Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IQ Tests
Just wondering if those on this board were above average to gifted students in a traditional school setting. I truly believe if testing were possible for "everyone" everyone would be testing out instead of spending four years and thousands of dollars for their degree. This Jan I am going to start the process of testing out for my BS at TESC. While I am very excited to start. I am also a little apprehensive. My IQ score is roughly 135. But I never did well in school. I actually hated it. Any B/C students on this forum that did well with testing out? Or am I kidding myself that this is possible?
There are a lot of things that could be different now, How long have you been ouy of school? What is your motivation this time.

With your IQ you could say itis just a natter of the time and effort you are willing to give

You can do it Good Luck
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
LXOZ brought up an interesting point in the latest post...IQ. How many here have had their IQ tested...whether it be online or in a study? I am curious to see if there is any correlation between advanced IQ and the ability to self-study and graduate at an advanced rate. One would think there is.

My last one was 137...any others?
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
I did a long on-line test and got a 131. Not sure how to even go about getting a "real" test.
[SIZE="5"]David[/SIZE]
Associate of Arts, Columbia Southern University--Dec 2010

[SIZE="2"]Traditional College Credits: 70
FEMA: 5
CLEP:
English Comp w/ Essay (6) -- 59 (10/2/08)
Social Sciences & History (6) -- 65 (10/7/08)
A&I Literature (6) -- 70 (10/22/08)
DSST:
Principals of Supervision (3) -- 59 (10/16/08)
Intro to Computers (3) -- 447 (2/19/09)
Here's to Your Health (3) -- 449 (4/1/10)
Substance Abuse (3) -- 449 (4/5/10)
[COLOR="Red"]
--Goals: BS Health Care Administration from Columbia Southern University (Currently w/ a 4.0 GPA!!)--May 2011 (103 of 121)[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Ignore the IQ. It always comes down to you can do whatever YOU want to do.

Don't let anyone or anything (the IQ test) tell you otherwise! If you put in the work you will get the results. Those tests have been thrown out of many schools as they can be false indicators in too many ways. If a kid is not feeling well on the day of the test or preoccupied with other problems they will not do well. Other kids are just good at testing and do well but may not be any more bright than anyone else.

Just move toward YOUR personal goals!
I have not had my IQ tested since I was in High School over 35 years ago. Since those were the days of Vietnam War protest, free love, and flower power. I have no idea what condition I was in when tested. My 116 would make me look like not much of a learner, but I seem to be doing OK.
My husband has an IQ in the stratosphere (he used to be a member of MENSA) he has never shown the interest in self motivating online schooling. He has his BS from a B & M and he doesn't plan on going further.
My older son has many learning disabilities and his tested IQ has been as low as 73 and as high as 103. It all depends on when, where, and with who he takes the test.
My younger son has been tested once at 129, but that was a really bad day for him, because of disturbing activity in the neighborhood the night before. He on the other hand cant even seem to motivate himself to pass a CC college course.
So I don't think IQ is the factor that matters, I think anyone with the right motivation and determination can do it.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Basket Weaver Wrote:I am curious to see if there is any correlation between advanced IQ and the ability to self-study and graduate at an advanced rate. One would think there is.

My last one was 137...any others?
It may indicate a greater ability -- I really don't know. But, as Lindagerr rightly noted, ability is one thing and will quite another. I know a lot of people who are definitely smart enough to graduate at an advanced rate...but won't. Alas.

I took two of the first internet IQ tests that came up with a Google search. I got 142 on the first one and 138 on the second one, but I'm inclined to take that with a big grain of salt. IQ tests aren't exactly notorious for accuracy. Perhaps I'll get a real test some day when I happen to feel particularly smart. Hey: maybe all this testing will make my brain work better! That's what it's supposed to do, right? Big Grin
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
Quote:IQ tests aren't exactly notorious for accuracy.

I took an online IQ test once...I forget what the score was exactly, but it was whatever score is just above the level of mental retardation. :confused:

So yeah, I hope you are right about the inaccuracy thing. Rolleyes
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
JanusthePhoenix Wrote:So yeah, I hope you are right about the inaccuracy thing. Rolleyes
Judging by the academic accomplishments evident from your signature, I'd say that the inaccuracy thing is indeed correct.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
LXOZ Wrote:Just wondering if those on this board were above average to gifted students in a traditional school setting. I truly believe if testing were possible for "everyone" everyone would be testing out instead of spending four years and thousands of dollars for their degree. This Jan I am going to start the process of testing out for my BS at TESC. While I am very excited to start. I am also a little apprehensive. My IQ score is roughly 135. But I never did well in school. I actually hated it. Any B/C students on this forum that did well with testing out? Or am I kidding myself that this is possible?
>>

I'll put high IQ against high motivation any day! It's all about motivation. Here is my very average dirty laundry lol:
I'm 39, when I was in high school I graduated with a 2.9 GPA. When I went to culinary school, I graduated (age 20) with a 3.33

I started on my BA when I was about 36, and my test scores were usually in the high 50's, I had a few in the mid 60's. My highest score EVER was a 67 in Human Growth and Development (considered by most people to be a very easy exam). My grades at TESC were good. (15 courses) A direct result of completing every assignment on time. I graduated there with a 3.875

I have taken 1 grad class since then, earned an A.
What changed? I knew how to get an A.

Testing buffers those of us who might not ace every class by allowing a "Pass" instead of a B or C. If you are smart, you'll use this to your advantage.
Also, in distance learning, there will be aspects of the class that are almost a sure fire 100%. Maybe it's discussion posting, or open book quizzes, etc. I always put the most energy into those, which then allowed me to score less than perfect on proctored exams. Currently, my instructor gives easy 100's on labs (for 15% of overall grade) so you can bet I will never miss one of those.
This isn't exactly what you asked, but I wanted to show you that being an A student isn't about IQ, it's about playing the game well and having the motivation to earn an A.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yale will again require standardized tests for admission NotJoeBiden 0 322 02-22-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  FREE Udemy - PMP 2020 Practice tests - 6th Edition - 600 questions bjcheung77 2 1,305 01-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: doom
  FREE Udemy - PMP Practice tests 6th Edition - 500 questions+explanations bjcheung77 7 1,944 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Missing CLEP tests ryoder 4 1,080 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  Can't access Peterson's Practice Tests HorseManiac 61 7,607 11-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Last Post: chenry
  Career Tests ... anyone recommend a good site? cframe 0 819 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Last Post: cframe