Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of the US I
Could anyone tell me specifically, what to expect on the US History I clep? Does it mainly focus on dates,people, cases or specific facts in general. I'm really struggling on what to pay attention to. I have the CollegeBoard clep book and and REA book just for History of the US I. It seemed like in the REA book, all the practice questions all were "all occurred EXCEPT" questions which mean you have to know everything to a T. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Lauren
This test was not as fact-based as I had hoped. For instance, you need to know several things about each president so you can eliminate who may have or who may not have made a certain decision and why. Then you can guess from there, if needed. Knowing several facts on each topic is really helpful on this type of test, which is the type of practice you are getting with REA.

You are on the right track. REA is excellent for this exam. I took it in February. Learn as much of the material as you can. If you are doing well on their practice exams, that is a good sign for the actual exam.

I don't remember a lot of dates, but it is helpful to know the order of events, so you can keep things straight in your head. There are 120 questions, so it is broad and they basically ask one question about each topic.

Best wishes on your exam!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I used REA and found it perfect for this exam.

I don't remember much, as it's been awhile... honestly, most of the things coming to mind apply to US History II. Big Grin

I did memorize the order of the Presidents... it helped me a ton in setting context for a question. For example, if a question asked about an event that happened during a certain Presidency, it's easier to figure out the answer if you know approximately the years that President served. That make sense? Smile

Btw, REA tests are great practices, but I generally find they are a lot harder than the real thing. The information covered is usually the same, but don't worry too much about the way the questions are worded.
~Brittany

From 0 to 120 credits in ten months and seven days because of CollegePlus! and InstantCert!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!! Graduation, here I come!

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save." ~Zephaniah 3:17
Thanks for the help. I haven't memorized any order of events or presidencies. I take the clep this Thursday so, hopefully I can get those under control before then. Thanks again!
Are you using IC? That is a good gap-filler. And don't forget the specific exam feedback section. It's so helpful.

Hope it goes well for you! Come back and tell us how it went.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
I took this exam today and passed with a 66. I had 1 week to study for this and Business Law I at the same time. The REA practice tests I took were a LOT like the actual test. I read the REA book first (about 130 pages), loaded the included cd practice tests, did all 3 tests with explanations, and then went over the IC flashcards twice. No problem! :p

Patrick
CLEP's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]A & I Lit-6CH (62), American Gov't (63), Introductory Business Law (64), History of the United States I (66), Introductory Psychology (61), Introductory Sociology (73), American Literature (63), Macroeconomics (58)[/SIZE]

DSST's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to World Religion (464), Astronomy (70)[/SIZE]

Up Next:
[SIZE="1"] Taking a break![/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master of Letters in History dewisant 4 509 06-28-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 3,146 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,269 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  History of Degree Awarding Tomes MichaelGates 2 620 07-06-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Legacy Admissions with Anti-Semitic History Challenged sanantone 2 644 07-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 569 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has anyone taken the ONU Your Way HIS 379 Latin American History and Politics course Insert Name 10 1,630 03-13-2022, 08:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Torah College's A Social History of Jewish Food -- ISO feedback sammeecat 9 2,127 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  Looking For UPPER LEVEL History Courses tls7291 7 1,415 05-04-2021, 11:41 PM
Last Post: tls7291
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,450 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007