Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is anyone familiar with bain4weeks.com-share your stories!
Okay,

So, I just discovered: Overview of process - BA in 4 weeks degree guides

In the process of reading the site.

Is it saying that one can get their BA or BS in 4 weeks?

Just trying to begin a discussion about this site.

Thanks!
That site was how I was introduced to the concept of testing out of a degree.

The idea she presents is that one can theoretically test out from start to finish in 4 weeks IF you are already capable of passing every one. The 4 week timeframe includes the actual testing only: she does not account for processing time on the college's end, or studying time for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the way she makes it all sound so easy could very well lead a person into a false sense of confidence regarding the tests and end up failing some of the harder exams.

All that said, it is a good website, and my degree plan is loosely based on her framework. I will warn though that some information is out of date. For example, it is no longer possible to test out of a Business Degree from Excelsior; you need to take at least the capstone course.
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
[-] The following 1 user Likes JanusthePhoenix's post:
  • ms_butterfly
JanusthePhoenix Wrote:That site was how I was introduced to the concept of testing out of a degree.

The idea she presents is that one can theoretically test out from start to finish in 4 weeks IF you are already capable of passing every one. The 4 week timeframe includes the actual testing only: she does not account for processing time on the college's end, or studying time for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the way she makes it all sound so easy could very well lead a person into a false sense of confidence regarding the tests and end up failing some of the harder exams.

All that said, it is a good website, and my degree plan is loosely based on her framework. I will warn though that some information is out of date. For example, it is no longer possible to test out of a Business Degree from Excelsior; you need to take at least the capstone course.

I believe Lawrie Miller is a Guy not a Gal! He authored a great guide post for people who wish to make a dream a reality. Smile
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
journey21 Wrote:Okay,

So, I just discovered: Overview of process - BA in 4 weeks degree guides

In the process of reading the site.

Is it saying that one can get their BA or BS in 4 weeks?

Just trying to begin a discussion about this site.

Thanks!
Based on my manic learning binge where I went from 86 credits to 120 in six weeks or so, I would say forget about it. I looked at that site a while back, and there were a few good ideas there, but you would have to be a super genius to meet that schedule. And, why would you want to do this? The title gets it lots of attention.

This forum is the real deal. There are people here that are working at max speed, and others who are taking it slower. I would advise you to take as long as you need to finish your degree unless you have a compelling reason to finish quickly. Find that magic point where you are not stressed out, retaining the info in long term memory, and moving forward at a good rate .

While you can do crazy things like take three tests in a week, you will live a much better quality of life, and learn more, if you slow it down a bit. The key is knowing when you are ready to test, and then going for it.

I am down to one test every two weeks and loving it. That is a rate of 75 credits per year, and very doable for me. If I slowed down a bit to one test every three weeks that would be around 50 credits per year, which is not to shabby either.

We should all be thankful that you can't get a BS online in 4 weeks, because that would make our degrees worthless.

I do remember a lot of silly stuff on that site like, "You will be taking three upper level exams today, so do be sure to relax between tests", or something to that effect. I don't know about others, but I am drained enough after one test that I just want to go home.

That web site actually has a pretty good plan, but the pace is unrealistic. I do remember being inspired by it also, but after a few tests I knew that I could never work that quickly.

Best of luck!
EC - BSLS Finally done!
Went from 86 to 120 credits in six weeks thanks to IC and the forum.
Currently doing MBA pre-reqs.
Now BSLS + 9 credits
malcs Wrote:Based on my manic learning binge where I went from 86 credits to 120 in six weeks or so, I would say forget about it.

How did you do that? Tell me how PLEASE! : )

Awesome post. I love it!
The first thing I ever found out about credit by exam was through a book by Brad Voeller called Accelerated Distance Learning. I dove in and read that book from cover to cover in about 2 days and then hit the web. Of course, I found Lawrie's site right away. I have a personality that lets me see what is possible- then I make it my own- so for me, that site was huge motivation. Mathematically, I knew it was possible. Lawrie is a real person, so again, another huge motivation. That said, we are all individuals with our own lives and demands of such. So, I took his ideas and made them my own by building on them.
A few things I did differently, I started with the end in mind. I started with a grad school plan and worked backward. In the beginning, I planned to attend the University of Adelaide's Masters in Gastronomy (a now defunct program) and wanted to be sure I could get in. So, I wanted a lot of social science learning (note I didn't say credit). I also wanted to use classes for my major- based on my digging into grad school requirements at other schools and to qualify for financial aid.
Since I have home-schooled my kids for 14 years, I was already an "outside the building" learner and firm believer in the notion that learning doesn't happen when someone teaches at you in a classroom. As a college teacher for 17 years, I needed my degree to work within the system and not totally be different- and for me, that meant taking classes too. Budget was a factor, and time was a factor. Then, and now, my kid's school comes first- so anything I wanted to do couldn't be between 9-3 (my homeschool hours) or the 2 nights per week when I teach.
Knowing how Lawrie did it made me look like a slacker LOL, but I totally feel like I used his ideas to build on. My degree from 0-120 took 18 months. 6 on my own, then 12 at TESC.
journey21 Wrote:How did you do that? Tell me how PLEASE! : )

Awesome post. I love it!

I enrolled at EC and did two ECE/DANTES tests per week, one week I did three. I burried my head in IC, textbooks, and the exam specific fourms for six weeks. I worked full time at it, but hardly on weekends. I picked courses that had some overlap. Notice all of the Psych courses, along with Gerentology. Even World Pop was related to Gerentolgy in a few areas. Marketting had various items from social psyc, and Research Methods in Psyc.
The most central courses here are Research Methods in Psych, and Statistics. Take those first because you will see them in every one of these exams.

ECE TESTS
---------------
INFORMATION LITERACY - P
March - PSYCHOLOGY OF ADULTHOOD & AGING - A
March - FOUNDATIONS OF GERONTOLOGY - B
March - RESEARCH METHODS IN PSYCHOLOGY - B
March - CULTURAL DIVERSITY - C (took 3 tests this week and it shows)
April - ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGY - B
April - SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY -A
April - WORLD POPULATION -A

DANTES
---------
March - DRUG AND ALCOHOL ABUSE(450)
March - MANAGEMENT OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS (456)
March - HERE'S TO YOUR HEALTH (445)
April - ENVIRONMENT AND HUMANITY:THE RACE TO SAVE THE PLANET (67)

At that point I was done with BSLS

In May I slowed it down just studying at breakfast, and did the following mostly using REA books:
CLEP - Marketting - 73=A
CLEP - Bus Law 1 - 70=A

Later this week I will CLEP Macro Econ, again using REA.
Two weeks after that I will take the Finance DSST.
Then I have to take the GMAT (Yuk!)

I had a fire to get my degree finished because lack of such was killing me getting a job despite my 30 years of experience in the IT field.
EC - BSLS Finally done!
Now BSLS + 9 credits
cookderosa Wrote:...

Knowing how Lawrie did it made me look like a slacker LOL, but I totally feel like I used his ideas to build on. My degree from 0-120 took 18 months. 6 on my own, then 12 at TESC.

That is a respectable, and probably sustainable rate of a little better than two courses per month for 18 months. It may seem slow to a few people, but 99% of the world would want to know how you did it.

That is also about the same rate that I am finding myself comfortable with since I am doing this part time now.
EC - BSLS Finally done!
Now BSLS + 9 credits
malcs Wrote:That is a respectable, and probably sustainable rate of a little better than two courses per month for 18 months. It may seem slow to a few people, but 99% of the world would want to know how you did it.

That is also about the same rate that I am finding myself comfortable with since I am doing this part time now.
>>

Exactly. The average bachelor finisher (and less than 50% of starters ever finish) will take longer than 5 years.
His timeline is extremely aggresive, but one of our own members completed his degree in 12 weeks through EC. If I remember right he lost his job and wanted a degree so just put life on hold and got it done.
Finished in December, 2008 with my BSBA from TESC

Current events dialogue @SamRust on Twitter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Education Department to review guidance allowing revenue-share agreements with OPMs LevelUP 0 354 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  College Stories: Florida Students Share Their (Sometimes) Rocky Roads to Graduation LevelUP 0 444 04-23-2022, 10:48 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is there a way to share a “profile” of badges earned on Badgr? Vle045 6 1,674 04-09-2022, 03:04 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  BAin4weeks 2022? arcangel27 51 4,703 02-24-2022, 05:05 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Success Stories With Your Degrees Dlynn1219 2 933 01-02-2022, 01:39 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 887 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can anyone share their experience with Tel Learning courses? ctcarl 31 6,634 03-04-2021, 11:30 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Any "Start From Scratch" members willing to share their journey? Idreamofadegree 23 4,842 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Study Methods/Techniques: What methods do you use ? I'll share a new one for me. fsmaine0020 4 962 03-19-2016, 11:12 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Share Student Loan Stories corpsole2 6 755 09-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Exfactor