Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passed Bio CLEP
All - This is my first and only post to this forum, but I wanted to share the news that I passed the Bio CLEP test. I am a mid 30s adult student with a full time job, full time family, and what seems like several balls in the air at one time. I finished every component of my undergrad degree program with the exception of Bio Sciences. In lieu of paying ~$500 per credit to satisfy this, I elected to CLEP out of it. I did the same for Humanities about two years ago.

I scored a 59. While it was lower than I wanted, I found the exam to be extremely diverse and comprehensive. There were many questions that I had to make educated guesses because I had no friggin clue. The approach I did take was provide an answer regardless if I knew the correct one, and keep moving at a decent clip. I also marked the questions I didn't know with hopes that I may see a similar one later in the exam. The thing I kept in mind was to keep moving, you don't get any credit for a skipped question. One thing to be clear - some may consider CLEP a shortcut, but Bio was no joke, and there isn't a shortcut from a study/prep standpoint.

My study materials were the IC flashcards - Don't let the number of questions seem imposing, the test is somewhat imposing and you need to cover the material. The vocabulary and terminology is critical in the major areas - i.e. cells, DNA, replication, etc. I also bought the REA book and read it cover to cover. I would often run through the flashcards and keep the REA book on my lap - I'd look up the answer to the question if I didn't know it - helped me memorize and understand the material better. Don't get caught up on your score on the IC flashcards. Read the answers, just like they suggest.

Finally I listened to the Bio Khan Academy videos - I have some clients that round trip requires 4 hours of car time. The videos were perfect for what otherwise is unproductive time spent. I found the cell videos and plant videos to be most valuable to my learning process. This forum is also a great resource - I anonymously read and took away from other test taker experiences, so I felt obligated to take 10 min to share my experience.

BTW - my pursuit towards degree has been brutal, but I'm officially done. I started in 1999, transferred to University of Phoenix in 2001, finished my degree program in 2004 and left Humanities and Biology to CLEP. That took me 7 years to revisit (my fault on procrastinating) - when I attempted to submit my humanities score to Phoenix, they said thanks but no thanks...we changed your major and you now need to pay for an additional 15 courses. Since then, the aforementioned institution has seen my last nickel and I transferred to a legit, AACSB accredited University. I still had Bio left to do, and the mistake I made last time was leaving it out there for 7 years.

Long story short - if you're a student and think you can save a buck and some time by CLEP, you can, you just need to have the discipline to knock it out.

Peace!
Thanks for posting, we've had a couple of people ask for tips on the Bio CLEP recently and I'm sure your advice will be helpful. Smile Also congrats on finishing up!
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
Congrats great job.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Wonderful news. If you haven't left us yet, please share why you decided to get a degree. Was it for personal satisfaction? For a job/promotion? Enquiring minds want to know.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
@LaterBloomer -

I decided to get a degree for a number of reasons, including personal satisfaction, career reasons, etc. Neither of my parents went to school, and education is something that is important to me. Separate the institutional aspects of higher ed, the cost, etc. I've been in the professional workforce for 15 years and degrees do matter. It's not to say that one can't acquire a certain knowledge set outside of a 4 year college, but what it demonstrates is one's ability to accomplish a long term goal. Plus, I want my kids to receive their degrees once that time comes and want to set an example and help them through the process. I took the road less traveled and had to spend nights and weekends figuring it out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,896 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  Kim did it after 4 tries! <baby bar passed> bjcheung77 9 1,746 04-23-2024, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 694 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,227 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,072 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,841 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Passed the CISSP Exam jamshid666 5 2,078 09-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Passed the CHFI Exam jamshid666 9 1,803 07-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,479 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,400 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az