Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does Peterson grade equate to Clep scores?
Hi All,

New to IC, so perhaps someone can help.

I just got 51 correct out of 80 questions on Analyzing /int Literature from the Peterson practice test. would this equate to a passing grade for TESC?
I also got 81 correct out of 100 for intro to management. I'm not clear if that goes as an 81, or how Peterson's tests compare to CLEP exams.

Thanks anyone who can shed light on this.

Sam
From what I understand, you need 50 to pass, and that should be, quite literally, 50 per cent. But I'm also not 100% on that...

on free-clep-prep.com the creator suggests if you can score around 65%, you should be comfortable taking the test.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
CLEP has a weird formula that is proprietary to CollegeBoard and is more closely guarded than the Coke formula.

From my understanding from reading here and elsewhere, it is a grade on a curve whereby a 50 is considered a "C" level grade for "the average college student who just finished a comparable course". They test students fairly regularly, and they change their scoring mechanisms to adjust. If students suddenly got a lot smarter then presumably their scoring would change to reflect that, and it would then be harder to "pass". I haven't learnt me no statistics yet so that's all I can speculate on.

I don't know if that makes sense at all, and it doesn't really address your question directly. So to address it directly...

Nobody really has a freaking clue. Rolleyes Every score you see is based on real-world experience, but it's not gospel, i.e. there is no direct correlation between any practice test's scoring system and the official CLEP scoring system, and never can be since CollegeBoard adjusts their system anyway.

I was scoring in the low 50s on the REA A&I Lit tests and got a 79/80 on the real deal. Didn't take the Peterson's though.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I got 60 and 61 percent on the Petersons pretests and a 73 on the actual A & I Lit test. So if you do like I did you should be fine on that one.

And...I haven't taken the other one, so I wouldn't know.

Good luck!
Kyle
TESC Liberal Studies BA - 2011
New Charter University MPA - 2012
Georgetown University School of Law - 2016

BA in Liberal Studies - Degree Outline|

Galations 6:9 - "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
The thing I always do is look at the specific exam feedback board (if you're an IC subscriber!) and roughly average the practice score information to the final grade that the person got. There's always outliers, but if you combine all the information together, it'll give you a very, very good idea of where you stand. This method hasn't failed me yet (though, I do wish sometimes there was more data available... a large reason why I always post my practice test and actual test scores in my feedback posts.) Unfortunately, I haven't taken the A&I Lit CLEP yet, so I can't help you there, but I did take the CLEP Principles of Management and scored a 72. My Peterson scores were 85, 90, 89. I think you should be fine, but it is important to note that I thought the CLEP is a good bit harder than the Petersons for that particular exam.

Frankly, the feedback in the specific exam section is almost more valuable to me than the IC flashcards and is certainly worth the 20 bucks a month if one is a serious tester.
~Banta

Graduated 2/17/11: BS in Business, Concentration: General Business from Excelsior College

EXAMS/COURSES TAKEN: UB - Principles of Comm - C | UB - US History II - C | AS - Freshman Comp - C | CLEP Humanities - 70 | CLEP College Math - 66 | CLEP Bio - 70 | CLEP Psych - 74 | CLEP American Gov - 68 | CLEP Social Sciences - 73 | CLEP Microeconomics - 72 | CLEP Macroeconomics - 74 | CLEP Management - 72 | DSST Supervision - 457 | DSST HRM - 70 | DSST OB - 75 | ALEKS College Algebra - 78% | ALEKS Intro to Statistics - 71% | CSU Pueblo 311 MGMT - A | SL Accounting I - A | SL Accounting II - A | DSST Finance - 458 | DSST M&B - 63 | CLEP Intro Business Law - 71 | DSST Business Law II - 79 | CLEP Info Systems - 73 | DSST MIS - 481 | DSST Business Ethics - 458 | DSST Intro to Business - 461 | DSST Environment - 70 | CLEP Marketing - 71 | CLEP A&I - 73 | SL Sociology - 98% | SL Intro to Criminal Justice - 96% | SL Western Civ I - 92% | Excelsior BUS 495 - A

Degree plan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grade 5 Math Question - What's your answer? bjcheung77 4 198 Yesterday, 03:46 PM
Last Post: P226mem
  Why Grade Complaints Are Misunderstood - ‘improvement’ or ‘effort" should included LevelUP 0 211 06-12-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Elite colleges are lying about how much test scores mean LevelUP 0 254 06-12-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,954 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 706 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Grade for credit Mike Williams 14 1,719 01-11-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: davewill
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 871 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  National Trends in Grade Inflation for American Colleges LevelUP 1 661 09-21-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Courcelles
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,257 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,126 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore