Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honor Societies for Non Traditional Students?
(11-02-2017, 05:35 PM)clep3705 Wrote: Here on this forum we don't agree on the value of an associate's degree. I'm one of the people who thinks getting an associate's degree on the way to a bachelor's degree is a good idea.

I don't think anyone actually thinks an Associates is a bad idea, I just think some people don't see the cost of something like TESU's residency waiver as worth the potential value of an AA.

I don't think anyone would advise against the WV BOG AAS degrees, for example, or other cheap paths to an AA/AS.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(11-02-2017, 05:35 PM)clep3705 Wrote: Here on this forum we don't agree on the value of an associate's degree. I'm one of the people who thinks getting an associate's degree on the way to a bachelor's degree is a good idea. Phi Theta Kappa is the national honor society for community colleges. It's legitimate and nationally recognized. It takes 12 hours with a 3.5 GPA to qualify. You don't have to get an associate's degree to qualify for PTK. You just need 12 hours from your community college.

If you use the Texas common application to apply to a public university as a community college transfer student, the application specifically asks if you are a member of Phi Theta Kappa.

I don't think this is true.  I personally think an AA is fine - but I don't think that you should spend a lot of money for one.  I recently advised against someone getting a specific AA at TESU because it was going to be very expensive.  Not worth the money in my opinion, because you could get a similar BA/BS at TESU or elsewhere for less or the same amount.

I also don't think people should pay the residency waiver at TESU for an AA, if they don't have something in writing from TESU that says it will cover the BA/BS as well.  It would really suck to have to pay the residency waiver TWICE because they wouldn't apply the one for the AA to the BA.

Sometimes, an AA is worth it (need it for work reasons, promotion, etc.).  But it's almost never worth it to pay a LOT for an AA.  You can find ways to get an inexpensive AA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • High_Order1
(11-02-2017, 05:35 PM)clep3705 Wrote: Here on this forum we don't agree on the value of an associate's degree. I'm one of the people who thinks getting an associate's degree on the way to a bachelor's degree is a good idea. Phi Theta Kappa is the national honor society for community colleges. It's legitimate and nationally recognized. It takes 12 hours with a 3.5 GPA to qualify. You don't have to get an associate's degree to qualify for PTK. You just need 12 hours from your community college.

If you use the Texas common application to apply to a public university as a community college transfer student, the application specifically asks if you are a member of Phi Theta Kappa.

You are correct that 12 hours from your community college for PTK is easy if they are going to a CC.  I would recommend it if one is.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

PTK of which I'm a recent member has a lot of scholarship money available if you intend to transfer to a B&M college or University.  Excelsior has a scholarship for PTK members, it's not much money, it covers two credits but better than nothing.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
[-] The following 2 users Like EI2HCB's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Toastmaster

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 126 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 216 38,382 08-04-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,339 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  A new program in Colorado recognizes students who didn’t complete their bachelor’s de davewill 4 705 07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Older teacher gets the students! bjcheung77 2 336 06-21-2024, 11:47 PM
Last Post: Ares
  UK students invading US institutions! And more... bjcheung77 1 321 05-20-2024, 09:26 PM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 1,033 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 477 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  How AI threatens to make traditional college degree ‘obsolete’: experts LevelUP 5 1,183 10-20-2023, 07:21 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Grand Canyon Uni: 86K online students, over 960 Million in revenue. bjcheung77 1 643 05-17-2023, 10:00 AM