Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
French CLEP
Hi all, I'm looking for some info on the French CLEP, since I have been told not to CLEP out of any literature classes for my AA program if I hope to get into the BA in English program that I have my eye on. I took 3 years of French in high school, but nothing since then and that was over a decade ago.

I have looked through old threads and found mention of Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone. Does anyone have any other recommendations for helpful resources for this CLEP? My school will award 8 credits and I have to get a score of 50.

The website below was also recommended somewhere. If anyone has tried this course before can you tell me if you need the workbooks and textbook? Was it worth the cost?

Resource: French in Action

Thanks all!!!
BBA, MBA/ACC

Currently pursuing AS, working on 35ish CLEP credit hours, 3/7 tests complete!

English Comp w/Essay (3) - 7/09 - 71
Intro to Sociology (3) - 8/09 - 72
Intro to Psychology (3) - 8/09 - 68
Biology (8)
College Mathematics (3)
College Algebra (3)
American Lit (6)
6/33 Community College Credits Complete
15/62 Total Credits Complete
tbradford1 Wrote:Hi all, I'm looking for some info on the French CLEP, since I have been told not to CLEP out of any literature classes for my AA program if I hope to get into the BA in English program that I have my eye on. I took 3 years of French in high school, but nothing since then and that was over a decade ago.

I have looked through old threads and found mention of Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone. Does anyone have any other recommendations for helpful resources for this CLEP? My school will award 8 credits and I have to get a score of 50.

The website below was also recommended somewhere. If anyone has tried this course before can you tell me if you need the workbooks and textbook? Was it worth the cost?

Resource: French in Action

Thanks all!!!

I didn't do the CLEP but I took a course that involved the French in Action video series. The workbook and textbook are essential if you want to get good at the grammar and spelling of various phrases, which I think is a big part of the CLEP.

Another helpful study method if you're in the northeastern United States is to drive to Quebec or take a ferry to St. Pierre and Miquelon for your next vacation. One of the quickest immersion classes you'll ever get.
Ooh, I loved French in Action! Educational videos that kids--and adults--actually want to watch!!! The Annenberg Foundation also has similar video series for German and Spanish languages, respectively entitled Fokus Deutsch and Destinos: An Introduction to Spanish.

This site offers links to several free language learning resources:
YourDictionary.com Language Resources
Scroll down to the heading "Online Language Learning." From there, you can select several different options for free language learning. There are links to regular websites, there are links for podcasts, links for mp3 audio files, and links for software options. The links listed are mostly from well-known resources, such as the BBC and the Foreign Service Institute.

Another nice option is to go to FreeRice.com. At FreeRice.com, for every correct answer, ten grains of rice are donated to the UN World Food Program to help feed the hungry. There's no cost to you. When you get there, click "change subject" and choose French for your subject since that's what you're studying. Then, you'll get vocabulary quizzes that adjust themselves to your knowledge level--giving you easier or harder questions as needed. Also, the site repeats the questions you missed to make sure that you are learning them. Please note that this will help you to improve vocabulary, and as such will be helpful as a supplemental study resource; however, this will not cover grammar so I would strongly urge you to use additional resources for your language studying.

Again, I only recommend FreeRice.com as a supplemental study resource, since it only covers a limited portion of the subject matter covered in an actual exam. Please be sure to include additional study resources. Subjects currently available from FreeRide.com are:

ART: Famous Paintings
This could prove helpful when studying for DSST Art of the Western World or CLEP Humanities.

CHEMISTRY: Chemical Symbols (Basic)
CHEMISTRY: Chemical Symbols (Full List)
These may be helpful when studying for CLEP Chemistry or DSST Principles of Physical Science.

ENGLISH: English Grammar
ENGLISH: English Vocabulary
I occasionally use the Vocabulary as part of my GRE General Test vocabulary study. I haven't tried the grammar test.

GEOGRAPHY: Identify Countries on the Map
GEOGRAPHY: World Capitals
These could be helpful when preparing for the DSST Human Geography exam, as well as some of the history exams if anyone isn't certain where all of the countries being studied are located.

LANGUAGE LEARNING: French
LANGUAGE LEARNING: German
LANGUAGE LEARNING: Italian
LANGUAGE LEARNING: Spanish
These could be helpful when preparing for the corresponding CLEP, Ohio U, ACTFL, or NYU language exam.

MATH: Basic Math (Pre-Algebra)
MATH: Multiplication Table
These seem to be rather precollegiate from the titles; granted, though, I haven't tried them personally.
Thank you both for the information and suggestions. Smile
BBA, MBA/ACC

Biology (8)
College Mathematics (3)
College Algebra (3)
American Lit (6)
Thank you for sharing all of this information! I am currently studying for this, too.

I like the French in Action free videos at learner.org. I am not planning to buy their workbooks. I do have Schaum's workbooks, which were recommended, but I have not decided if I am going to really work through them or mostly just read them.

I was sent this link that looks fun and interesting (Thanks Justin!):

français interactif - by the University of Texas

He has also posted a few more links here:

French Language CLEP Study Guide

Please keep us updated on your progress. I will be very interested in knowing how your studies are going.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Thanks NAP! Please keep us updated on your progress as well. Any plans on when you are going to take the exam?
BBA, MBA/ACC

Biology (8)
College Mathematics (3)
College Algebra (3)
American Lit (6)
I only had one year of French in high school. I am trying to study for the French CLEP several times a week, while I study for other exams. (This summer studying for the Chemistry CLEP took priority and I need to get back on schedule with French.) I would like to study French for 2 years and take the CLEP around December 2010. Then I want to start studying for 2 years for the German CLEP, in which I have no background. I have always wanted to learn a lot of languages, so getting college credit is a good excuse for me to take the opportunity to learn 2 more.

What is your goal for studying and taking the French CLEP? I hope you will be faster than I am!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Well I am finishing up the last two CPA exams Oct. 26th and Jan. 4th, so sometime after that for sure lol. I'm hoping I can make my way through the resources on learners.com in January/February and I'll probably start listening to the Pimsleur cd's as soon as I can get a hold of them on my way to and from work. I guess that I'll shoot for the March timeframe. I only need a 50 since my school awards only 8 credits, regardless of your score so long as it meets the minimum. I only wish I'd done this a few years ago, when I had some hope of remembering the French I learned in high school! Smile
BBA, MBA/ACC

Biology (8)
College Mathematics (3)
College Algebra (3)
American Lit (6)
Sounds like you will get to take it before me. If you have any resources or tips to share, please do.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much you still remember. I know I was.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Hi, I came by this website and saw some useful information I really need. Since French is my native language, I am interested in the clep French, but I have no idea how it works! I am currently situated in NYC, and I've been told that I can take it at the NYU which is very expensive compared to other places (If anybody can suggest me a place that would be very nice!) anyway...I just wanted to know, it's been like a year I haven't wrote like essays or even read books in French, so do u suggest that I have a certain textbook? What do I have to review for the test? How long is the test? Can you tell me what it contains ? thanx so much!Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,897 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 694 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,233 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,076 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,841 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,481 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,400 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,672 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,900 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  MOOC to learn French lillingworth 9 1,853 05-27-2020, 10:07 AM
Last Post: lillingworth