Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maximize transfer credits or just jump in? (UMPI)
I can't say I experienced any of this when I took Spanish with UMPI. In one of her milestones responses she asked me if I had any previous experience with Spanish as I was using outside vocabulary that wasn't in the class, which I informed her I did. I do have some GCSE level Spanish and my father speaks Spanish but I am in no way fluent whatsoever. I had no problems with my draft, I only had to change the gender of two words, and I got a 100% in this class. I guess there are different experiences for everyone.
(07-01-2021, 11:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote: The Study.com equivalency guide has been updated.
https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html

The BABA Management & Leadership looks you can test out of all the Management & Leadership concentration except for one course. 

Keep in mind there is a certain amount of courses required to take at UMPI.  Though getting to 90 transfer credits is pretty easy now.

Yup I posted an entire thread about this last week. You need to be cautious trying to transfer in all of your UL courses. You cannot do that at UMPI. You MUST complete a specific number of UL in the major and outside of the major at UMPI.

(07-02-2021, 08:03 AM)canuckian Wrote: Thank you! I’ve decided to do 60 credits at UMPI and shoot for 3 terms. It gives me more options for post-grad, especially since they’re graded and not pass/fail.  

I’ll bookmark that link, though, in case things change!

60 credits in 3 terms? I will tell you right now that it is not possible for the vast majority of the population. Every course isn't offered every term and several classes have prereqs. A term is only 8 weeks long. Do you know what the Final Assessments are like? How are your writing and research skills? The classes aren't like Sophia. The average UMPI student completes 2-3 courses per term.
(07-02-2021, 01:23 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 11:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote: The Study.com equivalency guide has been updated.
https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html

The BABA Management & Leadership looks you can test out of all the Management & Leadership concentration except for one course. 

Keep in mind there is a certain amount of courses required to take at UMPI.  Though getting to 90 transfer credits is pretty easy now.

Yup I posted an entire thread about this last week. You need to be cautious trying to transfer in all of your UL courses. You cannot do that at UMPI. You MUST complete a specific number of UL in the major and outside of the major at UMPI.

(07-02-2021, 08:03 AM)canuckian Wrote: Thank you! I’ve decided to do 60 credits at UMPI and shoot for 3 terms. It gives me more options for post-grad, especially since they’re graded and not pass/fail.  

60 credits in 3 terms? I will tell you right now that it is not possible for the vast majority of the population. Every course isn't offered every term and several classes have prereqs. A term is only 8 weeks long. Do you know what the Final Assessments are like? How are your writing and research skills? The classes aren't like Sophia. The average UMPI student completes 2-3 courses per term.

It's a goal, but I'm not going to kill myself over it. 

I do have a couple things going for me, however: 

- I'm able to study full time.
- I’ve been in Publishing for the last seven years. I’m fairly confident about research, and uh, I’ve written a metric fuckton of words.
[-] The following 2 users Like canuckian's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(07-02-2021, 09:13 PM)canuckian Wrote:

- I’ve been in Publishing for the last seven years. I’m fairly confident about research, and uh, I’ve written a metric fuckton of words.

The problem is not going to be your ability to write in a lot of instances; a lot of what holds things up is the amount of time it takes for an instructor to grade your paper and get it back to you, and if there are problems, for you to fix them and resubmit, and that process takes time.  I think this is the issue at ALL competency-based schools though, it's not an issue at UMPI per se.  

20cr/term is 7 courses in 8 weeks; even 1 setback in a course is going to set your entire plan back.  I would think about bringing in more credits if you want to finish in 3 terms.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-09-2021, 06:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

The problem is not going to be your ability to write in a lot of instances; a lot of what holds things up is the amount of time it takes for an instructor to grade your paper and get it back to you, and if there are problems, for you to fix them and resubmit, and that process takes time.  I think this is the issue at ALL competency-based schools though, it's not an issue at UMPI per se.  

20cr/term is 7 courses in 8 weeks; even 1 setback in a course is going to set your entire plan back.  I would think about bringing in more credits if you want to finish in 3 terms.
[quote pid='341186' dateline='1625878700']
(07-09-2021, 06:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The problem is not going to be your ability to write in a lot of instances; a lot of what holds things up is the amount of time it takes for an instructor to grade your paper and get it back to you, and if there are problems, for you to fix them and resubmit, and that process takes time.  I think this is the issue at ALL competency-based schools though, it's not an issue at UMPI per se.  

[/quote]

As an alumni of the YourPace program, this is not a problem at all!!! You submit your rough draft and notify your advisor who then opens your next course. You are NOT held up waiting for papers to be graded. Additionally, some courses have an exam instead of a paper. There's NO waiting for them either. They're graded instantly. 

I've done 8 courses in a term. I also planned for the work and it wasn't my first term. One thing that maybe an issue is the prereqs and that every course isn't offered every term. That takes some planning.
(07-09-2021, 06:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Agreed. I just finished class #11, and at times, it has taken longer for my rough drafts to be reviewed and returned by the instructor than it has taken me to do the material for the entire class. It's unfortunate because you are completely at their mercy, and you cannot move on to complete the class until this process is completed. The rule is they should be reviewed within 72 hours; however, in my experience, that has been the minority. Several of my drafts have been in review status for over a week, which is precious time ticking away, and there is nothing you can do about it. I would send emails after the 72-hour mark but didn't seem to do much. Then once you get a response on the draft and fix anything suggested and resubmit, you have to wait for another 72 hour period (or more) for the final to be graded and get a notification that the competency is complete (provided it is not multiple choice). That has been my biggest frustration. I also wonder if it's because it's the summer session and not the regular school session if the instructors are on summer break and not checking things as much?? Otherwise, the platform has been pretty decent—best of luck to you in knocking out as many as you can per term. I'm on a time crunch, and I completely understand the need to try and get as many classes per session.  Shy
[-] The following 1 user Likes jo629's post:
  • cpoteraske
So 1 person said that you aren't held up at all by instructors' grading, another person said that you are. I wonder what the issue is??
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-09-2021, 08:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So 1 person said that you aren't held up at all by instructors' grading, another person said that you are.  I wonder what the issue is??

My experience is that I’ve been held up. Maybe it’s the major? I’m an accounting major and those core classes have been my problem classes as far as being held up.
(07-09-2021, 08:09 PM)jo629 Wrote: Agreed. I just finished class #11, and at times, it has taken longer for my rough drafts to be reviewed and returned by the instructor than it has taken me to do the material for the entire class. It's unfortunate because you are completely at their mercy, and you cannot move on to complete the class until this process is completed. The rule is they should be reviewed within 72 hours; however, in my experience, that has been the minority. Several of my drafts have been in review status for over a week, which is precious time ticking away, and there is nothing you can do about it. I would send emails after the 72-hour mark but didn't seem to do much. Then once you get a response on the draft and fix anything suggested and resubmit, you have to wait for another 72 hour period (or more) for the final to be graded and get a notification that the competency is complete (provided it is not multiple choice). That has been my biggest frustration. I also wonder if it's because it's the summer session and not the regular school session if the instructors are on summer break and not checking things as much?? Otherwise, the platform has been pretty decent—best of luck to you in knocking out as many as you can per term. I'm on a time crunch, and I completely understand the need to try and get as many classes per session.  Shy

That was NOT my experience at all! When I submitted a rough draft I contacted my advisor and said I needed a class opened. I always had 2 open until the last 10 days. The classes with an exam I would tell my advisor I was taking the exam that day and to open my next class. I didn't wait at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BABA Marketing from UMPI Raza Shah 0 58 Yesterday, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Raza Shah
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 532 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  HELP!!!!!! Old Transfer Credits Kimbap 3 177 09-11-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BA Project Management Billyjoe2308 5 294 09-02-2024, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Billyjoe2308
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 13 1,229 08-31-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Dr Tree Man
  Trying for Excelsior criminal justice with transfer credits and using Sophia mikefrank113 0 185 08-30-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: mikefrank113
  UoPeople to Walden Transfer Equivalencies Antegwyn1689 6 400 08-28-2024, 11:43 AM
  UMPI BABA PM&IS Degree Plan,Urgent Help Needed! edward.ri 1 282 08-28-2024, 11:27 AM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 18 1,344 08-26-2024, 09:00 AM
Thumbs Up UMPI PM & IS Degree. Complete Newbie TooNee 10 894 08-25-2024, 12:17 AM