Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guidance for Newbie
Hey everyone, this is my first day on this site and I'm super encouraged to seek out a college education. I'm currently sitting on ZERO credits and need to build up my Gen Eds. 

I'm thinking a degree in Business Administration is what I'll work towards. I was advised to take College Algebra on ALEKS before their ACE accreditation expires. Which other courses should I prioritize right now, that will also count towards a business administration degree? Thanks in advance.  Big Grin
Statistics, which can also be done through ALEKS.

Do you think you will do General Management? It is the most flexible concentration.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • katelynn
Start with anything that has a deadline - like ALEKS, then knock out the free courses, especially the ethics course because it's required for any TESU degree. Apply for the study.com Guardian scholarship now because that is six courses for free. Also, if you want to do CLEP exams, I believe Modern States is still giving out vouchers for free exams if you take their courses. Basically, I would try to do anything I can for free, or cheap. Once you've finished all that up, check around for SL coupons if you want to use them as a course provider. Most importantly, keep checking the forum. Things change, sometimes overnight. You'll get the most updates on what to take and when, if you check the forums frequently. Even little things, like comparing courses between different providers can help.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • katelynn
If you haven't read the Beginner's Guide, that's a good place to start. Reading this forum at least an hour a day for several weeks is good too.  Read every new post, and any that interest you, read all the way from the beginning.  That will help you to understand what's going on here.

Finally, you need to figure out the way that you learn best.  ALEKS can be good, if you are good at math, or a visual learner - but really slow if you aren't.  SL is also good for visual learners, and they have open-book final exams.  I found them quite tedious, but everyone is different.  Study.com and Sophia are good if you like video-based learning.  Study.com has a lot of quizzes, but I find the learning style there works for me personally (although I don't do the videos, I have gotten used to the small pieces of info that I can digest to be helpful in my old age!  Tongue  ).

There are a lot of choices, lots of courses in the $100/course price, lots of free courses, lots of tests, lots of everything - it all just depends on what works for you in terms of learning style, price that you want to pay, speed at which you learn, distance to a testing center, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • katelynn
(05-02-2018, 12:56 AM)rlw74 Wrote: Also, if you want to do CLEP exams, I believe Modern States is still giving out vouchers for free exams if you take their courses.

They are still giving out vouchers. I just took Introductory Sociology yesterday on their dime.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • katelynn
(05-02-2018, 07:21 AM)quigongene Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 12:56 AM)rlw74 Wrote: Also, if you want to do CLEP exams, I believe Modern States is still giving out vouchers for free exams if you take their courses.

They are still giving out vouchers. I just took Introductory Sociology yesterday on their dime.

Do you know if that will satisfy the diversity requirement at tesu?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Yes, Sociology will fulfill diversity.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(05-01-2018, 09:27 PM)Ideas Wrote: Statistics, which can also be done through ALEKS.

Do you think you will do General Management? It is the most flexible concentration.

I'm a bit confused on the business concentrations, honestly. I've always heard of a degree in business administration, although now I'm reading a lot about general management. I think either one will benefit me, so I'm not picky. My goal is to get a bachelor's in business, and then possibly an associate's in counseling sometime later down the line. 

I'm not 21 yet, so I can't get into TESU right now unless I can convince them otherwise. In the meantime, my main focus is earning as many Gen Ed credits along with those that will satisfy business degree requirements.
All the BSBA degrees are Business Administration degrees. The General Management (GM) is the most flexible as it is the least focused concentration - it gives you the most test-out, low-cost course options in a broader range of topics than the others. In example, if you wanted to be an accountant then you'd want to get your BSBA (Business Administration degree) in Accounting.  You can see TESU lists of concentrations here: https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba.  Since you're not 21 yet you won't have to worry about that yet, focus on all the Gen Eds and Core credits - they apply to all the concentrations (AOS), and in the process you may find a topic area that interests you more than another.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • katelynn, Muldoon
(05-02-2018, 02:21 PM)allvia Wrote: All the BSBA degrees are Business Administration degrees. The General Management (GM) is the most flexible as it is the least focused concentration - it gives you the most test-out, low-cost course options in a broader range of topics than the others. In example, if you wanted to be an accountant then you'd want to get your BSBA (Business Administration degree) in Accounting.  You can see TESU lists of concentrations here: https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba.  Since you're not 21 yet you won't have to worry about that yet, focus on all the Gen Eds and Core credits - they apply to all the concentrations (AOS), and in the process you may find a topic area that interests you more than another.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Education Department to review guidance allowing revenue-share agreements with OPMs LevelUP 0 452 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Another Newbie Question Hawaii5oh 4 1,250 01-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New, looking for guidance, no credits BinaS 3 1,067 01-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Brand new and looking for guidance Shawnnichole 5 1,686 01-04-2020, 05:17 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Typically newbie: Heres my transcript! What should I do? zebra cow 30 4,070 12-13-2019, 11:44 PM
Last Post: zebra cow
  Degree Plan Guidance Dlutrick 0 782 10-10-2019, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Dlutrick
  BALS/BSLS Plan Help for a Newbie? HMohamed12 9 2,155 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Tlm
  Fast BACS pre-plan degree or guidance help haxhaxhax 15 3,004 09-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree path guidance for new dad Tarka 27 4,483 05-29-2019, 11:10 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Questions from a Newbie Wildandcrazykids 3 1,654 03-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun