Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is a test scored and other newbie questions
I looked at the stickies and cannot find answers to some basic questions.

1. How are tests scored? It sounds like most schools require a 60 or above on most tests, but how is the 60 calculated?

2. How/when do you find out what you scored?

3. About how long does it take before your school receives your score and officially gives you credit? I've seen the answer to this on the CLEP website, but I was curious what your experiences have been.

Sorry for all the questions, but if I can pass a couple tests I CLEP out of my last two electives and get my degree. When I get my degree I get a raise at work, so I'm a little hyped up and impatient.
You receive the score immediately at the end of the test.

It usually takes about two weeks for them to send the score to my college and another two weeks for my college to add it to my transcript. However these times are approximate as I don't think my college is the best at acknowledging receipt of transcripts. It's possible they are reported more quickly.

How they are graded is a bit of a mystery. Somewhere on this forum is a very detailed breakdown of how they think they're graded. Basically of you get a little more than half the questions right you get a passing score that is usually accepted at most colleges. You need to check with the college as to how the course will be transcribed and what their minimum required score is. Try searching via google or other search engine "site:degreeforum.net dsst scoring"

I understand impatient. I have been very happy with the speed that I was able to use instancert and earn college credits by exam. I've earned over 60 credits in the last 13 weeks using 11 DSST/CLEPS as well as 9 other self passed courses. However, I did have 20-30 hours per week to study which helped a lot.
BSU -ABA Certificate Program --In Progress

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014
I completed 63 credits in 15 weeks using this forum!

AAS -Web Design 2003
82.5 BM credits over 10 years old

DSST: 2012 -Geology 58; 2014 -Money and Banking 64, Ethics in America 465, Intro to Computing 474, Business Ethics & Society 453, Human Resource Management 64, Organizational Behavior 68, Management Information Systems 461
CLEP: 2013 -Sociology 58, US History I 65; 2014 Macroeconomics 71, Microeconomics 66, Principles of Management 72, Business Law 67
SAYLOR: 2014 -Principles of Marketing 80%, -Corporate Communication 74%
ALEKS: Introduction to Statistics 76% (23 hours study time over 5 days)
Empire State College PLA of Saylor Small Bus. Man. 4 Upper Level Credits Awarded
Straighterline: ACC I 90.1%, ACC II 82.2%
PennFoster -Strategic Management 93%, Financial Management 97%, Consumer Behavior 94%, Advertising 93%
TECEP using IC flashcards: Public Relations Thought and Practice 78%
TESC PLA 100
For CLEP, the score is on a scale from 20 to 80. In my experience 50 is a more common cutoff for credit, but it's possible for schools to be more strict. No one can really know for certain what percentage of correct questions will equal a 50, because each version of each exam is scaled slightly differently.

But in my experience, it's very easy to cross the passing line on CLEPs. I haven't studied hard for any of them, and I haven't been in danger of failing any.

You'll get the score immediately and then it usually takes several days for the school to get the score.
BS Liberal Arts progress - 105/120
What CLEPs are you looking at taking?

Its important to also add that this forum is a great wealth of information. It has been invaluable in helping me earn credit so quickly. I also like the website free-clep-prep.com. However, this forum has been my primary go-to resource for information, feedback and help along this journey for which I am extremely grateful. The search on the forum doesn't work very well, so using google with the search words I posted previously will help greatly.

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014

AAS -Web Design 2003

DSST: 2012 -Geology 58; 2014 -Money and Banking 64, Ethics in America 465, Intro to Computing 474, Business Ethics & Society 453, Human Resource Management 64, Organizational Behavior 68, Management Information Systems 461
CLEP: 2013 -Sociology 58, US History I 65; 2014 Macroeconomics 71, Microeconomics 66, Principles of Management 72, Business Law 67
Empire State College PLA of Saylor Small Bus. Man. 4 Upper Level Credits Awarded
PennFoster -Strategic Management 93%, Financial Management 97%, Consumer Behavior 94%, Advertising 93%
TESC PLA 100
Many candidates get stuck on wanting to know how the scaled score number corresponds to a percentage. There is no hard-and-fast rule on this. The system is set up to first score the questions that are set to be scored (there are always extra questions that are NOT scored, just to create extra forms of the exams). Each scaled score number corresponds to a set number of correct responses (of the ones that are scored). CLEP has also communicated that a suggested passing score of '50' equates to a C-student's work.

As long as you are taking the IBT version of the exams, you will find out your results at the end of the exam (unless you cancel your score or are taking the College Composition exam).

CLEP Services prints official scores overnight, every night. These are the official scores that candidates have designated to be sent to a specific college/university. They get processed into first-class mail and then depart from CLEP Services (Trenton, NJ) to your school. They ask that you allow 2-3 weeks for your school to receive this official score because they have no control over the postal system. I typically hear that the local universities in our area (SoCal) receive these score reports in about 7-10 days after testing. I always suggest to new testing candidates that they contact their registrar's office and ask if they have an approximate number of days from the receipt of a transcript to posting the credits on the student's account. This varies by school!
zenurez Wrote:What CLEPs are you looking at taking?

Its important to also add that this forum is a great wealth of information. It has been invaluable in helping me earn credit so quickly. I also like the website free-clep-prep.com. However, this forum has been my primary go-to resource for information, feedback and help along this journey for which I am extremely grateful. The search on the forum doesn't work very well, so using google with the search words I posted previously will help greatly.

US History I and II. I confirmed with my advisor that these would do the trick.

US History I looks like it should be easy. I'm checking out the thread here, doing the flash cards, doing the practice exams on FCP, and taking the practice quizzes on historyteacher.net.

US History II appears to be getting a lot less action. I haven't even scrolled down far enough to check out their thread yet. Maybe Marketing would be a better way to go - FCP says that's one of the easiest!
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:Many candidates get stuck on wanting to know how the scaled score number corresponds to a percentage. There is no hard-and-fast rule on this. The system is set up to first score the questions that are set to be scored (there are always extra questions that are NOT scored, just to create extra forms of the exams). Each scaled score number corresponds to a set number of correct responses (of the ones that are scored). CLEP has also communicated that a suggested passing score of '50' equates to a C-student's work.

As long as you are taking the IBT version of the exams, you will find out your results at the end of the exam (unless you cancel your score or are taking the College Composition exam).

CLEP Services prints official scores overnight, every night. These are the official scores that candidates have designated to be sent to a specific college/university. They get processed into first-class mail and then depart from CLEP Services (Trenton, NJ) to your school. They ask that you allow 2-3 weeks for your school to receive this official score because they have no control over the postal system. I typically hear that the local universities in our area (SoCal) receive these score reports in about 7-10 days after testing. I always suggest to new testing candidates that they contact their registrar's office and ask if they have an approximate number of days from the receipt of a transcript to posting the credits on the student's account. This varies by school!

Thank you for this!
US History I was the first CLEP I took Smile I was very afraid I wouldn't be able to pass the exams and even put off trying them for a few years. After taking the first two, my confidence was boosted significantly. I think you would be fine with either Marketing or History II using IC and specific exam feedback.

Squeeealer Wrote:US History I and II. I confirmed with my advisor that these would do the trick.

US History I looks like it should be easy. I'm checking out the thread here, doing the flash cards, doing the practice exams on FCP, and taking the practice quizzes on historyteacher.net.

US History II appears to be getting a lot less action. I haven't even scrolled down far enough to check out their thread yet. Maybe Marketing would be a better way to go - FCP says that's one of the easiest!

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014

AAS -Web Design 2003

TESC PLA 100

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are discussion questions becoming irrelevant with AI?? Vle045 26 1,234 08-19-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Elite colleges are lying about how much test scores mean LevelUP 0 212 06-12-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,517 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Test score rogeryoung 4 472 04-24-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: rogeryoung
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 423 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 504 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 761 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 7,020 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 929 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,717 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123