Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe throwing in the towel
Here is my suggestion for what it is worth. Sign up for ALEKS and work through that, even if you decide to test out of it at least can teach it to yourself and do the necessary review. If you can use ALEKS for the grade all the better. But I would move on and take some of your other tests while you work through ALEKS. I think you are putting too much pressure on yourself and giving the pre-calc too much control. If you work on the ALEKS while you also study for and take some other exams you will get your confidence back and be moving toward your goal at the same time. That way you are not standing still banging your head against the wall. You can do this, just try to get to your goal via a different route. Good Luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
ryoder Wrote:Yeah don't let that happen. 10 year old credits expiring? They don't expire at TESC and my credits at USF didn't expire at USF over 10 years later. They transferred the old credits back into the college as new course numbers in some cases. That 10 year credit expiring idea is outdated I think.

TESC will accept precalc from ALEKs and straighterline and those are great options.

Well the latest catalog does say that for core classes in the BSBA areas of study the credits do expire if they are more than 10 years old. By expire they mean you have to "demonstrate currency" which could mean a lot of things, but for some of those classes, I'd have to probably take them again to "demonstrate currency". So to me it just means they expire as in die like I never took them.

For the business classes it says taking the Business Policy capstone will demonstrate currency, and that's fine, but I have a lot of CIS credits that will expire fairly soon and those are the ones it would probably be highly unlikely I could demonstrate currency without re-taking them.

Do you work in IT? That might be enough to demonstrate currency.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:Do you work in IT? That might be enough to demonstrate
currency.

Other than a temporary programming job I did for the first few months of this year, no. Currently I'm unemployed.

Quote:Sign up for ALEKS and work through that, even if you decide to test out of it at least can teach it to yourself and do the necessary review. If you can use ALEKS for the grade all the better. But I would move on and take some of your other tests while you work through ALEKS. I think you are putting too much pressure on yourself and giving the pre-calc too much control.

I agree with those comments. My son took the Straighterline Precalculus after doing an ALEKS refresher. He never even used the book and got an A and finished the course in about 3 days. I still have the book which I will gladly send to you free of charge, just PM me. Two things about the Straighterline format. It follows the book, which will make it easier especially if you have someone there who can assist in explanations that you don't understand. Second, most Straighterline courses require a lot of effort to get an A, but a lot less effort to get a C or 70% pass. I'm not suggesting that it is easy, but it is doable and the format may work a little better for you.....and you can't quit. That's not allowed here.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
I know you are right Linda! I would just be thinking about it if I quit so I'm going to keep trying.

Lindagerr Wrote:DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!!

It took me 38 years and several colleges because I gave up to easy. When I finally found TESC and this forum I Did IT!!

TESC took my credits from as far back as 1972 (Long before most here were even a twinkle in the parents eye)

If you are having trouble with Math get help, it took me months and MANY hours to pass statistics, but I finally did it. Try a different method, you don't say how you are doing it, but there are plenty of alternatives. Your signature shows you have passed a couple of hard test with good grades.

If you let yourself quit now it will always eat at you ( I know it bothered me). Once you get this done you will feel much better.

Are you registared at TESC yet? If not do so that will freeze your credits in time. How much more do you have to get done? Do not let math kill you. Get a tutor. There are plenty of bright math tutor that can get you through Aleks. Aleks is probably your best choice right now. Make a plan and stick to it. You can get this done. You can do it.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
I knew that I wouldn't been able to test out Public Speaking so I decided to take the class while I prepared for other CLEPS. Maybe you should do the same, Math is not easy, especially if you're trying to learn it all by yourself. It could take you hours to nail down a topic that could easily be learned with some guidance or tutoring.
DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!! Math has always been my weak spot. I refreshed after forty years with a tutor and took straighterline and passed. Finished the straighterline math course (after a month tutoring) in one week. YOU CAN DO IT.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
I went through the same with College Algebra. It's been 20 years since HS algebra, and I don't really even recall much about sets and nothing about matrices. After beating my head in for four months I tossed and decided to just take the damn class. I'm signing up with UMUC this summer anyway, so it will be my first one. That frees me up to CLEP composition, astronomy, and analyzing & interpreting literature and maybe more!

Point being, maybe you can end-run it by actually taking this course and that will free you up mentally to focus on other "easy" knockdowns...
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.