Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math: A Guide to Testing out and Learning Efficiently
It seems a lot of people on here often have issues with Math, understandably. I figured I'd gather my knowledge on the topic and sort of consolidate all that info here.

There are many ways to "test out" of math. The best ways are as follows:

ALEKS (Beginner Algebra (sometimes gets credit), Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry or Precalculus (pick one, I recommend both though), and Statistics)
CLEP (College Math, College Algebra, Precalculus, Calculus I)
DSST (College Algebra, Statistics)
Straighterline (College Algebra, Precalculus, Calculus I, Calculus II, Statistics)
UExcel (Calculus*4 credits, Statistics)

Obviously, the courses with the same titles overlap as credit. Check with your school to see if any others do.

Many people have mentioned ALEKS as an excellent tool for learning math. That's very true, and I think you should use it. It's only $20/month. However, I think it's a little slow. The structure of learning on ALEKS requires a HUGE amount of time on some repetitive tasks. What I recommend is as follows:

Go to Khan Academy.org. Create an account. It's quite fun, they have profiles and avatars and points and all that. Anyways, the key thing is to watch the relevant videos for your needs. You can do problems on their site, or you can also do them on ALEKS (ALEKS I'd say is better for this). The topics are as follows:

Arithmetic and Pre-Algebra
Algebra
Geometry
Trigonometry
Probability
Statistics
Precalculus
Calculus
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra

Whatever testing method you do, this is the order of difficulty, and since math is cumulative, it's the order you SHOULD take them in.

Beginner Algebra -> Pre-Algebra and Algebra (usually no credit given)
College Math -> Pre-Algebra and Algebra (Different from College Algebra!)
Intermediate Algebra -> Algebra
College Algebra -> mostly Algebra, very little Geometry
Trigonometry -> Trigonometry (overlaps with Precalculus, despite being very different)
Precalculus -> Precalculus (overlaps with Trigonometry)
Statistics -> Probability, Statistics (quite independent of other math topics)
Calculus I -> Calculus (up to when they mention antiderivatives, aka integrals)
Calculus II -> Calculus (from Integrals up to the many AP test examples he gives)

For those who wanna go further, there are options at Ohio U Credit by Examination (If you do, wait a few months until they switch over to a semester system):

Elementary Linear Algebra -> Linear Algebra
Calculus III -> (from the end of the AP questions to the end)
Differential Equations -> Differential Equations

Those are all the math exams I know of. Not enough for a major but it'll reduce a lot of the coursework and costs. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

So, to summarize:

1) Choose the exams to do, in order
2) Study the theory on Khan Academy by watching the relevant videos
3) Practice!! (either on Khan Academy or ALEKS (not available for Calculus onwards))
4) Take the exam and ace it, wondering why math was ever difficult in the first place!

I keep rambling but I have one final thing to say. If you choose an exam somewhere in the middle, and you're not TOTALLY confident about your knowledge of the previous topics (even if you've done them before), go back and do them again! This small investment in time will pay you back in dividends later on!
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Great post!

Uexcel has exams for Calculus I and Statistics. These would be graded for EC students. UExcel - Exams

If interested in a math major, about half of the credits can be completed through proficiency exams.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Ah yes, I forgot about UExcel. I just updated the original post. If anyone has some suggestions or additions, I'll add them to the first post. Hopefully people can wade their way easily through math exams.

Also, if people are pursuing a Math Major I posted a degree plan on dcan's site a while back
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Great post! I was going to ask about College Math vs College algebra, but you answered my question. I will look at some of those sites while studying for my math CLEP in the very near future. Awesome!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Distance Learning Systems Indiana nomaduser 0 74 Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 173,711 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,624 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  IBM Machine Learning Professional Certificate Nukeme3 4 542 07-08-2024, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Nukeme3
  Reasonably priced upper-division RA math courses Ivo Lah 5 608 06-18-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Prior Learning Art Portfolio Assessment 3ichael7ambert 18 986 05-31-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: davewill
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 4 771 05-11-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 452 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 654 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,335 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann