Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Listing TESU LDAS on Resume?
It's no secret to everyone on this forum that my real aim to study electrical engineering. However I think I found a loophole in any case most jobs say "masters preferred" therefore I was looking at the prerequisites and realized that most masters in EE online have certain requirements for entry into the program calc I, calc I, calc III, DC circuits etc. Then it dawned on me if I did all the pre-requisite courses with everything required for entry into a masters in EE, I may be able to skip the 4-6 year grind and probably do a masters in EE instead in that time. So I applied to TESU for a learner designed area of study in "Robotic Systems Development", though I know the transcript would say "Learner Designed Area of Study".

I was wondering how to you list such a program on your resume and CV? Can I put:

"BS, LDAS, Robotic Systems Development"

or can I just put:

"BS, Robotic Systems Development"?

Which is more appropriate? or what do you recommend? thank you guys.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

I think it's not legitimate to put the area without LDAS.

I would put "BS in Learner Designed Area of Study: Robotic Systems Development".

I definitely think you should do what's necessary to get into the EE Masters.

(03-09-2018, 03:55 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: It's no secret to everyone on this forum that my real aim to study electrical engineering. However I think I found a loophole in any case most jobs say "masters preferred" therefore I was looking at the prerequisites and realized that most masters in EE online have certain requirements for entry into the program calc I, calc I, calc III, DC circuits etc. Then it dawned on me if I did all the pre-requisite courses with everything required for entry into a masters in EE, I may be able to skip the 4-6 year grind and probably do a masters in EE instead in that time. So I applied to TESU for a learner designed area of study in "Robotic Systems Development", though I know the transcript would say "Learner Designed Area of Study".

I was wondering how to you list such a program on your resume and CV? Can I put:

"BS, LDAS, Robotic Systems Development"

or can I just put:

"BS, Robotic Systems Development"?

Which is more appropriate? or what do you recommend? thank you guys.

If you get approval to do it, I wouldn't hesitate to list it like your second choice. I'd leave off the LDAS because it's confusing. I think the distinction is that it is "a" learner designed area of study as opposed to a degree "in" learner designed area of study. (important to note because there ARE examples, like at Harvard University, that have degrees via their continuing education college that are specifically "in" extension studies, which would be more similar to your first sample)
If asked in an interview something like "I didn't know TESU had bachelor's degrees in Robotic Systems Development" you can explain you had an opportunity to design your area of study - easy peasy.
@ cookderosa Oh it was approved by Mrs. Cynthia today, I just have to wait for the adviser to add it to my evaluation..Hmm I was thinking the same thing! I think I'll do that then.

@ideas yeah, I was thinking that but I mean I dont want to sell it short..
and yeah I'm doing anything, it would just take an extra year to do the courses and most can be done at AMU, two at TESU, and one is to be done at SNHU...all the others are SL and saylor...
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Congrats on the approval!

That's great that you can do it through AMU, TESU, SNHU, and ACE.

Also I see that TESU does 30 credits in the LDAS. In that case, I guess I would list it like your second option. There are other schools where you do less in the AOS, apparently, and then I don't think it's ok to list it as if the degree was in that area.

(03-09-2018, 04:17 PM)cookderosa Wrote: If you get approval to do it, I wouldn't hesitate to list it like your second choice.  I'd leave off the LDAS because it's confusing. I think the distinction is that it is "a" learner designed area of study as opposed to a degree "in" learner designed area of study.  (important to note because there ARE examples, like at Harvard University, that have degrees via their continuing education college that are specifically "in" extension studies, which would be more similar to your first sample)
If asked in an interview something like "I didn't know TESU had bachelor's degrees in Robotic Systems Development" you can explain you had an opportunity to design your area of study - easy peasy.

I think I agree. I did note that on the degree info page it says, "The area of study listed on official transcripts for LDAS recipients is "Learner Designed Area of Study", and not the student’s proposed area of study." so if they ask for a transcript, it would be good be up front about that. Also, I would seek advice from the admissions office for a Master's program you apply to in order to list it correctly for their purposes. Academia is more sensitive to details like these.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Ideas
@ideas, yes! it's a lot of courses...but the good thing is they are courses I actually want to do, I mean I could do without the Calc III and Differential Eq, but they seem mandatory in every program I've looked at for EE masters.

@davewill thanks for the tip! Hmmm, I hope it isn't a problem though, specifically I was looking at MS EE at Cloumbia University and Penn State University as first choices. Penn State in particular says it will consider students with a non-EE background as long as they meet the requirements. I'm going to try real hard to get into those programs...

Generally I realized that even though I want a PhD, getting a masters that would get me a job I want takes priority. I guess if I get the masters I want and a job, I would be able to do a PhD in something I really love.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(03-09-2018, 04:53 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: ...
@davewill thanks for the tip! Hmmm, I hope it isn't a problem though, specifically I was looking at MS EE at Cloumbia University and Penn State University as first choices. Penn State in particular says it will consider students with a non-EE background as long as they meet the requirements. I'm going to try real hard to get into those programs...

Be diligent about documenting those requirements on a transcript. Experience is always helpful, too.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Good thinking, trying for those programs. I think the area of study is an excellent way to help you get in. I would suggest getting A's in everything if possible.

But, oh no! You're getting me interested in another Masters degree. Because I just realized TESU offers an Learner Designed option at the Masters level! I can't believe I didn't think of looking for that before.

Edit: But it's an MA in Liberal Studies with 12 credits in the AOS... not as good especially because it would be hard to find the other Liberal Studies credits required... still, maybe there's a school where I could design my own.

@ideas haha yes, only a few days ago I also noticed that
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,470 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 4,032 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,763 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 4,079 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 3,136 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,617 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,876 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,587 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,784 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 3,168 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore