them yet, but from information I've gathered, the courses are self contained (no books). It will take you through a whole learning process, but it may take awhile to complete.

Don't feel bad. Deadlines can be so stressful and all you want to do is just finish. Keep your head up and take it one step at a time. Good luck =)
Hang in there - get some tutoring and don't look at the mountain ahead. It's really not that bad once you get going. I haven't taken precalc but math has always been my weakness also.

Find a tutor.

It's worth it.
[SIZE="2"]graduated
[/SIZE]
It can be a daunting task just trying to find the right study method. There are alot of resources out there. I have watched videos on youtube, downloaded podcasts on Itunes, and even bought apps for my phone to assist me in studying. Sometimes its hard to learn things, since we have to condition ourselves, but never give up! Never surrender!
Romans 6:23 "The wages of sin are death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus."

CLEP:
Western Civ I - 65
Western Civ II - 59
Introduction to Psychology - 70

DSST:
Astronomy - 64
Environment and Humanity - 64
Do the aleks, pay for the mathway or another supplement if you need to. Dont give up, you can do it!

Where are you trying to complete? is straighterline an option for you, (do they offer pre-calc or calculas)? Straiterline does not require you to learn everything about the subject, just select topics. I think their syllabus is on the web...take a look and see if it's more doable.

DON'T LET A STINKIN MATH CLASS KEEP YOU FROM THIS!!!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Yeah don't let that happen. 10 year old credits expiring? They don't expire at TESC and my credits at USF didn't expire at USF over 10 years later. They transferred the old credits back into the college as new course numbers in some cases. That 10 year credit expiring idea is outdated I think.

TESC will accept precalc from ALEKs and straighterline and those are great options.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Wait a second, you are a TESC student. I transferred 70 credits to TESC from 1994-1998 with NO problems whatsoever. They transferred every single class I had taken which included some odd ones they don't offer like engineering economy and karate.

Did you get your degree eval back yet? Don't make any assumptions until you do. The registrar is very helpful and easy to deal with so talk to them and not the advisors about credit transfer.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!!

It took me 38 years and several colleges because I gave up to easy. When I finally found TESC and this forum I Did IT!!

TESC took my credits from as far back as 1972 (Long before most here were even a twinkle in the parents eye)

If you are having trouble with Math get help, it took me months and MANY hours to pass statistics, but I finally did it. Try a different method, you don't say how you are doing it, but there are plenty of alternatives. Your signature shows you have passed a couple of hard test with good grades.

If you let yourself quit now it will always eat at you ( I know it bothered me). Once you get this done you will feel much better.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
You're not the first person to struggle with Pre-calc. You should prolly just take the course. I tried studying for Financial Acct. and realized it was going to take a long time to get the info down to test out so I just took the class.
TESC BSBA: CIS graduate Sept. 2011