Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much time is reasonable to respond to an email if you are an instructor?
I am in the final stretch of my Capstone. I will be finished in 7 days. :hurray: I submitted draft 3 of my capstone on July 1. I asked for her to review it and send me changes before the long weekend so I could work on the last draft over this weekend. My instructor has praised the fact that I turn my assignments in on time (frequently ahead of time).

I have not heard from the instructor since July 1. I know it is a holiday week but there was still July 2 and July 3 before the holiday came. I forwarded it to her again on July 1 just in case she didn't get it. I really wanted to be finished with the last draft this weekend but because she won't respond, I am forced to wait until whenever she decides to get back to me.

I think if you are going to be an adjunct professor you should either respond promptly or let your students know if you will be out of town. I understand that there may be computer problems (although generally they don't tolerate these excuses for students) or health issues but if I'm paying over $1,000+ for one class, I expect some sort of feedback.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Yeah, I had a professor who went out of town sometimes and was thus late answering my emails, yet didn't let us know ahead of time he'd be unavailable :willynilly: With TESC, I learned not to expect much in the way of professor communication over the weekend or holidays. When I occasionally got a reply on like a Sunday, I'd be thrilled Wink

Has your prof okayed your previous drafts? If she has and you haven't changed much since then, you could probably call it done. I got to know my Capstone prof and what he liked/expected. By the end of the course I thought of and added a point in my final draft that I hadn't included in previous drafts, and he was totally ok with it. But from his grading and comments in previous weeks, I pretty much figured he'd be fine with that addition.

That's my input, though I'm not sure how your school's Capstone goes, so... Smile
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
We have to turn in four drafts of whatever project we do. She said my second draft was excellent but the third draft is what contains my legal argument and she hasn't seen that yet. I'm doing an appellate brief on a criminal case to my state's supreme court. So, all she has seen so far is the Coversheet, Index, Table of Authorities, Questions Presented, Statement of the Case, Statement of the Grounds for Appellate Review, Statement of the Facts, and the Summary of Argument. She is supposed to be reviewing the crux of my paper which is the Argument, Conclusion, and Certificates. There is potentially a ton of changes she could suggest to the legal argument portion of my paper and if her comments resulted in my needing to do additional legal research, I wanted to have the time to research thoroughly. Now I just have one weekend left. If she was taking the entire week off for the 4th, it would have been nice to know that in advance. I busted my butt trying to get that draft in on Tuesday so she'd have time to review it and provide feedback before the holiday. I know I'm playing my little violin here but Sad.

Ah, I see now. That's hard Sad Hope you get it figured out and have enough time to complete a stellar project!
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
This Capstone is my first TESC course as well and it took my prof 5 weeks to respond to my first email, and when I received a response, it was literally one word. I am beyond frustrated.

Hope you have better luck.
CLEP's and DSST's passed: Fund. of Counseling, Tech Writing, Here's to your Health, Intro to Computers, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit, Human Growth and Devel, Intro to Soc., Crim Just, Law Enforcement, Env. and Humanity, Astronomy.
Completed 2 PLA's through LearningCounts.org.
Completed Capstone at TESC.
See that's the thing. I don't think I'm at the point where I can really complaint. I think COSC's policy is that they have one week from the submission date to give you feedback on assignments. Her one week will be tomorrow. If it had been 5 weeks, I probably would have complained. But, then you have to wonder if the instructor will try to retaliate against you for complaining.

Did you ask a yes or no question and their reply was just yes or no? I would be very annoyed as well. Sometimes I wonder if they realize we are actually paying for these classes and that this isn't some kind of volunteer tutoring.

At my (brick and mortar) college, most professors say they'll respond to e-mails within 48 hours, and most of them are good at responding to questions in a timely fashion. Key word: most. Some take a lot longer than that.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017
I asked my IDS 101 professor a question halfway through the term and she never e-mailed me back. This is a side gig to B&M jobs for a lot of these adjuncts, so we get the short end of the stick which sucks for us because we are paying so much for classes like you said. I think it's incredibly frustrating and rude, especially when you are at the final stretch. I am so grateful that I got the opportunity to finish my degree online, but there really are some kinks that need to be ironed out of e-learning.

I hope yours gets more responsive.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - 
BAAS General Studies
BAAS Organizational Leadership 

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
She responded on Monday with a forward which she apparently sent on July 3 (the same date I asked the question). For some reason I never received her email so she forwarded it to me. I don't know what happened but it all turned out okay. I'm glad I didn't throw a tantrum (except on this board). lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 171 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  Commencement Time Again Charles Fout 1 247 05-09-2024, 07:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 2,897 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Average time to complete a Mechanical Engineering Degree soliloquy 8 11,647 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Why It's Time for Legacy College Admissions to Go LevelUP 0 444 05-09-2023, 09:15 AM
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 592 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
  Which college would be your choice - balancing reputation/perception - cost - time esh 6 837 08-08-2022, 05:26 PM
  Is 60 credits in 6 months reasonable? Vle045 8 2,334 07-04-2021, 10:52 PM
  I am now taking two online college courses with the C-19 extra time at home. Life Long Learning 8 1,796 04-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
Question Taking two science courses @ the same time 2L8 8 4,364 05-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Last Post: ThatBankDude