Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it that he's dead . . . ?
Is it that he's dead or that they didn't tell the students?  Students at university just found out that the Professor that has been teaching the course had actually died over a year earlier.  Does it matter?
https://twitter.com/AaronLinguini/status...1501289472
It's one thing if he were listed as "a" professor and not "the" professor.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The professor of the ASU EA computer apps course died in 2020. They're still using his lecture videos and materials. This is mentioned on the course team page, where they introduce the professor that has taken over administration.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
We read books from authors who passed away centuries ago. With a shift to online learning, people could have died 10 years ago and the course content still be used including the videos. Not a big deal. Now, if the dead professor emails or texts you, then you've got a problem.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Holmes
(01-28-2021, 02:13 PM)Alpha Wrote: Is it that he's dead or that they didn't tell the students?  Students at university just found out that the Professor that has been teaching the course had actually died over a year earlier.  Does it matter?
https://twitter.com/AaronLinguini/status...1501289472

I guess if we listen to music by someone who died, or read a book by someone who died, or watch a movie starring someone who died, that's TOTALLY different?  Um....no, it's not.  If the recorded material is still relevant, who cares!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I think it's relevant if students were taking the class thinking that their coursework was being graded by and supervised by the dead professor. I see no problems with the ASU EA class because they were honest and upfront about it. If the other university lies to its students by omission, that crosses the line into fraud.

Think about all the students here who put effort into making sure that they choose the "right" teacher for their TESU capstone because some teachers have a reputation for grading more or less fairly than others.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • MNomadic
In my mind, not informing the students is a lie of omission.  Then I assume that the lie is intended to hide something.  Maybe that makes me a suspicious person but it's something that comes from being burned.  As other's said, the fact that the course is now canned content is not an issue for me.  We consume that kind of content all the time from multiple sources.  To me it's the quality of the content that matters most.  In some ways it seems like a testament to the now-deceased Professor that they want to continue to use his lectures.  At the same time it seems disrespectful that they can't even mention his passing.  I wonder if his surviving beneficiaries receive  any compensation.  Like royalties paid for re-runs on TV?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • rachel83az
(01-31-2021, 12:10 PM)Alpha Wrote: In my mind, not informing the students is a lie of omission.  Then I assume that the lie is intended to hide something.  Maybe that makes me a suspicious person but it's something that comes from being burned.  As other's said, the fact that the course is now canned content is not an issue for me.  We consume that kind of content all the time from multiple sources.  To me it's the quality of the content that matters most.  In some ways it seems like a testament to the now-deceased Professor that they want to continue to use his lectures.  At the same time it seems disrespectful that they can't even mention his passing.  I wonder if his surviving beneficiaries receive  any compensation.  Like royalties paid for re-runs on TV?

Yes, they should change the wording to make it clear that the content is from a now-deceased prof.

OTOH, he wouldn't be getting royalties for his course (canned or not) in the normal course, because his employer is paying him for his time.  He's giving them what they paid for.  If he had decided to create a course on his own, and his employer agreed to it, he could go out and sell it on his own.  But a course he makes while employed by a school would belong to them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weekend at Bernie’s in Real Life: Woman Wheels in Dead Man to Sign off on Loan LevelUP 0 54 Yesterday, 03:04 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Dead Teslas LevelUP 4 367 01-17-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Russian Spies stole identities of dead infants, possibly more bjcheung77 0 368 07-28-2022, 07:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Place your bets: Degree Info.'s return from the dead. eriehiker 12 3,320 01-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Ding Dong, Osama is Dead Maniac Craniac 15 3,773 05-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Last Post: FinancialWorld
  Heath Ledger found dead in NYC BMWGuinness 3 1,956 01-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Last Post: killerkitty