Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING
(03-17-2022, 02:37 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(03-17-2022, 12:18 AM)chevy Wrote:
(10-23-2021, 03:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: UMPI is not like any of the Big 3 when it comes to credit transfers. Before you apply, there are some things that you need to keep in mind:

1. You are permitted to bring in up to 90 credits.
  2. Any or all of those credits can be ACE.

Is their published PLA 30 credit limit [link] out of date then, or does a different limit apply to YourPace, or is the point above out of date now?

The rules are different for YourPace, yes. Students are continuing to transfer in 80-90 ACE credits, most of which usually come from Sophia.

Interesting. That makes UMPI YP for 2-3 sessions quite cost competitive vs TESU residency waiver + 6 mandatory credits or one flat-rate term.

Thank you for the quick feedback.
(03-17-2022, 03:54 AM)chevy Wrote: Interesting. That makes UMPI YP for 2-3 sessions quite cost competitive vs TESU residency waiver + 6 mandatory credits or one flat-rate term.

Yep. All-in, you can get a degree at UMPI for approx. $3-5k (depending on how fast you can write papers). TESU is at least $5k + the cost of Sophia, SDC, etc.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • chevy
(03-17-2022, 03:54 AM)chevy Wrote:
(03-17-2022, 02:37 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(03-17-2022, 12:18 AM)chevy Wrote:
(10-23-2021, 03:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: UMPI is not like any of the Big 3 when it comes to credit transfers. Before you apply, there are some things that you need to keep in mind:

1. You are permitted to bring in up to 90 credits.
  2. Any or all of those credits can be ACE.

Is their published PLA 30 credit limit [link] out of date then, or does a different limit apply to YourPace, or is the point above out of date now?

The rules are different for YourPace, yes. Students are continuing to transfer in 80-90 ACE credits, most of which usually come from Sophia.

Interesting. That makes UMPI YP for 2-3 sessions quite cost competitive vs TESU residency waiver + 6 mandatory credits or one flat-rate term.

If you want an UMPI degree don't waste your time or money on the PLAs. They also don't count in the 30 credit residency requirement. I looked into them and was told the YourPace classes are faster. You only have 1 paper to write in the YourPace classes. The PLAs require multiple papers and documentation from managers. Also most people on here are only taking classes at UMPI for 1 (8 weeks) or 2 sessions (16 weeks) which is $1400 or $2800 plus the cost of the Sophia/Study.com/InstantCert courses.

ACE credits aren't really PLAs. They're transfer credit.
(03-17-2022, 02:41 PM)ss20ts Wrote: If you want an UMPI degree don't waste your time or money on the PLAs. They also don't count in the 30 credit residency requirement. I looked into them and was told the YourPace classes are faster. You only have 1 paper to write in the YourPace classes. The PLAs require multiple papers and documentation from managers. Also most people on here are only taking classes at UMPI for 1 (8 weeks) or 2 sessions (16 weeks) which is $1400 or $2800 plus the cost of the Sophia/Study.com/InstantCert courses.

UMPI explicitly refers to ACE, CLEP, DANTES, Portfolio, et al, "collectively as Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)." I'm not even considering Portfolio Assessment, which is what I think you think I meant. Ain't got time for that. Only considering ACE + existing RA creds + 30 residency creds. If I can transfer in, for example, nearly all the requirements for a BBA, and then take the 30 SH residency in the missing pieces plus additional concentrations or minors that actually interest me, that would be perfectly aligned with my professional and personal academic goals.

Props to you by the way, ss20ts. Through your posts I learned that it's now possible to return for an additional degree after BAS/BLS conferral, so I may pursue one of those first for the "quick credentials" then come back later or move on to a graduate program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chevy's post:
  • Tedium
(03-17-2022, 08:20 PM)chevy Wrote:
(03-17-2022, 02:41 PM)ss20ts Wrote: If you want an UMPI degree don't waste your time or money on the PLAs. They also don't count in the 30 credit residency requirement. I looked into them and was told the YourPace classes are faster. You only have 1 paper to write in the YourPace classes. The PLAs require multiple papers and documentation from managers. Also most people on here are only taking classes at UMPI for 1 (8 weeks) or 2 sessions (16 weeks) which is $1400 or $2800 plus the cost of the Sophia/Study.com/InstantCert courses.

UMPI explicitly refers to ACE, CLEP, DANTES, Portfolio, et al, "collectively as Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)." I'm not even considering Portfolio Assessment, which is what I think you think I meant. Ain't got time for that. Only considering ACE + existing RA creds + 30 residency creds. If I can transfer in, for example, nearly all the requirements for a BBA, and then take the 30 SH residency in the missing pieces plus additional concentrations or minors that actually interest me, that would be perfectly aligned with my professional and personal academic goals.

Props to you by the way, ss20ts. Through your posts I learned that it's now possible to return for an additional degree after BAS/BLS conferral, so I may pursue one of those first for the "quick credentials" then come back later or move on to a graduate program.

The catalog words things really weird. When you speak to the YourPace staff they don't talk like how things are worded in the catalog. It's so weird how ACE, CLEP, and AP are lumped in with PLAs....yet RA transfer credit isn't. It's just weird. The last paragraph of that section of the catalog talks about PLAs. 

Just to let you know it's a BA in Business Administration not a BBA degree. There is a BBA degree and some people confuse them with the business degree at UMPI. I understand why. It is odd to get a BA in Bus Admin. I haven't seen one elsewhere. Even a BLS is an odd degree. 

Yes you can now complete your BLS, graduate, then return for a BA. You do have to graduate first. Then you have to complete an additional 30 credits at UMPI. I don't think you can do the BABA then come back for the BLS. I could be wrong. When I started in 2020 you couldn't come back for a BA if you finished a BLS which made no sense. I was told over and over it was a terminal degree and I wasn't allowed back. I was like I graduated with a 4.0 and I'm willing to pay you cash and you don't want me? Huh? They have changed the policy. Finally! Maybe someone got sick of me asking. LOL 

Getting my BABA did help me with grad school. It waived me from several undergrad business requirements. I wouldn't have been waived without that degree. It's not like this at all schools or all grad degrees. MBA's quite often have undergrad prereqs and that's what I was waived from thankfully!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • chevy
Would someone be able to clarify the GED requirements of "40 unique credits"? I think it looks as though I can cover the gen ed with 30-32 or something but obviously that's a lot of duplicates. Do I need to move some of those to electives and take more LL to cover gen ed? Hope this makes sense! (Still in planning mode.)
(05-12-2022, 11:28 PM)Slammyelis Wrote: Would someone be able to clarify the GED requirements of "40 unique credits"? I think it looks as though I can cover the gen ed with 30-32 or something but obviously that's a lot of duplicates. Do I need to move some of those to electives and take more LL to cover gen ed? Hope this makes sense! (Still in planning mode.)

40 unique credits means that you need at least 13 different classes in GEC. If you only have, say, 10 classes to cover GEC, you will need to do something like take Ethics AND Studying Religions from Sophia to cover three slots, instead of letting one class cover everything.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Depending on the degree you're looking at within the YourPace programs at UMPI, all degrees will require 40 General Education credits, one being a science with lab. Your major, concentration and minor, will take up "a different" number of requirements, and then the electives will range from 18-21, 34, or 62 elective credits that can be any course you want. You just need to make sure to have 30 UMPI credits for residency and the required 24 Upper Level credits for the degree.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I have activated my account and sent my transfers, but I haven't spoken to any enrollment counselors. They have called me everyday. Do I need to, or can I keep ignoring?
[-] The following 1 user Likes upgrayedd's post:
  • ss20ts
Here is one thing I will say. I sat and sat and read many posts here. And finally decided with my 180 credits and recently 30 Sophia credits to go over to UMPI. And yes those people who don’t work there and recruit you. They don’t even know much at all and can promise and say anything but unless Jessica or Cody or another person with a @maine.edu address gives you the info it’s not worth anything. Also as long as you’re communicating with them you can still transfer in your Sophia Spanish and business ethics as I did. And yes you need 30 residency credits which is ten classes. Can someone do it in one semester yeah sure if that’s the only thing you’re working on without anything else in your world. Because let’s face it. Competency based test but a truly significant amount of writing. There is no reason though you can’t get it done in a time you want if it’s doable in the number of classes. I’m going to do the MAOL masters and I know that’s going to be a smack in the face of reality of how much harder it is. But thanks to Sophia and this board of you folks I was prepared. Everyone has there feelings and I didn’t think I’d like there platform but it’s not bad and I came from CANVAS at University of Florida. But hey I’m about to do BUS 200 business intermediate computing for thanksgiving and that seems like maybe my hard one.
[-] The following 3 users Like Ericf's post:
  • jearl, Mr T, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit Evaluation w/o Applying to UMPI? b819 15 2,295 07-18-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: allvia
  BLS with a minor in Information Systems or BBA PM & IS ZO10 23 2,040 03-28-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Can I transfer credits after applying? annanotherone 8 832 02-22-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA Project Management & Information Systems GoBroncos95 5 818 01-26-2024, 12:58 PM
  UMPI Collecting credits before applying? adrianeraldo 28 3,985 09-29-2023, 10:06 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  UMPI BLS Information Systems mohelena02 5 1,829 11-30-2022, 12:38 PM
Last Post: mohelena02
  Quick question about applying acethroughcollege 10 1,421 11-15-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: KSoul
  UPMI - Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Management Information Systems Minor (Plan?) allvia 4 2,498 05-21-2022, 11:36 PM
  BLS ( information technology minor) General education? Sara143 29 3,146 03-23-2022, 08:21 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Applying for Graduation CCCC 4 1,090 02-28-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: CCCC