Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long does preparation for one CLEP take?
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and I want to take 2 CLEP's this term while juggling work and classes. I am frankly quite terrible at time management and organization so I know I need to work on that. But is it possible to study for two tests and pass it in a matter of 4 months? I am planning to use them to transfer to a US college (I'm Canadian) in January.

The two tests I am interested in taking are Freshman English Composition and French (Levels 1 and 2).

Will I need any other materials aside from the review guides? Are the tests based on a simple pass/fail marking scheme, and if not, is there any benefit to scoring a high mark on these tests from the point of view of your prospective college?

Thanks so much in advance! Confusedeeya:
It's different for everybody. Many people can take a test after only a week of study, while having a full-time job and families. It takes some people longer than that and a few of the brainiacs on here can do it quicker. Different tests require different study time too. I didn't take freshman comp, but I would think if you already have a foundation there, it wouldn't take much study. French of course could take tons of study or only a little, depending on your background.

As far as study materials go, many people can pass using only InstantCert flashcards and specific exam feedback. Plus maybe some free online sites. This one is good.

Most colleges just give you a pass/fail for cleps and dssts. Unless you college is a rare exception, they don't care what you make as long as you pass. As, you probably already know, language cleps are the only ones that a higher score really benefits you. 50=6 credits and 63=12 credits.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]B.A. in Psychology from TESC in 9 months
My degree plan: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...elp-2.html
pleasance Wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and I want to take 2 CLEP's this term while juggling work and classes. I am frankly quite terrible at time management and organization so I know I need to work on that. But is it possible to study for two tests and pass it in a matter of 4 months? I am planning to use them to transfer to a US college (I'm Canadian) in January.

The two tests I am interested in taking are Freshman English Composition and French (Levels 1 and 2).

Will I need any other materials aside from the review guides? Are the tests based on a simple pass/fail marking scheme, and if not, is there any benefit to scoring a high mark on these tests from the point of view of your prospective college?

Thanks so much in advance! Confusedeeya:

It's impossible to give a time frame to a CLEP exam, considering all the variables. the one you have the most control over is that time management thing...if you can find X amount of time a day, and plug it in, well you're halfway there. I looked at my CLEPs like summer courses; 5-6 weeks of heavy lifting, take it, pass it and be done.
And French would depend heavily on your current knowledge of it. I don't think the languages are something you just study up for and take - it's better if you have some proficiency and sharpen your skills.
[SIZE="2"]graduated
[/SIZE]
I took the first half of the ones in my siggy one a week, the second half I took two weeks for each. I was able to devote almost all of my time to studying, though. I'm in high school & only have a part-time job, so it's not like I have too many huge time-draws Wink
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
I have a full time job, travel for business several times a month, and have 5 kids. I am BUSY.

I haven't done a ton of CLEPS so far, but for the ones that I've needed to study for, what I do is get my youngest two kids in bed by 7:30 and then during the time that my hubby and I watch TV together, I sit there next to him with the laptop open studying until about 10:00pm. (He watches TV and I study. I don't want to sacrifice the time with him and this is a compromise that works for both of us)

For Humanities, I allowed myself two weeks of study as described, but for my next CLEP coming up this Saturday, I'm only allowing one. I'll be doing Substance Abuse. I'm in Medical Software sales and have taken a pharmacy tech course, so much of the material is pretty easy.

As I go along I think that I will try to give myself a week for tests that I have some familiarity with and no more than two-three weeks for subjects I don't know about. If I give myself longer than three weeks, I'll procrastinate and won't do it.

I don't know yet if I'll be successful doing this, but I can tell you that in the past few months I have literally doubled the number of credits I've had, so even if I never pass another test, what I've done so far has worked.

For someone that's busy - there is even more reason to make CLEP/DSST tests work - we truly do not have the time to take a class and I just am so thankful that I found a way to continue going to school without putting my life on hold.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I wanted to take CLEPs, so I did the studying, but then didn't take the test. I think it's better to sign up for it 30 days out and then start studying... it forces you to manage your time. I only ended up studying for about 10 days for the Intro to Psych and passed it. I only used InstantCert flashcards.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Well, I started studying for one of my CLEPs 30 minutes before the test, and another about 14 years before the test. Therefore, it would take you an average of 7 years for each test, give or take a few minutes Smile
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

pleasance Wrote:But is it possible to study for two tests and pass it in a matter of 4 months? I am planning to use them to transfer to a US college (I'm Canadian) in January.

Absolutely. I took three CLEPs a month for months. You can easily make one every two months.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,824 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,711 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 674 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,189 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,049 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 2,064 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Long-term Salaries after Graduation smartdegree 1 795 11-30-2021, 01:41 AM
Last Post: jch
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,823 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Preparation for UExcel Philosophy Leebo 7 2,012 05-25-2021, 04:30 PM
Last Post: triceratops
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,451 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007