Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Georgia terminates programs
I hope that yours isn't one of them
Board of Regents terminates 215 degrees at Georgia colleges, universities (fox5atlanta.com)
These programs were deactivated 2 or more years ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jsd
(09-18-2022, 12:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: These programs were deactivated 2 or more years ago.

Yes, as the article stated, some of the programs had been deactivated several years ago.  Apparently this is not the same thing as being terminated.  Now the deactivated programs, along with some others, have been terminated.  Many people were hoping that some of the deactivated programs would be re-activated.  Instead, the Board terminated them all, plus some other degree and cert programs.  I don't think that people thought it would go this far.
Athena, GA newspaper includes a document with the list of terminated degrees (scroll to page 25).  https://www.onlineathens.com/story/news/...369732002/

I picked a few degree programs at random and went to the various universities websites. Many of these degrees seem to have been replaced with substantially similar degrees with different titles (such as BS in Education in history being replaced with a BS is Secondary Education with concentration in history) or where some academic creep has happened (master giving way to doctorate). No doubt some programs have well and truly been eliminated, but it doesn’t seem like it’s anywhere near 215.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(09-18-2022, 09:49 PM)freeloader Wrote: Athena, GA newspaper includes a document with the list of terminated degrees (scroll to page 25).  https://www.onlineathens.com/story/news/...369732002/

I picked a few degree programs at random and went to the various universities websites. Many of these degrees seem to have been replaced with substantially similar degrees with different titles (such as BS in Education in history being replaced with a BS is Secondary Education with concentration in history) or where some academic creep has happened (master giving way to doctorate). No doubt some programs have well and truly been eliminated, but it doesn’t seem like it’s anywhere near 215.

The initial link in the open post has a list of each degree and certificate terminated. The list is by school. I was guessing that many of the degrees were replaced because Augusta University has a large medical program and ending their nursing degrees didn't make much sense. I'm family with this university as I once lived near it.
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that they got rid of them because they did not have enough enrollees; or they were replaced by something similar.

Like, Spanish - if 3 schools are offering a degree in Spanish, but there aren't enough enrollees in any single school, it makes much more sense to have 2 schools get rid of it, and then create a more robust program at the 3rd school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-20-2022, 05:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that they got rid of them because they did not have enough enrollees; or they were replaced by something similar.

Like, Spanish - if 3 schools are offering a degree in Spanish, but there aren't enough enrollees in any single school, it makes much more sense to have 2 schools get rid of it, and then create a more robust program at the 3rd school.

I'm guessing that you're exactly right.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “How Predatory Master’s Programs Get Away With It” Jonathan Whatley 7 368 Yesterday, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Dr. Doom
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,596 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  SARA Source - catalog of distance education programs stats-time 3 414 08-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: wow
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 970 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  First AI supercomputer for Georgia Tech student. Imbanewbie 3 500 04-22-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Gaince
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 1,675 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Georgia Southern University TINASAM 11 1,728 01-26-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: KaraStarbuck
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 442 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Mexican Bachelor of Engineering programs US$4200 elcastor21 2 568 08-31-2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Kab
  What are the weirdest programs you know? spohara 4 1,098 04-22-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77