Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guidance on moving forward
Hi,

This is my first thread. I lurk here from time to time, but I'm needing extra guidance as of now.

I've completed 18 Sophia credits so far by following the road map Ashkir made back in 2021 for Business Admin Management & Leadership Concentration Bachelor of Arts at UMPI. Right now I've just done Art History I, Environmental Science, Intro to Ethics, Intro to Business, Intro to Information Technology, and U.S. History I.

But I'm thinking of switching to going after a BABA Project Management and Information Systems at UMPI. I'm more interested in that degree than BA Business Admin.

I'm looking at doing the UMPI BABA Project Management from Scratch plan that Kylan11 made a spreadsheet for. But I know he mentioned the plan is unfinished. 

But it seems like all the credits I have targeted for Business Admin would all be accepted for the PM&IS degree too. 

On a side note, is UMPI even worth it anymore? I heard the cost of attending UMPI has increased, with the undergraduate cost rising from $1,400 to $1,500, and then to $1,700 for an 8-week term as of Fall 2024. 
  • A negative change for business degree students is that it will be harder to get down to just 10 UMPI courses using transfer credits from elsewhere, due to changes in the business degree requirements.
  • UMPI's business degree now requires at least 12 classes from UMPI, with the major area having 57 credit hours and the concentration having 12 credit hours, totaling 69 credits, which is an increase from the previous 60-61 credits.
  • The additional six credits are courses that students must take at UMPI, making the degree less "hackable"

About me switching to BABA PM&IS at UMPI- what do you all think about this idea? Any other viable options other than UMPI?

My main worry is that I get denied for UMPI after I complete all these credits on Sophia and on other platforms. Given UMPI's recent changes, what are the chances of being accepted after completing credits through these learning platforms? Are there prerequisites or admission criteria I should be aware of?

Would it be beneficial to contact UMPI's admissions or academic advisors directly to discuss my situation? 

My apologies if I'm all over the place with all the questions. I'm just having a hard time weighing everything and need some other perspectives.

If anyone can please give me some guidance I'd really appreciate it.
(10-07-2024, 06:49 PM)jonho Wrote: Hi,

This is my first thread. I lurk here from time to time, but I'm needing extra guidance as of now.

I've completed 18 Sophia credits so far by following the road map Ashkir made back in 2021 for Business Admin Management & Leadership Concentration Bachelor of Arts at UMPI. Right now I've just done Art History I, Environmental Science, Intro to Ethics, Intro to Business, Intro to Information Technology, and U.S. History I.

But I'm thinking of switching to going after a BABA Project Management and Information Systems at UMPI. I'm more interested in that degree than BA Business Admin.

I'm looking at doing the UMPI BABA Project Management from Scratch plan that Kylan11 made a spreadsheet for. But I know he mentioned the plan is unfinished. 

But it seems like all the credits I have targeted for Business Admin would all be accepted for the PM&IS degree too. 

On a side note, is UMPI even worth it anymore? I heard the cost of attending UMPI has increased, with the undergraduate cost rising from $1,400 to $1,500, and then to $1,700 for an 8-week term as of Fall 2024. 
  • A negative change for business degree students is that it will be harder to get down to just 10 UMPI courses using transfer credits from elsewhere, due to changes in the business degree requirements.
  • UMPI's business degree now requires at least 12 classes from UMPI, with the major area having 57 credit hours and the concentration having 12 credit hours, totaling 69 credits, which is an increase from the previous 60-61 credits.
  • The additional six credits are courses that students must take at UMPI, making the degree less "hackable"

About me switching to BABA PM&IS at UMPI- what do you all think about this idea? Any other viable options other than UMPI?

My main worry is that I get denied for UMPI after I complete all these credits on Sophia and on other platforms. Given UMPI's recent changes, what are the chances of being accepted after completing credits through these learning platforms? Are there prerequisites or admission criteria I should be aware of?

Would it be beneficial to contact UMPI's admissions or academic advisors directly to discuss my situation? 

My apologies if I'm all over the place with all the questions. I'm just having a hard time weighing everything and need some other perspectives.

LOL

You can easily do UMPI in one term with Sophia/SDC and it's under 2k. Worst case, 2 terms. Do you have any idea how much an AVERAGE 4 year degree is? And you seriously have to ask if UMPI is worth it for being under 2k? Oh noooooo they made it slightly more difficult. The horror....

Why would you get denied? They almost have a 100% acceptance rate if you meet the minimum criteria...

Really? These questions are borderline ridiculous. No there are no other viable options that will basically give you a 4 year degree for pennies.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-co...nfographic
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-07-2024, 06:55 PM)Duneranger Wrote:

LOL

You can easily do UMPI in one term with Sophia/SDC and it's under 2k. Worst case, 2 terms. Do you have any idea how much an AVERAGE 4 year degree is? And you seriously have to ask if UMPI is worth it for being under 2k? Oh noooooo they made it slightly more difficult. The horror....

Why would you get denied? They almost have a 100% acceptance rate if you meet the minimum criteria...

Really? These questions are borderline ridiculous.

You're right. I'm not great at weighing options and I think I'm having a case of paralysis analyzing everything too much. Forgive me for all the dumb questions, I'm new to all this.
(10-07-2024, 07:00 PM)jonho Wrote:

LOL

You're right. I'm not great at weighing options and I think I'm having a case of paralysis analyzing everything too much. Forgive me for all the dumb questions, I'm new to all this.

I am not saying you are dumb, but do the math is all. My first BA was 125k 10 years ago. Check out the link I posted and step back and think about how cheap/easy UMPI seriously is...

I see a lot of complaints about UMPI being 200-300 dollars more expensive and it makes my jaw drop every time (especially considering inflation...everything will rise...even dirt cheap degrees). I think people on here lose perspective.
(10-07-2024, 07:04 PM)Duneranger Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 07:00 PM)jonho Wrote:

LOL

I am not saying you are dumb, but do the math is all. My first BA was 125k 10 years ago. Check out the link I posted and step back and think about how cheap/easy UMPI seriously is...

I see a lot of complaints about UMPI being 200-300 dollars more expensive and it makes my jaw drop every time (especially considering inflation...everything will rise...even dirt cheap degrees). I think people on here lose perspective.
My head hurts just thinking about 125k that's absolutely mindblowing. Thanks for putting things into perspective for me. I've been watching so many degree hacking vids that I'm forgetting how much people actually pay for college lol
$125K? Good lord that was an expensive degree.
@jonho, Welcome to the board, great intro post with some details, you should fill us in with more details so readers can't get a better overview of your scenario. My suggestion thus far is to continue getting credits, up to or over 90+ credits with Sophia.org and other ACE providers, and take your time reviewing the degree plans on the WIKI. Please fill in the addendum and template by updating us with the info asked for here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plans moving forward tdat314 4 441 08-22-2024, 05:35 PM
Last Post: allvia
  First post, political science class guidance needed Daniel14 6 504 03-23-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: wildebeest
  My Decisions Moving Forward thomasdebia 11 1,479 09-21-2023, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Federicojavier
  B.A. Project Management Your Pace Guidance Radcon7 23 3,291 04-17-2023, 02:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Guidance Requested: Is this right for me? topsecretowl 23 2,371 01-17-2023, 08:39 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Guidance on future UMPI classes, please help galileom 4 877 01-14-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: galileom