Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a health sciences degree a waste? (Trying to decide on a school)
Let me break down my situation. 101 credits taken towards a degree in biology at my previous school. Now some classes are less than a C so they won't transfer over. Now i have a few career goals in mind. 1)Get master's degree in nutrition and go from there. 2)get a job in Health IT. I can easily get my health IT certificate. 3) and it's a long shot but go to PA school. Now i've been accepted to 2 colleges reasonably priced. First one is UMUC they accepted 65 of my credits and it would be towards a degree in Health Services management. Here's the problem. the reviews weren't good about this school. 3% graduation rate and i have no interest in managing hospitals or anything. Next school is Wilmington University. Good school. I know people who went there and can co sign this school. It's also less expensive but they only accepted 57 credits. This would be a Health Sciences degree. I know to work in nutrition i still have to take the requirements. aka organic chemistry, anatomy and physiology, etc. Maybe i can do it at a community college for a lesser cost.
Taking organic chemistry and other courses at a community college makes sense to minimize costs. The other consideration is that o chem tends to be a weed out course at a university. It should be easier at a community college, although that varies by teacher.

There are limitations on the number of hours that can be transferred in. You really need to find out the specific details of the transfer policies of the schools you are interested in attending.

Are you sure about a 3% graduation rate at UMUC? Even if the 3% rate applies only to the health services management degree, 3% sounds way too low for a public university.

Wilmington is private, so if it is less expensive than public UMUC, you must be out of state for UMUC. What public universities are in your state? If you are going to get a master's degree, get your bachelor's degree at the lowest possible cost.

A degree isn't a waste if it gets you into graduate school, it's a necessity.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:Taking organic chemistry and other courses at a community college makes sense to minimize costs. The other consideration is that o chem tends to be a weed out course at a university. It should be easier at a community college, although that varies by teacher.

There are limitations on the number of hours that can be transferred in. You really need to find out the specific details of the transfer policies of the schools you are interested in attending.

Are you sure about a 3% graduation rate at UMUC? Even if the 3% rate applies only to the health services management degree, 3% sounds way too low for a public university.

Wilmington is private, so if it is less expensive than public UMUC, you must be out of state for UMUC. What public universities are in your state? If you are going to get a master's degree, get your bachelor's degree at the lowest possible cost.

A degree isn't a waste if it gets you into graduate school, it's a necessity.

University of Maryland – University College (UMUC) in Adelphi, MD | MatchCollege.com The overall graduation rate of UMUC is close to 3%. the facebook reviews also mention a 3 percent graduation rate. Yes i am out of state. i have a sister that lives in Maryland but of course that doesn't help as far as getting out of state tuition. I am in MINnesota.
Are you wanting to become a registered dietitian? If so, then just get an undergraduate degree that is accredited by ACEND. If you want to become a PA, it doesn't really matter what your degree is in. Just make sure the prerequisites are covered. If you're interested in health IT, then WGU is probably the cheapest place you can go to. They offer a degree in health informatics that is accredited by CAHIIM. The only problem with WGU, though, is that their courses are pass/fail. You won't have a GPA.

I don't know if that graduation rate is accurate, but I'm sure that UMUC's graduation rate is low because it is a school that targets adult learners and the military.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I started looking at your credits (from what you posted lasted year), and originally thought that TESU Natural Science and Math would be a great choice. When I started plugging those classes in, though, it turned out not to work as well for a variety of reasons. Charter Oak was similarly difficult.

What worked better was from Excelsior: a BSLA with depths in Biology and Psychology. With a BSLA, your science credits being from 1994-97 won't matter, and you can test out of most of the other classes.

This might not fit your needs, but I thought I would throw it out there in case you change plans.

Excelsior College Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts
Depths in Biology and Psychology

Arts and Sciences Component
WER 1: English Composition I 3
WER 2: English Composition II 3
HUM 1: Humanities 201 3
HUM 2: Humanities 202 3
HUM 3: Need UExcel Bioethics 3UL
SOC 1: Intro to Sociology 3
SOC 2: Intro to Psychology 3
SOC 3: Educational Psychology 3
NSM 1: Precalculus 3
NSM 2: Statistics 3
NSM 3: Botany 3
CAP: Need Liberal Arts Capstone LA 498 3UL
ASE 1: Vertebrate Morphogenesis with Lab 4UL
ASE 2: African-American History 3UL (EC HIS-325)
ASE 3: Need Uexcel Social Psychology PSYX-325 3UL
ASE 4: Need Uexcel Psychology of Adulthood and Aging PSYX-315 3UL
ASE 5: Need UExcel Pathophysiology BIOX-410 3UL
ASE 6: Genetics with Lab 4 (EC BIO-250)
ASE 7: Microbiology with Lab 4 (EC BIO-220)

That takes care of the Arts and Sciences component minimum with 21 upper level hours in Arts and Sciences.

You need nine more hours of upper level credits, either Arts and Sciences or Applied Professional:
DSST Business Ethics 3UL
DSST Substance Abuse 3UL
DSST Intro to Law Enforcement/ Civil War and Reconstruction/ any UL exam etc. 3UL

Within all of your Arts and Sciences credits, you will have two depths: Biology and Psychology.

Depth 1: Vertebrate Morphogenesis with Lab 4UL
Depth 1: Microbiology with Lab 4 (EC BIO-220)
Depth 1: Genetics with Lab 4 (EC BIO-250)

Depth 2: Intro to Psychology 3
Depth 2: Educational Psychology 3
Depth 2: Social Psychology PSYX-325 3UL
Depth 2: Psychology of Adulthood and Aging PSYX-315 3UL

You need one hour of Information Literacy from Excelsior or Coopersmith, and the rest of your degree can be almost any college credit.

Need Information Literacy 1
Speech 3
Spanish 101 3
Spanish 102 3
Spanish 201 3
Spanish 202 3
World Civilization I 3
American History I 3
Health 3
Foundations of Education 3
PE (Archery) 1
PE (Advanced Bowling) 1
General Chemistry I with Lab 4
General Chemistry II with Lab 4
Botany Lab 1
Intro to Biology with Lab 4

After this, you would need 15 hours. You could get that with the CLEP Social Science, CLEP Natural Science, and one more 3-hour exam.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
[quote=KayV]I started looking at your credits (from what you posted lasted year), and originally thought that TESU Natural Science and Math would be a great choice. When I started plugging those classes in, though, it turned out not to work as well for a variety of reasons. Charter Oak was similarly difficult.

What worked better was from Excelsior: a BSLA with depths in Biology and Psychology. With a BSLA, your science credits being from 1994-97 won't matter, and you can test out of most of the other classes.

This might not fit your needs, but I thought I would throw it out there in case you change plans.

Excelsior College Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts
Depths in Biology and Psychology

Arts and Sciences Component
WER 1: English Composition I 3
WER 2: English Composition II 3
HUM 1: Humanities 201 3
HUM 2: Humanities 202 3
HUM 3: Need UExcel Bioethics 3UL
SOC 1: Intro to Sociology 3
SOC 2: Intro to Psychology 3
SOC 3: Educational Psychology 3
NSM 1: Precalculus 3
NSM 2: Statistics 3
NSM 3: Botany 3
CAP: Need Liberal Arts Capstone LA 498 3UL
ASE 1: Vertebrate Morphogenesis with Lab 4UL
ASE 2: African-American History 3UL (EC HIS-325)
ASE 3: Need Uexcel Social Psychology PSYX-325 3UL
ASE 4: Need Uexcel Psychology of Adulthood and Aging PSYX-315 3UL
ASE 5: Need UExcel Pathophysiology BIOX-410 3UL
ASE 6: Genetics with Lab 4 (EC BIO-250)
ASE 7: Microbiology with Lab 4 (EC BIO-220)

That takes care of the Arts and Sciences component minimum with 21 upper level hours in Arts and Sciences.

You need nine more hours of upper level credits, either Arts and Sciences or Applied Professional:
DSST Business Ethics 3UL
DSST Substance Abuse 3UL
DSST Intro to Law Enforcement/ Civil War and Reconstruction/ any UL exam etc. 3UL

Within all of your Arts and Sciences credits, you will have two depths: Biology and Psychology.

Depth 1: Vertebrate Morphogenesis with Lab 4UL
Depth 1: Microbiology with Lab 4 (EC BIO-220)
Depth 1: Genetics with Lab 4 (EC BIO-250)

Depth 2: Intro to Psychology 3
Depth 2: Educational Psychology 3
Depth 2: Social Psychology PSYX-325 3UL
Depth 2: Psychology of Adulthood and Aging PSYX-315 3UL

You need one hour of Information Literacy from Excelsior or Coopersmith, and the rest of your degree can be almost any college credit.

Need Information Literacy 1
Speech 3
Spanish 101 3
Spanish 102 3
Spanish 201 3
Spanish 202 3
World Civilization I 3
American History I 3
Health 3
Foundations of Education 3
PE (Archery) 1
PE (Advanced Bowling) 1
General Chemistry I with Lab 4
General Chemistry II with Lab 4
Botany Lab 1
Intro to Biology with Lab 4

After this, you would need 15 hours. You could get that with the CLEP Social Science, CLEP Natural Science, and one more 3-hour exam.[/QUOTE

hmm ill look into that. I will apply just to see how many credits they actually accept. If it's more than 63 then awesome.
Spend $25 with the Peace Officers Association of Georgia to become an associate member and get partnership pricing.
https://www.poag.org/membership-signup/

If you tell them you're a member you get the application fee waived.
Excelsior College | Peace Officers Association of Georgia
Click on the Financial Aid and Partnership Pricing tab on the left for cost details.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
daboywonder2002 Wrote:Let me break down my situation. 101 credits taken towards a degree in biology at my previous school. Now some classes are less than a C so they won't transfer over. Now i have a few career goals in mind. 1)Get master's degree in nutrition and go from there. 2)get a job in Health IT. I can easily get my health IT certificate. 3) and it's a long shot but go to PA school. Now i've been accepted to 2 colleges reasonably priced. First one is UMUC they accepted 65 of my credits and it would be towards a degree in Health Services management. Here's the problem. the reviews weren't good about this school. 3% graduation rate and i have no interest in managing hospitals or anything. Next school is Wilmington University. Good school. I know people who went there and can co sign this school. It's also less expensive but they only accepted 57 credits. This would be a Health Sciences degree. I know to work in nutrition i still have to take the requirements. aka organic chemistry, anatomy and physiology, etc. Maybe i can do it at a community college for a lesser cost.

I can help you with the nutrition part.

To "work in nutrition" you have to either choose a licensed occupation or a non-licensed occupation. Licensed work includes Registered Dietitians (RD), Nutritionists, Licensed Nutritionists, and Nutrition or Dietetic Tech. These are considered "legitimate" nutrition occupations, and are heavily regulated in the United States. EVERYTHING else is non-licensed and exceptionally slippery. There are fringe organizations (for profits) that will sell you credentials, please be careful. In many states it's illegal to use the word (the literal WORD) nutrition in any professional capacity. ACEND, for good or bad, has big teeth and takes pleasure in rooting out people using the credentials they own- in short- they don't want anyone claiming any nutrition knowledge unless they've sanctioned it. I'll leave that discussion for another thread. Wink

If you ever want to work for a doctor, hospital, WIC program, health department, outreach program, college, research university, and others, you need an official licensed credential.

Non-licensed occupations (like me, I'm a chef) have to be thought of as "personal enrichment" and not much more. In other words, I can teach nutrition in a culinary program at a university, I can teach nutrition in a culinary program at a college, I can teach nutritional cooking in any adult education / continuing education program. I can NOT teach nutrition from a nutrition department or biology department.
Interestingly enough, I taught Culinary Nutrition for a long time before earning my master's, so my master's was more of a cherry on top - it wasn't the credential that qualified me for the job if that makes sense. In short, there are no professions I know of where a non-licensed master's in nutrition is the required degree.

I urge you to use caution because the usefulness of a master's in nutrition may be different than you expect.
cookderosa Wrote:I can help you with the nutrition part.

To "work in nutrition" you have to either choose a licensed occupation or a non-licensed occupation. Licensed work includes Registered Dietitians (RD), Nutritionists, Licensed Nutritionists, and Nutrition or Dietetic Tech. These are considered "legitimate" nutrition occupations, and are heavily regulated in the United States. EVERYTHING else is non-licensed and exceptionally slippery. There are fringe organizations (for profits) that will sell you credentials, please be careful. In many states it's illegal to use the word (the literal WORD) nutrition in any professional capacity. ACEND, for good or bad, has big teeth and takes pleasure in rooting out people using the credentials they own- in short- they don't want anyone claiming any nutrition knowledge unless they've sanctioned it. I'll leave that discussion for another thread. Wink

If you ever want to work for a doctor, hospital, WIC program, health department, outreach program, college, research university, and others, you need an official licensed credential.

Non-licensed occupations (like me, I'm a chef) have to be thought of as "personal enrichment" and not much more. In other words, I can teach nutrition in a culinary program at a university, I can teach nutrition in a culinary program at a college, I can teach nutritional cooking in any adult education / continuing education program. I can NOT teach nutrition from a nutrition department or biology department.
Interestingly enough, I taught Culinary Nutrition for a long time before earning my master's, so my master's was more of a cherry on top - it wasn't the credential that qualified me for the job if that makes sense. In short, there are no professions I know of where a non-licensed master's in nutrition is the required degree.

I urge you to use caution because the usefulness of a master's in nutrition may be different than you expect.

I would definitely want to become licensed. i wish more schools had an online bachelors in nutrition but there aren't many. would it make sense to major in health sciences or even Environmental science then get my master's in nutrition?
daboywonder2002 Wrote:I would definitely want to become licensed. i wish more schools had an online bachelors in nutrition but there aren't many. would it make sense to major in health sciences or even Environmental science then get my master's in nutrition?

Non-licensed people with degrees in nutrition (myself) are qualified to give general food and nutrition information that applies to the population at large- I can say "in this recipe, you can take out the butter and use olive oil because......" or "vitamin supplements are usually......." and so on.

So here's an important distinction. A licensed nutrition worker is qualified to counsel a specific person about their specific health - they are a clinician. They are a health care provider providing services covered by health insurance.

An RD can say "I'm putting you on the Mediterranean Diet. Here is the dietary plan to follow at home. We'll meet each Thursday to discuss your cholesterol levels." That would be an illegal conversation for me to have in North Carolina where I live. I could be charged with practicing medicine without a license.

I'll leave you to it- but here is a list of schools you can choose from.
If you find an online option, know that your clinical work (called Didactic) will still be face to face. RDs don't need Master's Degrees, and a Master's Degree won't back-track to qualify you for RD status. For example, if I wanted to become an RD, I would have to start with a Bachelor's Degree through an ACEND program and follow the same steps. (my master's wouldn't count because it's not ACEND)

1) Bachelor's Degree through an ACEND approved program
2) Obtain placement into a Didactic program for your clinical hours (this is competitive, and like medical school, you may not get to choose your placement site)
3) Pass your licensing exam

Accredited and Approved Dietetics Education Programs - Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics - from the Academy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 17 621 Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Bingbong
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,847 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 405 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,469 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 346 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,712 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,188 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,710 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,345 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Decide your path of study... bjcheung77 2 236 07-25-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: nyvrem