Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IQ Tests
I have to say i agree with you Cook. I work with the mentally ill and substance abuse population and many of them have above avg intelligence but can not maintain life skills, attain a license or hold a job. Being able to logically look at things a little sharper doesnt mean someone with a lower IQ and higher determination cant do it.

cookderosa Wrote:>>

I'll put high IQ against high motivation any day! It's all about motivation. Here is my very average dirty laundry lol:
I'm 39, when I was in high school I graduated with a 2.9 GPA. When I went to culinary school, I graduated (age 20) with a 3.33

I started on my BA when I was about 36, and my test scores were usually in the high 50's, I had a few in the mid 60's. My highest score EVER was a 67 in Human Growth and Development (considered by most people to be a very easy exam). My grades at TESC were good. (15 courses) A direct result of completing every assignment on time. I graduated there with a 3.875

I have taken 1 grad class since then, earned an A.
What changed? I knew how to get an A.

Testing buffers those of us who might not ace every class by allowing a "Pass" instead of a B or C. If you are smart, you'll use this to your advantage.
Also, in distance learning, there will be aspects of the class that are almost a sure fire 100%. Maybe it's discussion posting, or open book quizzes, etc. I always put the most energy into those, which then allowed me to score less than perfect on proctored exams. Currently, my instructor gives easy 100's on labs (for 15% of overall grade) so you can bet I will never miss one of those.
This isn't exactly what you asked, but I wanted to show you that being an A student isn't about IQ, it's about playing the game well and having the motivation to earn an A.
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
nj593 Wrote:I have to say i agree with you Cook. I work with the mentally ill and substance abuse population and many of them have above avg intelligence but can not maintain life skills, attain a license or hold a job. Being able to logically look at things a little sharper doesnt mean someone with a lower IQ and higher determination cant do it.
>>

Exactly! And there are examples of individuals with very low IQs, maybe even clinically retarded (is that the wrong PC word?) who lead very productive lives!

Exactly! And there are examples of individuals with very low IQs, maybe even clinically retarded (is that the wrong PC word?) who lead very productive lives!

Yeah, I have had some clients that are considered by law legally developed which is a score of 70 or below and yet do all the normal functions of life and even drive. They are not the strongest link but they surely can manage daily items and survive. Smile
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

FEMA IS courses- alot

attempting currently
Masters in counseling

Awww...does this mean I really am retarded? Sad

Wink
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
Basket Weaver Wrote:LXOZ brought up an interesting point in the latest post...IQ. How many here have had their IQ tested...whether it be online or in a study? I am curious to see if there is any correlation between advanced IQ and the ability to self-study and graduate at an advanced rate. One would think there is.

My last one was 137...any others?

I think my last one was about 80 or 90. I think it was probably because I didn't finish it though.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Basket Weaver Wrote:LXOZ brought up an interesting point in the latest post...IQ. How many here have had their IQ tested...whether it be online or in a study? I am curious to see if there is any correlation between advanced IQ and the ability to self-study and graduate at an advanced rate. One would think there is.

My last one was 137...any others?

IQ Tests online are not accurate at all and the scores are made up. The only tests that people can take for IQ have to be moderated and done by psychologists I.E. "Wisc" for children.

FEMA IS courses- alot

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
[-] The following 1 user Likes nj593's post:
  • dewisant
last official IQ test I took i got a 120.

Which means nothing apparently cause I cant pass a Clep haha or a DSST.

And I agree with the hard work comment. I was pretty lazy in school I finished with a 3.2 with no effort at all

according to this all you 130s are smarty pants

Descriptive Classifications of Intelligence Quotients

IQ
Description
% of Population

130+
Very superior
2.2%

120-129
Superior
6.7%

110-119
High average
16.1%

90-109
Average
50%

80-89
Low average
16.1%

70-79
Borderline
6.7%

Below 70
Extremely low
2.2%
I got this online for you guys...

Guidelines for Interpreting IQ Scores

There are many popular misconceptions and misinterpretations of IQ scores. Some psychologists give IQ a "holy grail" status, whilst others see it as just another personality characteristic. In this sense, intelligence is just one of the many individual psychological differences. Nevertheless, intelligence remains arguably the single most critical characteristic which determines general psychological functioning across a variety of situation.

IQ testing has a history of being used for classifying and selecting people. As such IQ tables which give labels for various IQ scores are rules of thumb and controversial. Therefore, use these general guidelines to help interpret IQ scores:

IQ does not indicate the 'value' of a person

An IQ score reflects someone's level of performance on a standard set of tasks. These tasks are designed to be indicative of a general quality called 'intelligence', which is the capacity to observe, analyze, interpret and act adaptively on information.

IQ scores obtained from a certain test should not be interpreted as absolute measures of intelligence, but rather as indicators of the probable range in which the 'true' IQ lies.

Use such IQ classification tables to develop an intuitive sense of the level of intellectual functionality that people with different IQ scores are likely to have. Avoid relying on any one person's suggested IQ ratings -- instead try to "read across" several different guidelines.

When measuring IQ, there is a degree of error (e.g., someone who gets an IQ score of 89 may be "normal", but just had a below par day when tested). Larger differences (e.g., greater than 10 points) are more meaningful and reliable. Also note that the younger a child is, the less reliable his/her IQ test scores will be.

Interpretation of an IQ score should occur in the context of broader assessment, e.g., a case report based on behavior observation and interview by a psychologist or team of mental and medical health professionals.

Although there is clearly some level of unreliability and invalidities in psychological testing, these tests generally provide a more accurate and reliable tool than ad hoc judgments.

Remember, there is huge debate as to where "IQ" exists or whether it is better understood as consisting of sub-types of intelligence, e.g., musical intelligence, spatial intelligence, etc.

Be wary that some scales may refer to "ratio IQ" (original way of calculating IQ) and other scales use "deviation IQ" (more recent and now used more widely). Ratio IQ is based on "mental age vs. chronological age". Deviation IQ scores deflate ratio IQ scores - they give someone an IQ based on their ranking, using a perfect bell curve distribution. Read more...

IQ scores are not closely linked to other 'desirable' qualities such as career achievement and happiness.
10 Cautions for Interpreting IQ Scores

notaseal Wrote:last official IQ test I took i got a 120.

Which means nothing apparently cause I cant pass a Clep haha or a DSST.

And I agree with the hard work comment. I was pretty lazy in school I finished with a 3.2 with no effort at all

according to this all you 130s are smarty pants

Descriptive Classifications of Intelligence Quotients

IQ
Description
% of Population

130+
Very superior
2.2%

120-129
Superior
6.7%

110-119
High average
16.1%

90-109
Average
50%

80-89
Low average
16.1%

70-79
Borderline
6.7%

Below 70
Extremely low
2.2%

FEMA IS courses- alot

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
nj593 Wrote:I got this online for you guys...

Be wary that some scales may refer to "ratio IQ" (original way of calculating IQ) and other scales use "deviation IQ" (more recent and now used more widely). Ratio IQ is based on "mental age vs. chronological age". Deviation IQ scores deflate ratio IQ scores - they give someone an IQ based on their ranking, using a perfect bell curve distribution. Read more...

IQ scores are not closely linked to other 'desirable' qualities such as career achievement and happiness.
10 Cautions for Interpreting IQ Scores

Boy is there red on my face Tongue
notaseal Wrote:Boy is there red on my face Tongue

Dont be, I just didnt want people to think that those scores meant anything. I had clients that were dumb as bag of hammers when it came to life. But they could school me on something that doesnt relate to anything normal in life, I.E. C++ programming. I had a teenage boy tell me about computer programming and database programming in detail once. Seriously, I sat there as if he was talking french.
None the less his IQ was low because he could not function in a test setting. Those tests trigger everyone different. This is why there were psychologists who found these tests to be bias.
The tests that I find amazing and find that are pretty much on point believe it or not are the ASVAB tests for job classification. I mean that test is able to match people to mos jobs that fit their lifestyles and characteristics. For example they wont stick someone that is melancholy and boring on a Naval Air Craft Carrier to be an airman. But they will find somehow someone who loves excitement and loves a rush to do that job. Same thing for pilots, firefighters etc.
That test i like and find to be close to the real deal.
The IQ test now has become a vanity for people to state a number.
I hear Mensa gives pretty medals. Big Grin Im just kidding those people are bright though.
Take care,
If anyone has a different perspective i would like to hear....

FEMA IS courses- alot

attempting currently
Masters in counseling

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yale will again require standardized tests for admission NotJoeBiden 0 322 02-22-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  FREE Udemy - PMP 2020 Practice tests - 6th Edition - 600 questions bjcheung77 2 1,305 01-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: doom
  FREE Udemy - PMP Practice tests 6th Edition - 500 questions+explanations bjcheung77 7 1,944 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Missing CLEP tests ryoder 4 1,080 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  Can't access Peterson's Practice Tests HorseManiac 61 7,607 11-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Last Post: chenry
  Career Tests ... anyone recommend a good site? cframe 0 819 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Last Post: cframe