Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Study.com college level?
FWIW, I don't think the courses are high school level (as a lot of the courses aren't available as high school classes, so it would be hard to compare), but they are not "advanced" in terms of the MOOC's you're discussing. They're college-level, but doable for the average person, but most aren't so easy that a 10yo could do them with ease. Depends on the course, because there is more than one level to college, but I would say most are freshman/sophomore Community College type courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Also, it's worth considering that the expectations of a 101 level college course might be too high. Honestly, these are introductions to topics, and the content isn't usually "hard." In fact, I've only had a few college courses that I considered the content to be hard, and those were in the sciences.
This is a good question. I ended up with 509 credit hours on my TESU transcript at graduation. Some of those classes were extremely difficult. I think about the differential equations classes through EdX. Those were crazy difficult. Some were easy, like the one credit Sophia classes. I think that this is probably true for any college degree. I think back to my Michigan degree. I had a couple of classes that were not difficult. Probably the easiest class at Michigan is equal to a middle level or bottom-upper-third class via test-out options. But I also think about all of the community colleges and lower level universities out there. I think that the range is probably reasonably close to the test out options. Just think about colleges that require gym classes. Haha. Also, some classes at building-based colleges measure the ability to do a lot of work rather than high-level expertise. I think that the range of study.com classes is pretty good. There are many that require papers. I think that those classes are probably on par in terms of work to community colleges and lower level universities. I actually did fail a paper or two at study.com. I also failed several study.com exams. So these things aren't gimmies. And I think that the shmoop situation proves that there are standards being enforced.

BTW, I would think about a test out degree like climbing a mountain. There will be some people who take the easiest route to the top and then there are the climbers who don't use ropes, take the most impossible route, etc. I think that there is value in adding some degree of difficulty to the degree beyond the basic requirements. College degrees are not all the same and this is true for test out degrees as well as the bricks-and-mortar degrees.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • cookderosa, MNomadic
(07-09-2018, 10:33 AM)eriehiker Wrote: This is a good question. I ended up with 509 credit hours on my TESU transcript at graduation. Some of those classes were extremely difficult. I think about the differential equations classes through EdX. Those were crazy difficult. Some were easy, like the one credit Sophia classes. I think that this is probably true for any college degree. I think back to my Michigan degree. I had a couple of classes that were not difficult. Probably the easiest class at Michigan is equal to a middle level or bottom-upper-third class via test-out options. But I also think about all of the community colleges and lower level universities out there. I think that the range is probably reasonably close to the test out options. Just think about colleges that require gym classes. Haha. Also, some classes at building-based colleges measure the ability to do a lot of work rather than high-level expertise. I think that the range of study.com classes is pretty good. There are many that require papers. I think that those classes are probably on par in terms of work to community colleges and lower level universities. I actually did fail a paper or two at study.com. I also failed several study.com exams. So these things aren't gimmies. And I think that the shmoop situation proves that there are standards being enforced.

BTW, I would think about a test out degree like climbing a mountain. There will be some people who take the easiest route to the top and then there are the climbers who don't use ropes, take the most impossible route, etc. I think that there is value in adding some degree of difficulty to the degree beyond the basic requirements. College degrees are not all the same and this is true for test out degrees as well as the bricks-and-mortar degrees.

And in other news, you win. 509?!!?! Seriously.
(07-09-2018, 12:01 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(07-09-2018, 10:33 AM)eriehiker Wrote: This is a good question.  I ended up with 509 credit hours on my TESU transcript at graduation.  Some of those classes were extremely difficult.  I think about the differential equations classes through EdX.  Those were crazy difficult.  Some were easy, like the one credit Sophia classes.  I think that this is probably true for any college degree.  I think back to my Michigan degree.  I had a couple of classes that were not difficult.  Probably the easiest class at Michigan is equal to a middle level or bottom-upper-third class via test-out options.  But I also think about all of the community colleges and lower level universities out there.  I think that the range is probably reasonably close to the test out options.  Just think about colleges that require gym classes.  Haha.  Also, some classes at building-based colleges measure the ability to do a lot of work rather than high-level expertise.  I think that the range of study.com classes is pretty good.  There are many that require papers.  I think that those classes are probably on par in terms of work to community colleges and lower level universities.  I actually did fail a paper or two at study.com.  I also failed several study.com exams.  So these things aren't gimmies.  And I think that the shmoop situation proves that there are standards being enforced.

BTW, I would think about a test out degree like climbing a mountain.  There will be some people who take the easiest route to the top and then there are the climbers who don't use ropes, take the most impossible route, etc.  I think that there is value in adding some degree of difficulty to the degree beyond the basic requirements.  College degrees are not all the same and this is true for test out degrees as well as the bricks-and-mortar degrees.

And in other news, you win. 509?!!?! Seriously.

Agreed!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Haha! Well, this includes credits from a previous bachelor's degree (about 150 credit hours) and an MAT (about 30 credits). So I completed about 300 credit hours (some duplicates) during this stretch of learning. I like learning about a lot of things.
(07-09-2018, 01:55 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Haha! Well, this includes credits from a previous bachelor's degree (about 150 credit hours) and an MAT (about 30 credits). So I completed about 300 credit hours (some duplicates) during this stretch of learning. I like learning about a lot of things.

Haha! That's just me as well, I am going for it all, the max undergrad Associates and Bachelors from TESU (2 each)... like a few people on this board has already done before me... On the way to those Associates and Bachelors, I'm adding a couple or at most, 3 or certificates along that path.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
(07-09-2018, 01:55 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Haha! Well, this includes credits from a previous bachelor's degree (about 150 credit hours) and an MAT (about 30 credits). So I completed about 300 credit hours (some duplicates) during this stretch of learning. I like learning about a lot of things.

Still, even with your grad credits in there, that's a lot. I have a lot of loose credit that isn't inside a degree too- but nothing like yours!!! None of mine duplicate, but even if they did I'm nowhere near you lol.
AOS: 81
AA: 60
BA: 62
loose science: 32
loose DSST: 3
loose grad: 8
MA: 33
TOTAL: 279
Study.com definitely is in the range of college-level. I am currently taking courses from B&M colleges and universities; the Study.com courses are the same just quicker.

EDIT: Wow eriehiker, that is a lot of credits. How long did it take you to do differential equations on EdX? I just finished calc I again and I have calc II in the fall. Some people say calc II is harder than all the others in the series. Is diff equations comparable to calc II or harder?
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
Well, the differential equations classes were the last train leaving the station last summer and fall. The ACE approval was set to expire and it looked like EdX was not going to offer them again. This all proved to be true. I was not ready to take them because I had only taken Calc. I at that point, but I decided to go for it. The classes ran on a schedule, so I pulled a couple of all-nighters along the way. Of the three courses, I passed two of them. One of them, I was just a couple of hundredths of a percent away from passing. That is HUNDREDTHS of a percent. I had exhausted all of the available point possibilities within the course and as a last ditch effort, I emailed the TA and he opened just a couple of questions for an additional attempt and I passed. I still thank that TA for his compassion. I think that Calc. II is harder, but without any preparation and on a tight schedule, the differential equations for me were really tough. It makes me feel really good looking back on it, though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 68 44,874 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Limited Time 68% Off College Saver at Study.com portals 41 7,266 10 hours ago
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 182 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Lightbulb Study.com 5 Exam Limit per Month Clarification Jaymes 2 230 09-13-2024, 08:06 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,790 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Study.com non-proctored final exams Tsanchez123 6 606 08-30-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: wow
  Study.com renewal discount Tsanchez123 1 234 08-25-2024, 10:53 AM
  Which order should I take these Study.com Classes from easiest to most difficult? mohelena02 9 3,207 08-16-2024, 11:36 AM
  Study.com Exam, Accidentally Left Installer Open ExcellentPhoto 2 385 08-13-2024, 06:41 PM
  Study.com—is this course NCCRS or ACE? wow 15 713 08-12-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP