Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I found this Forum and am now Inspired to get a Bachelors, Please Advise!
Question 
What kind of Degree do you want? I am aiming for a bachelor's degree, the exact major of the degree doesn't matter too much as long as I can springboard that into some kind of tech-related master's or job in the future. I know these things can be kind of flexible to a certain extent. As such, I don't have a good enough understanding of the nuances between different plans to objectively say I want one degree over the other as long as it accomplishes the above.
Regional Accredited Credits: None
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: I have a few AP Tests from up to 8 years ago which include
    - Physics 1: 3
    - Physics 2: 4
    - Calculus 1: 3
    - Biology: 4
    - World History: 3
    - US History: 4
    - English: 4
but nothing else.
Any certifications or military experience? None
Budget: I have quite a bit of money saved up so I have no hard budget, but given the fact that I am paying for everything myself I would like to save money wherever possible. However, I don't necessarily have any problem with spending a bit more money if I could "buy" myself time (finish faster) and/or peace of mind (ease of doing the degree).
Commitments: I currently work remotely as a software engineer setting my own hours, aside from that I don't want to overwork myself to the point of completely isolating myself from my friends and family.
Dedicated Time to Study: I could at a minimum study 3/hrs a day 6 days a week, with some weeks being able to do more (like 5-8 hours on days with more time) depending on the backlog at work. Probably averaging out to 20-30 hours per week over the long run.
Timeline: Ideally as fast as possible, based on other posts observed here trying to finish in 1 term would be best. Though if it can save significant amounts of pain and money I can technically afford to take longer.
Tuition Assistance: None
Related Skills and Experience:
- Python,
- SQL/Databases,
- Flutter
- Foundational ML Concepts
- (as well as skills pertaining to the above like strong OOP as well as functional design principles, etc...)
- 1.5 years work exprience as a software engineering lead at a small company
- Knowing experienced people who are willing to help me out here or there (not really a skill but still relevant I suppose)
Priorities:
- Pace (Want to finish as fast as possible)
- Money (Self-funded)
- Ease of completion (Don't want to stress/overwork myself in order to accomplish these goals)
- Ideally, I should be actually interested in the courses I am taking
Qualms:
- No issues with taking tests
- No issue with set class times so long as my schedule allows it
- No issue with writing up papers
- My biggest issues are:
    a. Pointless busy work...I have real work I would rather do or spend time with my family/friends.
    b. Cryptic tests/assignments that are completely irrelevant to the subject matters learned like throwing in concepts that were never previously discussed, etc...
More Information:
After graduating high school the cost (financially and time-wise) of the "traditional" approach to a bachelor's degree simply made it unfeasible. As a result, I learned software engineering through the help of some tutors and connections and managed to land a job with one of them.
From a financial perspective, however, I don't necessarily feel comfortable with the status quo as I understand that a degree provides a large safety net as well as a huge potential boost in earnings. So with a bit of research, I found this forum and was impressed with the methodology and thought that I would give it a go. If this turns out to be a successful endeavor, perhaps pursuing a Master's in a related field down the line might be a possibility, but one step at a time.
Well WGU has a Bachelors in software egineering which is nice and so WGU doesn't have too many gen eds or electives. So you'd be be doing all relevant courses. With your APs you'd have a good chunk of gen eds done too.

I think given your situation, age and job a relevant degree makes more sense over jsut a BLS or something generic. It didn't that much longer or more money and would pay off in the long run.

You could probably do a bs software engineering at WGU in under 1 year without too much difficulty especially since have related experience.
[-] The following 2 users Like natshar's post:
  • lynnii2, nicecoolego
Forgot to mention AP Spanish 4, unfortunately the scores have been archived so I can't verify that all of them are correct but it should be something like this give or take a class.

I was thinking about WGU either IT or CS, but saw people mention that the courses were rather difficult and time consuming and didn't know what to think of it. Additionally even if I go with WGU I don't know what pathway would be best given the above goals, and from that pathway, how to optimize it for the above as well.

Thanks for the response!
@nicecoolego, Welcome to the board, that addendum and template with details paints a good overall picture of what you're trying to do... It really depends what you need/want and the energy, money, time, you want to put into it.  There are variables at play, I suggest a combination of options to get you the trifecta, certs, degree, experience, then work on future goals.

Hmm... You can try to maximize your transfer credits to WGU and finish a degree with them and then go for one of the Coursera/Edx Masters programs available afterwards.  Another option instead of WGU is a TESU BACS/BS-CIS combo, since you're starting off, you will only need an extra 5 classes or so to get a double degree, you'll be well versed in Business and CS/CIS.

California has cheap education, since you have no RA, another option is to do the Pierpont BOG AAS emphasis in Info Systems, by using the Coursera $1/first month option to get you some cheap ACE credits and the certs, then Sophia.org to get you up to 90 credits, complete the UMPI BAS with MIS minor.  Again, lastly, you can then apply to a Masters of your choice.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • lynnii2, nicecoolego
(11-21-2023, 05:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @nicecoolego, Welcome to the board, that addendum and template with details paints a good overall picture of what you're trying to do... It really depends what you need/want and the energy, money, time, you want to put into it.  There are variables at play, I suggest a combination of options to get you the trifecta, certs, degree, experience, then work on future goals.

Hmm... You can try to maximize your transfer credits to WGU and finish a degree with them and then go for one of the Coursera/Edx Masters programs available afterwards.  Another option instead of WGU is a TESU BACS/BS-CIS combo, since you're starting off, you will only need an extra 5 classes or so to get a double degree, you'll be well versed in Business and CS/CIS.

California has cheap education, since you have no RA, another option is to do the Pierpont BOG AAS emphasis in Info Systems, by using the Coursera $1/first month option to get you some cheap ACE credits and the certs, then Sophia.org to get you up to 90 credits, complete the UMPI BAS with MIS minor.  Again, lastly, you can then apply to a Masters of your choice.

Thanks for the in depth reply @bjcheung77 I really appreciate it!

With regard to the "trifecta" my main goal is the degree(s), experience isn't a concern since I am currently working and accumulating experience. Certs are cool if they don't come at the expense of an excessive commitment of time, money, or stress. They aren't necessarily a priority at the moment since I can always get specific ones I need later, but then again you never know where they can be useful and what doors they open up so I am open to the idea.

The double degree at TESU sounds interesting the only thing that worries me is the fact that the CS is a BA (same thing for UMPI's BAS), though I don't know whether the difference is substantial enough to matter or not.

Additionally, though I looked into some of these through the wiki, in practice, I don't know what the pros and cons are for each of the three paths. Knowing this would give me insight as to what would most likely be the right fit.
I suggest you go the same route as me based on your technical skills. Follow the Pierpont BOG to UMPI degree plan. It will result in you getting an AAS associate's degree from Pierpont Community College which will open the door to getting into the Bachelor of Applied Science program at UMPI that heavily favors technical credits. You can knock out all of the technical credits between Google or IBM certifications on Coursera, TeeX Cybersecurity certs and some technical Sophia courses. All the technical courses and certs can look good at work for you since you're in a technical field. The UMPI BAS with MIS minor also gives you the benefit of minimizing any courses that aren't terribly related to technical fields once you complete all the GEC courses via Sophia and whatever credits you already have.

Pierpont AAS Degree plan that lines you up for UMPI:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pi...egree_Plan

UMPI BAS Degree Plan:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan
[-] The following 2 users Like nyjosh's post:
  • lynnii2, nicecoolego
(11-21-2023, 08:53 PM)nyjosh Wrote: I suggest you go the same route as me based on your technical skills. Follow the Pierpont BOG to UMPI degree plan. It will result in you getting an AAS associate's degree from Pierpont Community College which will open the door to getting into the Bachelor of Applied Science program at UMPI that heavily favors technical credits. You can knock out all of the technical credits between Google or IBM certifications on Coursera, TeeX Cybersecurity certs and some technical Sophia courses. All the technical courses and certs can look good at work for you since you're in a technical field. The UMPI BAS with MIS minor also gives you the benefit of minimizing any courses that aren't terribly related to technical fields once you complete all the GEC courses via Sophia and whatever credits you already have.

Pierpont AAS Degree plan that lines you up for UMPI:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pi...egree_Plan

UMPI BAS Degree Plan:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

Thanks for the response!
I saw in the linked wiki this path contains a lot of 3rd party certs, so I wanted to ask a few questions.

How long did it take you (@nyjosh) to finish the UMPI BAS and what was the approximate cost?
Did you find the 3rd party certs to be difficult or easy coming from a technical background?
Concerning employment or advancing to a master's degree, to what extent would you say this has helped?
[-] The following 1 user Likes nicecoolego's post:
  • lynnii2
(11-21-2023, 10:43 PM)nicecoolego Wrote: Thanks for the response!
I saw in the linked wiki this path contains a lot of 3rd party certs, so I wanted to ask a few questions.

How long did it take you (@nyjosh) to finish the UMPI BAS and what was the approximate cost?
Did you find the 3rd party certs to be difficult or easy coming from a technical background?
Concerning employment or advancing to a master's degree, to what extent would you say this has helped?

I completed the UMPI BAS in two 8 week sessions at $1,500 per session so $3k.

The 3rd party certs are honestly easy for anyone with a technical background. The wiki has many more than are needed. I did the three google certs plus the 3 TeeX certs below  plus the Sophia technical courses. The google certs I was generally able to do in 1 - 1.5 weeks each. The TeeX in a week or less each.

Employment is exactly why I went this route. Picking up the Pierpont AAS on the way lets you instantly tick the box on a job application that you have a college degree while you finish your BAS. The BAS itself is a real degree from a traditional state university. The diploma is the same one that in person students get so there is literally no difference between your online degree vs. an on-prem degree.

For a Masters, grad schools will see your degree the same as any other degree from University of Maine system. Lots of people have gone on to grad school from UMPI and I know of two that went on to doctorates.

Here are the 3rd party certs I did:

Coursera Google IT Professional Certificate
Coursera Google Data Analytics Certificate
Coursera Google UX Design Certificate
TEEX Cyber Security for Business Professionals CYB301
TEEX Cyber Security for IT Professionals CYB201
TEEX Cyber Security for Everyone CYB 101
Sophia Introduction to Information Tech.
Sophia Introduction to Web Development
Sophia Introduction to Python Programming
ASU Univeral Online Business Technology Fund.
[-] The following 2 users Like nyjosh's post:
  • lynnii2, nicecoolego
Yes, that's the trifecta I mentioned earlier, getting the Coursera/TEEX certs, the UMPI BAS degree with a minor of your choice, and whatever experience that you can bring to the table. If you have this trifecta, you add to that with your academic or professional references and whatever else is needed for any Masters you want to apply to, this will be an ideal or 'more complete' application.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • lynnii2, nicecoolego
(11-21-2023, 05:42 PM)nicecoolego Wrote: ...
The double degree at TESU sounds interesting the only thing that worries me is the fact that the CS is a BA (same thing for UMPI's BAS), though I don't know whether the difference is substantial enough to matter or not.

Additionally, though I looked into some of these through the wiki, in practice, I don't know what the pros and cons are for each of the three paths. Knowing this would give me insight as to what would most likely be the right fit.

I was in the same boat, working as a software engineer and wanting to finally get my degree. I chose not to worry about BA vs BS when I chose TESU's BACS and it has served me fine. I won't tell you that it's impossible that someone won't make a fuss about it, because I saw it happen to someone else once (he got the job anyway), but your experience will speak much more loudly. The only thing my degree really does is get me past the HR gatekeepers at larger employers, and most of them use their online portals which don't even let you input BA or BS, you just pick "Bachelor's degree" from one dropdown menu, and "Computer Science" from another.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • lynnii2, nicecoolego, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Advise/plan Wanted for a Canadian Student nbid 10 506 09-12-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  aiming for acupuncture degree, need help with CBE bachelors plan teadrinker000 16 597 09-01-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Big Grin Speedy and Inexpensive Bachelors ATM925 7 958 08-25-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: ATM925
  Please advise on my next classes for a TESU BSc kt320 2 216 08-19-2024, 08:02 PM
Last Post: kt320
  Next Steps for Bachelors liz0814 8 824 07-12-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Canadian Looking For Bachelors sfilipe 7 558 06-11-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: sfilipe
  Inspired by my kid sister BetterThisYearThanLast 4 415 05-28-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: tdat314
  Engineering/Physics/Applied Science Bachelors NotJoeBiden 7 840 05-18-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  Help creating a degree plan for education bachelors. System360 9 618 05-18-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: allvia
  New Member looking to plan out Bachelors in finance Thelifenfc 8 598 05-13-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77