Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HEADS UP! Transfer Credit Policy Change
Zardoz, you may just want to confirm with TESU by sending them an email or call. Assessment credit IS ACE/NCCRS or Non RA source credit. I highly doubt they will make an exception to their policy when they indicate that already. But you never know, giving them a call/email will answer that.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-19-2020, 02:17 PM)Ideas Wrote: Also the new policy specifies approved providers and Statistics.com is on the provisionally approved providers list (with Sophia, etc). Therefore, I think it's going to be part of the 90 credits. https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/p...-directory

(12-19-2020, 02:00 PM)Zardoz Wrote: Specifically, the CLEPs that TESU recognizes as TESU assessment credit seem like they might be exceptions.

Oh, I see. That would be helpful!

Indeed. 

My game plan is currently to go for 4 Westcott courses - Calc I, II, III and Linear Algebra - for a total of 16 RA credits from Brandman. Not super cheap, but given that there is no way around collecting RA credits, I might as well take them in something that benefits a data science degree.

Now if CLEP Humanities and CLEP English Literature are counted as native TESU credits - and hence count towards the 30 RA credit requirement- then I would harvest those for another 12 RA credits, which would put me at a total of 28. 

Then, with SOS-110, I would satisfy the rest of the RA requirement, and it would be fine for the statistics.com courses to count towards the 90 non-collegiate credits.

(12-19-2020, 02:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Assessment credit IS ACE/NCCRS or Non RA source credit.

I see.... in that case, I'd have to go with TECEPs, UExcels and TEL Learning to fill in the 12 credit gap in my plan.
(12-19-2020, 02:48 PM)Zardoz Wrote: My game plan is currently to go for 4 Westcott courses - Calc I, II, III and Linear Algebra - for a total of 16 RA credits from Brandman. Not super cheap, but given that there is no way around collecting RA credits, I might as well take them in something that benefits a data science degree.

I THINK (not 100% here) that TESU does not bring the Westcott/Brandman Calc I, II & III courses in as you would want, so you need to check before doing them.

West Texas A&M has Calc I, II & III available (self-paced) for $699/course.  https://www.wtamu.edu/academics/extended...index.html

For those prices, I'd check some CC's and other schools.

NMJC has them for $70/cr, not sure if they have online options for them though (the course schedule isn't working right now).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu
When you contact TESU, do not mention Westcott at all. I think that may be the source of some of the confusion. Find out what the courses are transcripted as at Brandman and contact TESU about THOSE courses. I know at least a couple of people here have contacted TESU and asked about Westcott and TESU has denied that those courses will be accepted. Well, of course, because Westcott isn't ACE and it's not a university itself.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-19-2020, 03:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 02:48 PM)Zardoz Wrote: My game plan is currently to go for 4 Westcott courses - Calc I, II, III and Linear Algebra - for a total of 16 RA credits from Brandman. Not super cheap, but given that there is no way around collecting RA credits, I might as well take them in something that benefits a data science degree.

I THINK (not 100% here) that TESU does not bring the Westcott/Brandman Calc I, II & III courses in as you would want, so you need to check before doing them.

West Texas A&M has Calc I, II & III available (self-paced) for $699/course.  https://www.wtamu.edu/academics/extended...index.html

Good points, and I will check out alternate options. 

However, given that Calc I, II, III and Linear Algebra aren't degree requirements for the TESU BS Data Science, I don't really care exactly how they bring them in as long as all 16 credits come in. I'm totally fine with them being applied to gen ed electives or to free electives.
(12-19-2020, 03:54 PM)rachel83az Wrote: When you contact TESU, do not mention Westcott at all. I think that may be the source of some of the confusion. Find out what the courses are transcripted as at Brandman and contact TESU about THOSE courses. I know at least a couple of people here have contacted TESU and asked about Westcott and TESU has denied that those courses will be accepted. Well, of course, because Westcott isn't ACE and it's not a university itself.

Yes, I'm not certain what people are doing (like, do NOT talk to TESU about TEL, talk to them about RA credits from one of their partner schools only); but I seem to recall that they won't bring Calc II in as Calc II.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-19-2020, 02:48 PM)Zardoz Wrote: Indeed. 

My game plan is currently to go for 4 Westcott courses - Calc I, II, III and Linear Algebra - for a total of 16 RA credits from Brandman. Not super cheap, but given that there is no way around collecting RA credits, I might as well take them in something that benefits a data science degree.

Now if CLEP Humanities and CLEP English Literature are counted as native TESU credits - and hence count towards the 30 RA credit requirement- then I would harvest those for another 12 RA credits, which would put me at a total of 28. 

Then, with SOS-110, I would satisfy the rest of the RA requirement, and it would be fine for the statistics.com courses to count towards the 90 non-collegiate credits.

Doing Calc I and II there seems like a waste of money.

I'd load up on the 6 credit CLEPs if they count.

(12-19-2020, 04:24 PM)Ideas Wrote:

[...]

It's true that I could do 6 credits worth of Calc I + II at StraighterLine for probably half the price of Brandman. But then those would come in as ACE and I would have to find 6 RA credits on TEL or as TECEP, UExcel to make up for them. So in the end, it's a little bit cheaper to mix and match, but it's not a game changer.

Not to push this discussion too far off topic, but I figure one way or the other, I am going to need advanced calc and linear algebra, because that will do more than anything else to increase my options and chances for grad programs.
(12-19-2020, 04:24 PM)Ideas Wrote:

I'd load up on the 6 credit CLEPs if they count.

I agree.  Pricy for what you get.

Plus most Data Science Degrees don't require those courses.  Maybe Calc I, a few Calc II.  But I'd take those somewhere much cheaper (at the very least Calc I - you could do a CC, or you can do EA/ASU or Outlier for $400).
Very sudden change indeed.

1) Does anyone know if people with Foreign Credits be affected?

I'm planning to do a double BA(CS and Math):
- 44.25 Foreign credits for CS
- 49.5 Foreign credits for Math

2) Or can I just push through with my Study.com, Straightliner and Coppersmith credits I've planned for as long as it is under 90 credits?
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credly and Non ACE Certs > TESU credit? mbcummings 9 481 10-12-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Find out how RA credit transfers to TESU natshar 40 46,270 08-20-2024, 11:35 AM
  TESU Wording Newly Friendly to DOED-Recognized Institutionally Accredited Credit Jonathan Whatley 5 606 07-22-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: jch
  Canadian interested in BA CS, little confused about RA and ACE providers and transfer ArboristFlames 7 482 07-21-2024, 10:56 AM
  BA in mathematics and possible credits transfer hsufeng 3 402 07-08-2024, 10:30 AM
  TESU Transfer Policy - Explained bjcheung77 44 9,539 06-20-2024, 04:05 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  BS CIS catalog change homeschoolmom1 5 633 05-26-2024, 10:53 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 7 923 04-25-2024, 10:16 AM
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 432 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 642 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill