Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to 'hide' a degree?
looking to follow a TESU plan at some point soon. My only concern is that I'm only 23 and don't really know what I want do with my life. Make great money already, no degree... but sometimes consider a career change. Who knows, maybe I'd like to give a normal 4 year university + med school a shot one day, but I don't want to be judged for getting a degree through any of the big 3. It still seems like there's a stigma associated with online degrees of any sort, which is why I really like ASU or Penn St online, but I don't really need a degree that bad to dedicate my life to those. Just want to keep my options open in the future and don't want this to kill any.

Thanks everyone and thanks for this wonderful forum!
Jnx Wrote:looking to follow a TESU plan at some point soon. My only concern is that I'm only 23 and don't really know what I want do with my life. Make great money already, no degree... but sometimes consider a career change. Who knows, maybe I'd like to give a normal 4 year university + med school a shot one day, but I don't want to be judged for getting a degree through any of the big 3. It still seems like there's a stigma associated with online degrees of any sort, which is why I really like ASU or Penn St online, but I don't really need a degree that bad to dedicate my life to those. Just want to keep my options open in the future and don't want this to kill any.

If you get a degree from any of the big three just like every other university it doesn't have some Scarlet Letter type thing on your transcript that say earned online. I could send you my CC transcript and you couldn't tell if my courses where online or in class.

Now if you mean only online schools then I still don't get your point. A degree for TESU is a degree. You will be eligible for grad school, law school, med school... TESU, COSC, and Excelsior are all Regionally Accredited. As for Excelsior it is regarded very highly here in New York.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Re: online degrees.... TESU is a brick and mortar state university that happens to offer online degrees. Same with most colleges these days. It might not be as well known as a Penn State or Ohio State or others. Then again, most state schools aren't well known unless they have a big football team attached to their name or some kind of prestige attached to a particular field of study (like engineering, medical etc). I could get a fully-online degree from several state schools in my state (Ohio) and I bet, aside from Ohio State, you wouldn't have any idea who the other colleges are unless you lived here. Doesn't make their degrees any less or any more than they are. And it doesn't matter if I drive the hour to sit in their classroom or take the courses online. Its the same degree - same transcript. No where will it indicate that its an online degree.

Re: not being sure of your degree. You are 23. If you change your mind and decide to get a second degree later in another field it doesn't hurt. But, if you really are considering med school you need to be committing to that sooner rather than later. Its not (usually) something one wakes up one day when they are 30 and decides to do on a whim. It takes year and years of schooling, exams and its competitive to get into medical school so you might lose a year or two just applying. Your undergrad should be geared to making you the best candidate possible. I don't think you could afford to spend a couple of years at TESU getting a BSBA or BALS and then just jump to another 4 year program somewhere else and then hope to get into med school. You would probably waste 6-8 years right there.

Honestly, you are going to have to want it (whatever that is) to make it work. Whether you go with one of the big 3 and get a degree fully online its going to take a lot of hours and commitment. It isn't going to be easy. If its going to a school with the end goal being medical school, its going to be a lot of hours too. While you decide, why don't you start getting your gen eds and as much math and science done as you can. If you switch over to something like biology or pre-med you won't be able to fully test out of it but at least you'll be part way toward your potential end goal.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
To answer your question, no you can't hide your degree. When you apply to grad school or med school, they will require all of your existing transcripts including from TESU. It will show your degree. Also be aware that some public universities may not allow you to pursue a second bachelor's degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Synicaal Wrote:If you get a degree from any of the big three just like every other university it doesn't have some Scarlet Letter type thing on your transcript that say earned online. I could send you my CC transcript and you couldn't tell if my courses where online or in class.

Now if you mean only online schools then I still don't get your point. A degree for TESU is a degree. You will be eligible for grad school, law school, med school... TESU, COSC, and Excelsior are all Regionally Accredited. As for Excelsior it is regarded very highly here in New York.

davewill Wrote:To answer your question, no you can't hide your degree. When you apply to grad school or med school, they will require all of your existing transcripts including from TESU. It will show your degree. Also be aware that some public universities may not allow you to pursue a second bachelor's degree.

+1 on these two posts. Furthermore, I think it's better to have more than one degree. For me, I like to "flaunt"... haha
Why bother hiding it when you can show your talents in having a second or subsequent degree of your choice.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Jnx Wrote:looking to follow a TESU plan at some point soon. My only concern is that I'm only 23 and don't really know what I want do with my life. Make great money already, no degree... but sometimes consider a career change. Who knows, maybe I'd like to give a normal 4 year university + med school a shot one day, but I don't want to be judged for getting a degree through any of the big 3. It still seems like there's a stigma associated with online degrees of any sort, which is why I really like ASU or Penn St online, but I don't really need a degree that bad to dedicate my life to those. Just want to keep my options open in the future and don't want this to kill any.

You should definitely make sure that people won't judge you- super important if you're under 30. After that, you'll do what you need to to get the job done.
Taking things in order I would spend time figuring out what your top 3-5 future aspirations are (can be more but 3-5 is a nice start). Flush out what path is needed for each of them, e.g. Time, Money, Education. Review them each on paper and it should start to create some focus. Your own focus creates energy and you will be able to use that to make some future goals happen.

If medical school end up in the top 3-5, I would still rock with the Big 3 and have theses areas be your focus:

Course study in Degree
GPA
MCAT Score
Clinical Hours

I have had the please of working in the medical field for close to 20 years and can confirm it's the talent that matters at the end of the day. If you can handle the four targets above and crush the interviews, expect to have some great options.

Loved your line of 'Make Great Money Already'. Reminder being 23 with no kids making really good money feeling the same. I make considerably more money now but live in Orange County, married with five kids and I feel there's a thief every day messing with my accounts Wink
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
TESU has never been considered a Brick & Mortar School? It is a State school and so is COSC.:iagree:

All three are considered online by todays standards. Years ago they were NOT online colleges. They started as non-traditional adult assessment colleges. NO capstone courses even.cheersmate

rlw74 Wrote:Re: online degrees.... TESU is a brick and mortar state university that happens to offer online degrees. Same with most colleges these days. It might not be as well known as a Penn State or Ohio State or others. Then again, most state schools aren't well known unless they have a big football team attached to their name or some kind of prestige attached to a particular field of study (like engineering, medical etc). I could get a fully-online degree from several state schools in my state (Ohio) and I bet, aside from Ohio State, you wouldn't have any idea who the other colleges are unless you lived here. Doesn't make their degrees any less or any more than they are. And it doesn't matter if I drive the hour to sit in their classroom or take the courses online. Its the same degree - same transcript. No where will it indicate that its an online degree.

Re: not being sure of your degree. You are 23. If you change your mind and decide to get a second degree later in another field it doesn't hurt. But, if you really are considering med school you need to be committing to that sooner rather than later. Its not (usually) something one wakes up one day when they are 30 and decides to do on a whim. It takes year and years of schooling, exams and its competitive to get into medical school so you might lose a year or two just applying. Your undergrad should be geared to making you the best candidate possible. I don't think you could afford to spend a couple of years at TESU getting a BSBA or BALS and then just jump to another 4 year program somewhere else and then hope to get into med school. You would probably waste 6-8 years right there.

Honestly, you are going to have to want it (whatever that is) to make it work. Whether you go with one of the big 3 and get a degree fully online its going to take a lot of hours and commitment. It isn't going to be easy. If its going to a school with the end goal being medical school, its going to be a lot of hours too. While you decide, why don't you start getting your gen eds and as much math and science done as you can. If you switch over to something like biology or pre-med you won't be able to fully test out of it but at least you'll be part way toward your potential end goal.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

TESU is mostly an online school. The only brick and mortar program they have is in nursing.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
It might be true that a segment of the population is critical of distance learning, the truth is that over 90% of all public colleges and universities offer distance learning classes and or degrees. So, simply choose a school that doesn't have a high profile and move forward.

Since I'm 46, I'm old enough to tell you that technology doesn't stop- and progress doesn't reverse. So, even if you are in a minority as a distance learner TODAY, that won't be the case in the next decade. The decade graduating high school now has been raised on tech products. Remember when colleges didn't have a website? I do. Remember when financial aid paperwork was actually on paper? I do.I could go on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 407 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,475 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 350 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,719 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,291 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,375 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,587 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 754 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,908 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 882 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy