Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letter Grades?
I was wondering about how CLEP scores translate into letter scores. In the REA books I study out of, there is a chart that shows a list of scores and corresponding letter grades. However, the REA books are not consistent with eachother, and each book says something else. Does anyone know how high you have to score on a CLEP to get an A?
Do some schools give grades for these? My school (Excelsior College) currently gives only passing credit based on a scaled score of 50. I guess you'll need to check your school's policy.

Excelsior does give grades for some DANTES exams.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I have taken courses at six different colleges and universities, and not one of those institutions awards letter grades for CLEP exams. With each of those schools, the grades are award as Pass/Fail only. I don't even recall having heard of any schools that award letter grades for CLEP exams. However, with some tests, a higher score resulted in a higher credit amount. This is especially common with the CLEP language exams for French, Spanish, and German. It's also common for some of the AP exams, where a score of a "3" may rake in three semester hours but scoring a "5" or maybe even a "4" may result in double the credit hours.

However, it all depends on the particular institution; they each set their own policies on these things. For a college or university's official policy, just download the school's undergraduate catalog off their website, or ask the school to mail you a hard copy. That being said, most schools' official policies can be waived, if not by the academic advisor then certainly by the dean. If you choose to try this route, I'd recommend being nice to the administration, but getting your answers in writing so you have documentation should questions arise later.
blueberry Wrote:I was wondering about how CLEP scores translate into letter scores. In the REA books I study out of, there is a chart that shows a list of scores and corresponding letter grades. However, the REA books are not consistent with eachother, and each book says something else. Does anyone know how high you have to score on a CLEP to get an A?
>>

Nope. Pass/fail. Usually, >50 is a pass and less is a fail.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Want better grades? Move towards the beginning of the alphabet. davewill 7 580 04-18-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 822 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Grades matter more Alpha 5 832 04-24-2022, 02:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do grades from transfer credits matter? StoicJ 1 1,351 10-12-2020, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Options for "Fast/Cheap" Credits that Give a Letter Grade at the Big Three? retro 5 1,807 11-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Letter of recommendation from TA? pws 4 1,196 05-28-2019, 11:59 AM
Last Post: pws
  Transcripts and grades study.com kier7141 3 1,289 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Grades - How much do you worry about them? Jenniferinfl 12 2,443 03-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does CLEP make any exceptions for retesting? (One letter off "A≠I") Igerald1 0 799 05-19-2017, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Igerald1
  I have a present for you.....a college that awards letter grades for CLEP! cookderosa 9 3,321 05-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Last Post: cookderosa