Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many classes a session?
I am back again. So I did decide on UMPI. I was up in the air for awhile, what a surprise, right LOL Anywho, My goal is to start at the end of Oct. I already filed my fafsa and I have 8 sophia classes done. Not a lot, I know, but I got nothing but time, so I can easily get the rest of them done. I have a list showing what to take (what I did is crossed out) I got this list from one of the many posters on here so thank you! 

Sophia                        UMPI
Accounting > BUS 150 Intro to Financial Accounting
Ancient Greek Philosophers > PHI 1XX Philosophy Elective
Approaches to Studying Religions > ANT 1XX Anthropology Elective
Art History I > ART 211 Art History I
Art History II > ART 212 Art History II
Business Law > BUS 350 Business Law I*
College Algebra > MAT 117 College Algebra
Conflict Resolution > BUS 210 Organizational Communication
Developing Effective Teams > BUS 1XX Business Elective
Environmental Science > ENV 110 Intro to Environmental Science
Foundations of Statistics > MAT 1XX Math Elective
Human Biology > BIO 103 Human Biology
Introduction to Business > BUS 101 Introduction to Business
Introduction to Ethics > PHI 152 Introduction to Ethics
Introduction to Information Technology > COS 103 Intro to Information Tech
Introduction to Psychology > PSY 100 General Psychology
Introduction to Sociology > SOC 100 Introduction to Sociology
Introduction to Statistics > MAT 101 Basic Statistics
Macroeconomics > ECO 1XX Economics elective**
Microeconomics > ECO 207 Macro & Micro Economics**

Principles of Finance > BUS 1XX Business Elective
Project Management > BUS 141 Intro Project Mgmt/MS Projects
The Essentials of Managing Conflict > BUS 1XX Business Elective
U.S. History I > HTY 161 United States History I
U.S. History II > HTY 162 United States History II
Visual Communications >  COM 1XX General Elective

InstantCert                                              
American Government                                

Spanish 1                                                 
Managerial Accounting
Principles of Marketing 

Study.com
Biology 107L Intro to Biology with lab

Now I am going in for supply chain management and I know that is brand new for this year so I am assuming no one has a degree plan for that, But does anyone know what other classes I can take to add to my 90? I will definitely be taking English at UMPI because I had a legit panic attack thinking about it on sophia (or should I do the CLEP one?) Are they any classes on sophia that I should skip? I know that they all transfer but are they all needed? Even if theyre not needed, should I just do them and transfer them anyway? 

Also, realistically how many classes can I take a session? I only work 2 days a week with no other responsibilities (kids, ect...) so I was thinking what if I took an "easy" class and 2 regular (so 3) a session? Do you think that is doable? My goal is to be done within the next 12 months (so July 2022)

I did email a lady from there regarding the self paced program so when she gets back to me I'll find out when I should register.

I'm so sorry for all the questions. I just like to have as much information as possible.  Thank you again for your help (I did try to look online as far as how many to take a session but I couldnt find anything really helpful)
[-] The following 2 users Like TPG's post:
  • akr680, Vle045
I think it is very difficult to predict how quickly one can complete a course. When I worked on my degree there, I was able to finish some courses quickly, while others took a LOT of time. It all depended really on my background knowledge on the subjects, plus motivation. The Science and Literature classes were most difficult for me, probably taking 5x more work than the other subjects, just being a combination of little background knowledge, plus difficulty being motivated to study it.

To get through the program, I tackled the difficult, less interesting classes first, to get them out of the way. That way, I was motivated to finish those courses, so that I could get onto more interesting courses. Once they were out of the way, it was like a reward to spend the rest of the time taking the courses I wanted to.
(07-29-2021, 10:12 PM)Pelican Wrote: I think it is very difficult to predict how quickly one can complete a course. When I worked on my degree there, I was able to finish some courses quickly, while others took a LOT of time. It all depended really on my background knowledge on the subjects, plus motivation. The Science and Literature classes were most difficult for me, probably taking 5x more work than the other subjects, just being a combination of little background knowledge, plus difficulty being motivated to study it.

To get through the program, I tackled the difficult, less interesting classes first, to get them out of the way. That way, I was motivated to finish those courses, so that I could get onto more interesting courses. Once they were out of the way, it was like a reward to spend the rest of the time taking the courses I wanted to.
Thank you for your reply. I understand that it really is based on each person. If I've read correctly, you can only have two active classes at once (like Sophia) but once you complete one, you can start another? Is that correct?
In my opinion, 3 a session is doable. I did that many working 40 hour a week and I am a person that procrastinates lol. Other sessions I did 2 classes only I think.
[-] The following 1 user Likes missbootyfull's post:
  • Pikachu
(07-30-2021, 12:11 AM)missbootyfull Wrote: In my opinion, 3 a session is doable. I did that many working 40 hour a week and I am a person that procrastinates lol. Other sessions I did 2 classes only I think.
Thank you. I am trying to map out my classes and it still seems like I have to take about 14 plus english at umpi. I'm trying to find all the 100/200 classes to take prior but I am stuck on a few. I just really wanna minimize my time. Oh well, I'll do what I gotta. Thanks again for your input Smile
My recommendation is to follow what your currently have listed above and focus on Sophia.org first, after you get all your credits required from them, then work on InstantCertCredit, lastly work on Study.com before you transfer over to UMPI. Here's the thread with the spreadsheet you may want to follow, just change your concentration courses to reflect the correct one: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I would recommend starting with SDC first, actually. Biology 101L replaces one of the more difficult courses at UMPI. If you have to choose between dropping Biology 101L or a couple of Sophia electives due to time constraints, I think it'd be better to drop the Sophia courses.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
According to the Director of YourPace, students complete 3 courses per term on average. Your mileage may vary. Every class is different. There's no way to say how long it will take for a person to complete a course. I finished Eng Comp II in 3 days including the rough draft and final submission. Same with American Government. That doesn't mean others will be able to though. I already had my topic picked out before I took American Government and I had just spent 7 months writing annotated bibliographies at CSU Global so the Final Assessment in Eng Comp II was a breeze for me. I also didn't have to research for my sources as I used the ones I had used for Eng Comp II on Sophia before I withdrew from the class.

I would not apply to UMPI until you've completed as many credits as you can. You have to take a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI and you have to complete a specific number of UL courses at UMPI as well. I would get the GEC and general electives done for sure and some of the business courses. The UL ones I would probably leave to take at UMPI because of that UL req.
(07-30-2021, 12:54 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: My recommendation is to follow what your currently have listed above and focus on Sophia.org first, after you get all your credits required from them, then work on InstantCertCredit, lastly work on Study.com before you transfer over to UMPI.  Here's the thread with the spreadsheet you may want to follow, just change your concentration courses to reflect the correct one:  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222?

Thanks for your reply. I am going to do all sophia for sure. I have it sort of mapped out but I dont know how people find classes that match. Example: I need a class called BUS 325 Financial Management, I seen one on SDC and it was called the same thing but it was only BUS 104. I assume its not the same thing due to the number difference? I think I glanced at this before but I'll give it a better look and compare. I am thinking maybe minoring in Market Information Systems so I do wanna try to do 2 or 3 UL classes before. I will leave 30 UL credits for UMPI, I am aware that is a requirement.

(07-30-2021, 01:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I would recommend starting with SDC first, actually. Biology 101L replaces one of the more difficult courses at UMPI. If you have to choose between dropping Biology 101L or a couple of Sophia electives due to time constraints, I think it'd be better to drop the Sophia courses.

You've replied to me before, so thanks for helping me again. I have a few classes I want to take on SDC that I cant find on SL or IC. I believe I have to take a biology with a lab? I was told to take Biology 107 with lab from SDC which I will be doing. I really hope I can start in October so I'll have to get cracking and get these classes done!

(07-30-2021, 10:39 AM)ss20ts Wrote: According to the Director of YourPace, students complete 3 courses per term on average. Your mileage may vary. Every class is different. There's no way to say how long it will take for a person to complete a course. I finished Eng Comp II in 3 days including the rough draft and final submission. Same with American Government. That doesn't mean others will be able to though. I already had my topic picked out before I took American Government and I had just spent 7 months writing annotated bibliographies at CSU Global so the Final Assessment in Eng Comp II was a breeze for me. I also didn't have to research for my sources as I used the ones I had used for Eng Comp II on Sophia before I withdrew from the class.

I would not apply to UMPI until you've completed as many credits as you can. You have to take a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI and you have to complete a specific number of UL courses at UMPI as well. I would get the GEC and general electives done for sure and some of the business courses. The UL ones I would probably leave to take at UMPI because of that UL req.

Thats what I am hoping: 3 classes. I was told to take American Government from IC. I will be doing that. I do not have the English completed from sophia because that gave me legit panic attack so I will be doing it thru UMPI. 
I definitely want to finish all of my transfer credits before applying. Well, thats my goal. I signed up for sophia on July 10 and I've already done 8 courses. Would have been more but I missed a few days from a migraine and I did waste some time on English before I said heck no. LOL So I should be able to complete the rest of them withing a 2 weeks or so. 
Thanks for your suggestions. They are appreciated
(07-30-2021, 11:33 AM)TPG Wrote: Thanks for your reply. I am going to do all sophia for sure. I have it sort of mapped out but I dont know how people find classes that match. Example: I need a class called BUS 325 Financial Management, I seen one on SDC and it was called the same thing but it was only BUS 104. I assume its not the same thing due to the number difference? I think I glanced at this before but I'll give it a better look and compare. I am thinking maybe minoring in Market Information Systems so I do wanna try to do 2 or 3 UL classes before. I will leave 30 UL credits for UMPI, I am aware that is a requirement.

Thats what I am hoping: 3 classes. I was told to take American Government from IC. I will be doing that. I do not have the English completed from sophia because that gave me legit panic attack so I will be doing it thru UMPI. 
I definitely want to finish all of my transfer credits before applying. Well, thats my goal. I signed up for sophia on July 10 and I've already done 8 courses. Would have been more but I missed a few days from a migraine and I did waste some time on English before I said heck no. LOL So I should be able to complete the rest of them withing a 2 weeks or so. 
Thanks for your suggestions. They are appreciated

You're doing great on Sophia!

Be careful taking UL courses outside of UMPI. You need to take the majority of them at UMPI. You mention Financial Management above.  There is not an equivalent on Study.com. Please don't assume that Study.com courses transfer to UMPI based on their title as most do not. 

Do you mean Management Information Systems as your minor? There's a Marketing concentration in the BABA starting in August. 

Ashkir has made many posts on here about what he completed on Sophia and transferred to UMPI and graduated in 7 months. I've given you the list of what to take on Sophia, InstantCert, and Study.com already. You really have to watch the UL courses because of the requirements. Most have to be taken at UMPI. You'll need UL in the major and out of the major. 

English at UMPI is MUCH faster and easier than Sophia. It's 1 paper at UMPI. Eng Comp 1 has 5 papers and 2 has 6-7 papers on Sophia. The grading on Sophia is also pretty harsh. 

Here's the Study.com transfer equivalencies. 

https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What accounting classes require exams or paper? I have 11 classes left Sarajane 6 300 04-14-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: anthony3070
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 308 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Which BUS Classes would be the quickest tombbraider 4 440 03-11-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 14 1,658 03-04-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  Sophia Classes for BA Psych? CollegeBraveB 2 397 03-01-2024, 09:10 PM
  Failed classes prissy1pris 9 1,120 01-29-2024, 12:40 AM
Last Post: TammaraOligschlaeger
  I've been accepted into the Spring 2 session at UMPI! FM1 10 919 01-28-2024, 11:30 PM
  Fastest UMPI classes since the change to brightspace? CanICode 8 1,385 11-19-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Study vs UMPI BUS Classes klone 4 754 11-14-2023, 06:50 PM
  Sophia UL Classes Accepted at UMPI mohelena02 4 1,009 11-04-2023, 08:32 PM
Last Post: mohelena02