Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free course in English "International Diploma in Data, Surveillance and Democracy"
The Chilean Recoleta University or UAR has just opened sign ups for the fall 2024 session. While most courses are in Spanish, this one is expected to be offered in English.

Courses are free of charge. These diplomados are pretty much self paced. They usually have text to read, quizzes you can only do once that are worth part of the score and a final essay where you are expected to grade 2 other students. Once you pass the course and the session ends, you will get an email saying your digital diploma is ready and to download it.

Text of the course:
The Universidad Abierta de Recoleta, in conjunction with MIJENTE, presents the International Diploma in Data, Surveillance and Democracy – Second edition, which is composed of four courses: (i) Digital Revolution and Data Economy, (ii) Social Networks, Fake News and Democratic Crisis, (iii) Rebellion against Technology at the Service of Surveillance and (iv) Real Utopias: What do we do with digital technologies?

MIJENTE is a non-profit organization originating from Chicago, USA, being the political home for Latinos and Chicanos seeking racial, economic, gender and climate justice. Learn more about MIJENTE at this LINK.

Advances in digital technology have revolutionized the world around us. This technological revolution has changed everything from our society to transforming the economy and impacting democracies. In fact, data, our very personal and private information, is now worth more than the cost of oil and gold. 

Against this backdrop, UAR’s International Diploma in Data, Surveillance and Democracy – Second edition, in partnership with MIJENTE, critically analyzes the current state of global digital surveillance, recognizing its effects on human life. In addition, the courses that make up the Diploma include spaces, activities and multimedia materials for critical reflection on this surveillance, with international experts who share theory and praxis for counter-hegemonic action.

Link:
https://www.uar.cl/estudia-en-la-uar-cur...d-edition/
[-] The following 2 users Like Avidreader's post:
  • Kab, Leedeedee
Thanks for sharing this. Looks interesting. Out the website and it seems like two of the courses are already closed for enrollment (bummer because I was most interested in the social media one), but two are open until they start. So I would assume the diploma is not still available, although a person can still sign up for two of the individual courses.

In general, would you say these Chilean diplomas are more equivalent to diplomas or certificates in the U.S.? Edit: Ok I see it is an "universidad popular" that doesn't grant degrees--so more like a certificate from a non-profit organization. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universida...e_Recoleta: "the Ministry of Education clarified that the initiative could not be formally considered a university, because it did not aim to give professional degrees and because it had not been constituted by the requirements of the General Education Act." from Spanish "el Ministerio de Educación aclaró que la iniciativa no podía considerarse formalmente una universidad, por no tener como objetivo la entrega de grados profesionales y por no haberse constituido mediante los requisitos de la Ley General de Educación."
(08-03-2024, 04:07 PM)wow Wrote: Thanks for sharing this. Looks interesting. Out the website and it seems like two of the courses are already closed for enrollment (bummer because I was most interested in the social media one), but two are open until they start. So I would assume the diploma is not still available, although a person can still sign up for two of the individual courses.

In general, would you say these Chilean diplomas are more equivalent to diplomas or certificates in the U.S.? Edit: Ok I see it is an "universidad popular" that doesn't grant degrees--so more like a certificate from a non-profit organization. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universida...e_Recoleta: "the Ministry of Education clarified that the initiative could not be formally considered a university, because it did not aim to give professional degrees and because it had not been constituted by the requirements of the General Education Act." from Spanish "el Ministerio de Educación aclaró que la iniciativa no podía considerarse formalmente una universidad, por no tener como objetivo la entrega de grados profesionales y por no haberse constituido mediante los requisitos de la Ley General de Educación."
It is a non profit that wants to make education available to Chileans because college is so expensive there. If there are courses that truly interest you, be patient, they will likely open them up next year. A lot of courses are offered once each year.
I wondered that about this course. I looked at some of the other diplomas too and most seemed to start in April, so I can put a reminder in my calendar to check next March!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Coursera for Tennessee Residents! Captainrekt000 0 151 10-15-2024, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  2 free Mexican cinema classes in Spanish might confer credits Avidreader 0 131 10-14-2024, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Free and Cheap College/University Microcredentials ArshveerCheema 7 964 10-11-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  Alliant International University - Models of Counseling Supervision Certificate ArshveerCheema 3 244 10-11-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: RajSingh
  125 free non credit courses in Spanish Avidreader 0 231 09-28-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Free Community College - MA Residents Captainrekt000 0 223 09-27-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Free 1L BarBri Resource for Law Students Bingbong 2 346 09-25-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Bingbong
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 22 4,212 09-20-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Free certificates from Bond University, Australia ArshveerCheema 0 310 09-20-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Free ASL class from Oklahoma school for the deaf Avidreader 2 321 09-16-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77