Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading delays
Exclamation 
Hey guys, I want to make sure that people are aware of the ridiculous grading delays at UMPI right now. My fiancé is currently working on his BABA, and the longest wait he’s experienced so far is 12 days (and counting) for a Final Draft. He emailed the professor, who claimed she would be grading it soon (?)… still nothing. Even worse, he is currently waiting for milestones to be graded in two classes and it has been 6 and 7 days. Jessica refused to unlock another course until he submits his Final Drafts, which he obviously can’t until the milestones are graded.

I know he’s not the only one experiencing these delays. I’m really starting to wonder if they are trying to slow people down on purpose. 

Just wanted to give a heads up so prospective students know what they are getting themselves into. I still think it is possible to complete 10-12 courses in a single term right now, as long as you’re being strategic and have a lot of time/flexibility in when to complete coursework. You certainly can’t count on always having something to do over the weekend.

Angry
MS Software Development - Maryville University of St. Louis (2021) - GPA: 4.0  Heart
BS Psychology - Excelsior University (2019) - GPA: 3.75

...returned to help fiancé obtain his BABA in PM & MIS at UMPI (in progress)  Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like impasta's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
(09-12-2023, 07:48 PM)impasta Wrote: Hey guys, I want to make sure that people are aware of the ridiculous grading delays at UMPI right now. My fiancé is currently working on his BABA, and the longest wait he’s experienced so far is 12 days (and counting) for a Final Draft. He emailed the professor, who claimed she would be grading it soon (?)… still nothing. Even worse, he is currently waiting for milestones to be graded in two classes and it has been 6 and 7 days. Jessica refused to unlock another course until he submits his Final Drafts, which he obviously can’t until the milestones are graded.

I know he’s not the only one experiencing these delays. I’m really starting to wonder if they are trying to slow people down on purpose. 

Just wanted to give a heads up so prospective students know what they are getting themselves into. I still think it is possible to complete 10-12 courses in a single term right now, as long as you’re being strategic and have a lot of time/flexibility in when to complete coursework. You certainly can’t count on always having something to do over the weekend.

Angry

I gotta be honest with you, and I've mentioned this in other posts, I don't think it's possible to do 10 courses in a term any longer. The switch to Brightspace has just changed a lot of things. 

Classes seem to be a little more involved and seem to take a little longer.

I'm not sure why there seems to be hesitation for people in this forum to say it, but I'll say it. Smile

I don't think it's a horrible thing, and this is still way faster and more convenient that B&M schools, but guys, UMPI has changed the way they do things. 

The switch to Brightspace has made classes and timelines a bit more challenging and as with all things, old info in this forum may not be entirely accurate any longer.

I feel that we'll still see the outlier students make some amazing progress, but probably not as quickly as the pre-brightspace times. And I don't feel it's just growing pains or getting used to a new system. Sure, SOME delays are a result of that, but I think the longer timelines/more complexity is gonna be the new normal moving forward.

Still loving my UMPI experience, the school, the idea, and the process tho!
Goal 1: University of Maine at Presque Isle | B.A., Business Admin - Marketing (in progress)
Goal 2: Brigham Young University - Pathway Worldwide | Web Development Cert (in progress)
Goal 3: Brigham Young University - Idaho | B.S., Software Development

Completed:
Pierpont Community and Technical College | A.A.S., BoG - Business Emphasis (2023)
Carrington College | Professional Diploma, Graphic Design
[-] The following 4 users Like tsgreer's post:
  • Duneranger, origamishuttle, Pikachu, ss20ts
(09-12-2023, 08:34 PM)tsgreer Wrote:
(09-12-2023, 07:48 PM)impasta Wrote: Hey guys, I want to make sure that people are aware of the ridiculous grading delays at UMPI right now. My fiancé is currently working on his BABA, and the longest wait he’s experienced so far is 12 days (and counting) for a Final Draft. He emailed the professor, who claimed she would be grading it soon (?)… still nothing. Even worse, he is currently waiting for milestones to be graded in two classes and it has been 6 and 7 days. Jessica refused to unlock another course until he submits his Final Drafts, which he obviously can’t until the milestones are graded.

Angry

I gotta be honest with you, and I've mentioned this in other posts, I don't think it's possible to do 10 courses in a term any longer. The switch to Brightspace has just changed a lot of things. 

I'm not sure why there seems to be hesitation for people in this forum to say it, but I'll say it. Smile

I don't think it's a horrible thing, and this is still way faster and more convenient that B&M schools, but guys, UMPI has changed the way they do things. 

The switch to Brightspace has made classes and timelines a bit more challenging and as with all things, old info in this forum may not be entirely accurate any longer.

I feel that we'll still see the outlier students make some amazing progress, but probably not as quickly as the pre-brightspace times. And I don't feel it's just growing pains or getting used to a new system. Sure, SOME delays are a result of that, but I think the longer timelines/more complexity is gonna be the new normal moving forward.

Well, it's certainly still possible to do 10 courses in this current term. Once my fiancé gets to submit his finals in those two courses, he only has two more courses left to complete, and there's still (I believe) 38 days left in this term. He also works a full-time job. According to him, none of the coursework is exceedingly difficult; the main problem is the grading delay caused by several professors.

That being said, I'm sure completing 10 courses is going to become more and more difficult in the near future. The coursework itself has little to do with that though...
MS Software Development - Maryville University of St. Louis (2021) - GPA: 4.0  Heart

...returned to help fiancé obtain his BABA in PM & MIS at UMPI (in progress)  Big Grin
(09-12-2023, 09:15 PM)impasta Wrote:

Angry

Well, it's certainly still possible to do 10 courses in this current term. Once my fiancé gets to submit his finals in those two courses, he only has two more courses left to complete, and there's still (I believe) 38 days left in this term. He also works a full-time job. According to him, none of the coursework is exceedingly difficult; the main problem is the grading delay caused by several professors.

That being said, I'm sure completing 10 courses is going to become more and more difficult in the near future. The coursework itself has little to do with that though...
For sure frustrating, but two 8 week terms isn't the end of the world. My first BS took 4.5 years with trad classes...shrinking that down to 4 months is a massive difference.

Maybe the staff and admin are having a hard time juggling in-person and YP students. Its an insanely small school and word has spread...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • ss20ts
(09-12-2023, 10:06 PM)Duneranger Wrote:

Angry

For sure frustrating, but two 8 week terms isn't the end of the world. My first BS took 4.5 years with trad classes...shrinking that down to 4 months is a massive difference.

Maybe the staff and admin are having a hard time juggling in-person and YP students. Its an insanely small school and word has spread...

Sure, except paying $3,000 is a lot more than $1,500. Students are paying for the ability to proceed at their own pace. Professors are supposed to grade within 72hrs. There's no excuse for this incompetence.

(09-13-2023, 08:04 AM)impasta Wrote:
(09-12-2023, 10:06 PM)Duneranger Wrote:

Angry

Sure, except paying $3,000 is a lot more than $1,500. Students are paying for the ability to proceed at their own pace. Professors are supposed to grade within 72hrs. There's no excuse for this incompetence.

Sure and if it is too much for them to realistically balance, they should put caps on enrollment each term for certain majors. I am trying to see it from a balanced perspective. I highly doubt there is a conspiracy to hold students up as other majors in yourpace don't have this issue. It seems to be mainly a business degree concern, which is probably the major with the highest enrollment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • tsgreer
I feel like we should get accommodations for being dummy’s for their introduction to bright space. Like cheaper tuition next semester, anything at this point lol

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(09-13-2023, 10:14 PM)bvndz Wrote: I feel like we should get accommodations for being dummy’s for their introduction to bright space. Like cheaper tuition next semester, anything at this point lol

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Any cheaper and it might as well be free lol
I completed a degree on the old platform in (2) sessions. Currently, I'm completing another degree on the Brightspace platform. It is different, but not that much 'harder'. I am simply planning on completing this degree in 2 sessions (5 classes/session). This is towards the end of week 3 and I am on my 3rd class.

Anyone who thinks this is hard or unreasonable needs a reality check. This is EXCELLENT value. Basically, a degree that costs $3,000. That is almost unbeatable.
[-] The following 4 users Like anthony3070's post:
  • allvia, Pikachu, RoliJoli, ss20ts
I agree that it's a bit unreasonable to expect students to wait 10+ days for grading or for milestones to be affirmed when grading/affirmation is supposed to be within 72 hours. If they've changed the 72 hour aspect, they should inform students.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • impasta, indigoshuffle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How is grading done at umpi? Sarajane 2 659 05-18-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Milestone Grading Infinite-Telephone52 18 1,716 05-12-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Alim83
  Bus 415 Grading, Questions Sara143 20 2,247 03-17-2023, 08:50 AM
Last Post: kidneysmasher
  How does grading actually work? Lingo55 6 1,190 08-01-2022, 10:35 AM