Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It Possible to Become Fluent in Chinese in Just 9 Weeks??
(10-19-2021, 05:36 PM)freeloader Wrote: I live in the US and speak a little Spanish and my wife is quite conversant in it. Advanced knowledge of Spanish has never been something that I felt like would help me get a job I wanted or a promotion.

I don't disagree with anything you said. But I feel there can be very good reasons to want to study languages besides getting a job or a promotion e.g. maybe you want to visit, or perhaps know more about the culture, literature and/or history, have met overseas people here, etc. Those were always my personal reasons -- I guess not many people on this forum share my view. Oh well...
[-] The following 2 users Like Johann's post:
  • LevelUP, rachel83az
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm currently doing Russian at XAMK because it looked interesting and I wanted to. Not for job prospects.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Johann, LevelUP
I think Johann and freeloader are both right.

Countries like India make a national commitment to foreign languages.  In a lot of colleges in India, English is the only language used.

Market-driven economics do affect the motivation to learn a language. For example, in some countries, you can make double the income if you know English. 

In America, if you work as a dental assistant, you could literally increase the Spanish-only-speaking patients if you know even an A1/A2 level Spanish. So that may help get you the job and make you more valuable.

Learning a foreign language can open you to a whole new world filled with a different culture and social opportunities.

Everyone does have their different reasons for learning a new language.  It's not an all-or-nothing type of decision as to how far you want to take your language education.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Johann
(10-20-2021, 01:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I don't know about anyone else, but I'm currently doing Russian at XAMK because it looked interesting and I wanted to. Not for job prospects.

Тогда молодцы! (Good for you! Well done!)  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johann's post:
  • rachel83az
(10-17-2021, 03:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I would expect that most missionaries are at A1 or maybe A2 level upon leaving the MTC. There's just not enough time to get any better than that.

Nine weeks is definitely not enough to become fluent. The Defense Language Institute is a full-time language school for the military, and the Chinese Mandarin course is 63 weeks long, 40 hours per week. Students must pass the final DLPT at a 2/2/2 level to graduate, which is equivalent to a B2 level under the CEFR ratings. With only nine weeks of study, I agree with you that most students would be at A1, with a small percentage maybe hitting A2. Even an easy language like Spanish required 26 weeks at DLI to reach a B2 level.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
Anybody ever heard of the Diglot Weave learning method?

One of the problems for language learners is getting to the point where they can read in their target language.  But how do you read and comprehend without knowing enough of the words?  This is the Catch 22 paradox.
https://languagemixing.com/learn-spanish

That can work for books and there is a browser plugin that will switch only certain words to your target language.

Thoughts?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I think that's how the Assimil system works. I have the Toucan plugin for Chrome but I don't really use it.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Once upon a time you could go to the website of the People's Daily, China's leading newspaper (and acknowledged arm of the Chinese government) and engage in written conversation with a Chinese person who wants to practice their English language skills.  Some of it was just casual conversation but some was more focused on specific subjects, the primary interest of the learner typically.  For many people it's the only way to practice, something we know is critical for true fluency.  If you poke about the site a bit you might discover whether they still do this.
English--People's Daily Online

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learn Chinese, Russian or Arabic? rachel83az 1 579 07-30-2022, 08:36 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  AP2 in 8 weeks (Summer semester) or Micro 2L8 3 1,261 02-02-2020, 03:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  "Chinese Literature in Translation-Poetry" at BYU-IS still available pws 2 1,067 12-04-2019, 05:07 AM
Last Post: pws
  Microbiology in 8 weeks? 2L8 10 3,465 10-06-2019, 06:29 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Chinese cookderosa 4 1,425 10-29-2018, 09:05 PM
Last Post: peacel
  nervous, clueless, and less than two weeks time :( blaczkowitz 22 4,589 12-22-2017, 04:24 AM
Last Post: blaczkowitz
  BA in 16-18 weeks? MrCooperTHE1 93 10,794 08-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  HELP! - I need Upper Level Liberal Arts Credit in 3 weeks! Qwerty56 14 2,021 07-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  2 WEEKS left before DSST Civil War and Reconstruction Exam!! Raiders20 6 1,597 06-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Last Post: musictester
  15 credits two weeks! djam303 5 1,801 05-01-2016, 09:17 AM
Last Post: cookderosa