Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Double Majoring Worth It?
Is Double Majoring Worth It?

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/is-dou...-worth-it/
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
It depends on the majors you choose, I think. If I had to do things over, I wish I had double majored in accounting and computer science.
I'm not sure if it makes sense for myself at this stage, but if it was possible, I would double major because it would save me effort in the long run. Right now, because I didn't plan that ahead, I'm looking to do a masters or at least multiple certificates after my bachelor's in order to get experience in another field of interest.
In Progress RA Deg./Cert.: AAS Business with Marketing concentration, and Certificate, 2024
In Progress Cert.: Google PM and IT Support | CAPM
Completed: Certificate and ALS - Community College (RA), 2022, 2023

CLEP: 5 courses | Sophia.org: 1 course | and many non-credits...
(08-24-2022, 07:38 PM)vintage_jacket Wrote: I'm not sure if it makes sense for myself at this stage, but if it was possible, I would double major because it would save me effort in the long run. Right now, because I didn't plan that ahead, I'm looking to do a masters or at least multiple certificates after my bachelor's in order to get experience in another field of interest.

Oh, wow. Less than a month a go, I said no, not for me. But now after being on this forum, I'm seeing how double majoring would be possible.

For me, I think a double major might be more appealing to include in a resume over two BAs. However, it does delay your time before you get your BA, so if you're working full-time and job searching, it might be frustrating to wait.

I did see something interesting thought. There's a college that will let you go back to add a second major but I don't know the details. That seems like a better option: graduate, work/break for a semester, add a second major.
In Progress RA Deg./Cert.: AAS Business with Marketing concentration, and Certificate, 2024

It really just depends on the majors. If they somehow make it worth it for YOU and the job you want, then it might be worth it (like say a business degree in Finance and Accounting; or a BSN and a degree in Healthcare Management; or whatever).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-10-2022, 06:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It really just depends on the majors.  If they somehow make it worth it for YOU and the job you want, then it might be worth it (like say a business degree in Finance and Accounting; or a BSN and a degree in Healthcare Management; or whatever).

I think this is true.  I think there could be some pretty potent combinations.  I know a couple of people who have combined Business-type degrees with a language degree and found their way into international banking.  They spend a certain amount of their time in some sort of back and forth with South America.
(09-10-2022, 08:26 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(09-10-2022, 06:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It really just depends on the majors.  If they somehow make it worth it for YOU and the job you want, then it might be worth it (like say a business degree in Finance and Accounting; or a BSN and a degree in Healthcare Management; or whatever).

I think this is true.  I think there could be some pretty potent combinations.  I know a couple of people who have combined Business-type degrees with a language degree and found their way into international banking.  They spend a certain amount of their time in some sort of back and forth with South America.

Now that's a cool job, if you're into traveling and can travel. Oh, to be young...

Double majoring is great if you know your two subject areas you really want to major in... Example, BA Computer Science and Math double major, in STEM programs that somewhat relate to the other subject area. I would double major if you know you're not coming back for a second degree and want to go into graduate school instead... some people like to go from a Bachelors to Masters right after. Others who want to do a second degree, they can decide if a double major is really needed for them or going to the Masters in that second subject would be better.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hi,

How does a double major differ,
 from getting 2  bachelors degrees?

Can you get a 2nd or 3rd  Bachelors degrees by just taking the required courses for that Major,
by using all the other credits that you have already completed?

THANX!!! Smile Smile Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,155 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Why Majoring in the Humanities Can Be a Great Career Move allvia 1 448 10-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Double Majors in College: What to Know LevelUP 0 538 06-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is an Ivy Education Worth It? Imbanewbie 2 735 05-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New poll shows that majority of Americans now think college isn't worth the cost LevelUP 11 1,425 04-01-2023, 09:55 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,632 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is it worth getting a BA degree after getting a BS degree? nomaduser 5 977 12-23-2022, 04:59 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Tableau Certification; is it worth it? ifomonay 1 769 07-16-2022, 11:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 6,732 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Worth it to pay the $225 for my AS degree? Clepking100 10 2,407 05-07-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: withrown