Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certificate v. Masters
If one (me) wanted to take the PMP after completing coursework for Project Management, under what circumstances would it be advantageous to complete the Masters rather than the Certificate.

I am looking at Western Carolina University - Project Management or Extended Academic Programs | Project Management Certificate.

Is there a general rule of thumb for other degree v. certificate programs or does it depend on heavily on the field. Thanks!
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:If one (me) wanted to take the PMP after completing coursework for Project Management, under what circumstances would it be advantageous to complete the Masters rather than the Certificate.

I am looking at Western Carolina University - Project Management or Extended Academic Programs | Project Management Certificate.

Is there a general rule of thumb for other degree v. certificate programs or does it depend on heavily on the field. Thanks!

I'm not sure that I understand the question.. but I'll tell you what I think anyway... ;-P If you want to get your PMP and you meet the experience and educational requirements then I would not spend time with a PM Masters or Cert. The PMP is the most highly recognized cert in Project Management. I would suggest focusing all efforts around obtaining that. If you need help prepping for the PMP then this can be accomplished relatively inexpensively with the purchase of the Rita book and online training hours obtained through the PMP Prepcast.

If you are looking at advanced degrees I personally don't think a PM specific masters is the way to go. I would go for MBA or if you are in IT then maybe MIS. Just my two cents..

Andrew, PMP
Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Management 06/2014
Thank you. I am interested in obtaining certification so I can be more competitive as a legal project manager. I didn't realize there was an official title but after speaking with a friend of mine who is a PMP - she's working on her MBA, I realize that I am already a legal project manager. It may seem odd that I didn't know that but LPM is something that is extremely new in the legal field. When I read the overview on various websites, to my surprise it describes what I already do (but am not compensated for) - in addition to my paralegal duties. I spoke with HR yesterday and they stated they would certify that I have the number of ours to meet the experience requirements to take the cert exam. But, I still need the educational component. I'm looking into the most cost effective way to accomplish this.

Legal Project Management in One Hour for Lawyers
Mastering the Move to Legal Project Management
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
I would say that no matter what you decide, I'd add to my resume only if I *knew there would be an added benefit in my current job (or future job if I were looking) and could pay cash.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick, Cheap, Easy Academic Certificate kevinmane 11 3,214 09-10-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  IBM Machine Learning Professional Certificate Nukeme3 4 510 07-08-2024, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Nukeme3
  Paralegal certificate midnite123 3 454 05-10-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 483 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UK - Professional certificate - 69£ Imbanewbie 2 709 12-04-2023, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Masters in Public Admin Mike Williams 11 2,470 06-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: teejayb
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 567 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
  Google IT Support Professional Certificate - ACE expiring soon? lumina 12 2,081 03-03-2023, 07:34 PM
  edx - Ec Council- Professional Certificate in Cybersecurity Essentials Imbanewbie 5 1,343 02-24-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  UMPI & Masters Degree midnite123 9 2,416 11-10-2022, 06:04 PM
Last Post: midnite123