Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HES Gen Chem and Physics Online, and January Weeklong Labs
Starting in 2014-15, non-lab, "lecture" sections of these undergraduate credit courses from Harvard Extension School, offered in person "bricks and mortar," are set to be offered online too:

CHEM E-1ax General Chemistry I (Lecture)
CHEM E-1bx General Chemistry II (Lecture)

Physics I (Lecture): Mechanics, Elasticity, Fluids, Diffusion
Physics II (Lecture): Electromagnetism, Circuits, Waves, Optics

As for lab sections, these are not offered online, but will be offered in 4- or 5-day full-time January sessions (subject to enrollment capacity limitations, and note that there's no short-session Gen Chem II lab posted):

CHEM E-1axl General Chemistry I (Lab)
Intensive Laboratory for Physics I and II

Dr. Tucci who teaches the gen chem sequence, and Dr. McCarty who will teaching the HES physics sequence starting this year, also teach in their fields at Harvard College. Both are superlative instructors and course leaders.

For students ready to work hard to high standards, and who are proficient in algebra used in gen chem, and in algebra and trigonometry used in physics, I can think of no better way to study these subjects at these levels, by distance or short-residency, than these courses.
Do you know if the week long residencies satisfy the On Campus requirement...I suspect they will and if so that is very cool indeed!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Do you know if the week long residencies satisfy the On Campus requirement...I suspect they will and if so that is very cool indeed!

My educated guess is that the lab sections would apply towards the On Campus requirement, but this would be limited by the number of credit hours the lab sections represent: the weeklong lab course for Gen Chem I is 1 semester hour, and for Physics I and II together, 2 semester hours. IIRC there's at least one other 2 semester hour January term course, so this could potentially be added to one of these science labs (if and only if the schedules don't overlap) to earn 3 or 4 sh of On Campus credit total in the J-term.
is the CHEM E-1ax General Chemistry I (Lecture) really only $950 ?

General Chemistry I (Lecture) | Harvard Extension School

that is ridiculously cheap

even if you include the lab it's only $1200

I think that's less than most online chemistry courses
bluebooger Wrote:is the CHEM E-1ax General Chemistry I (Lecture) really only $950 ?

General Chemistry I (Lecture) | Harvard Extension School

that is ridiculously cheap

even if you include the lab it's only $1200

I think that's less than most online chemistry courses
That sounds about right, HES Tuition varies a little but generally around $250/credit fro Undergrad work.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
It would be a compelling offer at five times the price (but don't tell them that!). It's a very well-taught and well-managed course.
Jonathan Whatley Wrote:It would be a compelling offer at five times the price (but don't tell them that!). It's a very well-taught and well-managed course.
I haven't seen a HES Course that wasn't life enriching. The level of instruction tends to be rather extraordinary.
AS in EMS August 2010

"they are not intended for premedical students because many medical schools do not accept online courses and these courses do not included a laboratory"
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:"they are not intended for premedical students because many medical schools do not accept online courses and these courses do not included a laboratory"

Although the acceptability of taking a lecture section online but the full labs in person is an interesting question that seems to me to be open.

Of course, there's wide application for these courses besides medical school admissions, including other application in health. My on-campus HES science-course colleagues include people aiming to go on to programs in nursing, physician assistant studies, physical therapy, neuroscience, biotechnology…

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 343 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,720 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,699 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,029 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 30 6,955 08-21-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 545 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 345 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,342 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 743 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  UNED Spanish online university Avidreader 5 765 07-03-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: inor