Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free College Credits Through the Civil Air Patrol!!!
I know I started a thread on educational benefits offered to military auxiliary members, but I thought this deserved its own thread. Senior Civil Air Patrol members (adults) and cadets with the General Billy Mitchell Award or higher can take Air Force CDCs (Career Development Courses) at no cost. Many of these courses are evaluated by ACE for college credit. Many of the courses are also offered in web-based or correspondence versions. You do have to take proctored exams at an Air Force testing center.

https://www.capmembers.com/cap_universit...gistration
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CDC...DCFDAA.pdf
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R05...089BE0.pdf

Go to the link below to search for military courses and how they will transfer. If you want to see a list of all 291 Air Force courses, just select "Air Force" from the Service dropdown menu and select "2017" for the Year You Took the Course to see courses that are currently ACE-approved.

ACE | Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services

It is very easy to join the Civil Air Patrol. Dues are $50-70 per year depending on the state. The directions to join are below.

Join as an Active Adult Member - Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Quote:Title: CIVIL AIR PATROL OFFICER
Course Number: 00013.
Location: Air Force Institute for Advanced Distributed Learning, Maxwell AFB, AL.
Length: Maximum, 52 weeks.
Exhibit Dates: 1/02–Present.

Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of the course, the student will have knowledge of Air Force and Civil Air Patrol history, mission, organization, customs, courtesies, and agency identification system. The student will be able to communicate effectively, when speaking and writing, with a professional level of confidence and accuracy; influence and direct people in the organization’s mission; have knowledge of group dynamics; understand the importance and effectiveness of goal setting to an organization; and building a learning team.

Instruction: Learner presentations, lecture, and computer-based training. Topics include Air Force history, mission and organization; Civil Air Patrol history, mission and organization; Air Force customs and courtesies; Civil Air Patrol guidelines; code numbering systems; communications fundamentals; barriers to effective communication; speaking and writing; modern information systems; the concept of leadership qualities, principles, techniques and styles; the leader and the group; and officership and the leader.

Credit Recommendation: In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 2 semester hours in communication skills and 1 in leadership. In the upper-division baccalaureate degree category, 2 semester hours in military history (10/07)(10/07).

Maybe I should try to remember my CAPID. :coolgleam:
This is great. I've been wanting to start on flying lessons and I totally forgot about the CAP. Gonna look into it again.
inkleind Wrote:This is great. I've been wanting to start on flying lessons and I totally forgot about the CAP. Gonna look into it again.

Are you under 18? The free flight lessons are only for cadets (minors). Senior members may be able to find other members who will offer lessons at a discount. Or, were you already planning on taking flying lessons and using your license to aid CAP?
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Oh ok. Well hmmm. I hadn't thought about cap since I was 14 or 15. That's probably why I was thinking about the lesson side of it. Should've pursued it more back then! I think that was before I was even driving age.
Thanks for this! My 13-yo is in CAP, and is obsessed with it! Took his first flight in a cessna, and now he's hooked on that too, and wants to become a pilot. And a Navy Seal, we shall see how that all goes. :p
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I can't believe y'all are sleeping on free college credits and free career training. I might join to see how the courses are.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I was a cadet in the 80's. Wonder how far back any of it goes? (toddles off to investigate)
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

My kids and I visited a squadron.  They were a bit small/unorganized but this is summer.  I'm going to try another squadron next week for contrast.  Until I talk directly to a PDO (development officer), my college potentials seem a little fuzzy - just finishing my BALS at TESU and thinking of taking Liberty's MA in Interdisciplinary Studies.  Either: Psychology/Life Coach OR Psychology/Theological.  The degree requires 2 areas of study.  As for my kids, they'd have to really want it since they're already overbooked.
(08-18-2017, 09:43 AM)jb111 Wrote: My kids and I visited a squadron.  They were a bit small/unorganized but this is summer.  I'm going to try another squadron next week for contrast.  Until I talk directly to a PDO (development officer), my college potentials seem a little fuzzy - just finishing my BALS at TESU and thinking of taking Liberty's MA in Interdisciplinary Studies.  Either: Psychology/Life Coach OR Psychology/Theological.  The degree requires 2 areas of study.  As for my kids, they'd have to really want it since they're already overbooked.

My son absolutely loves it.  But it would certainly depend on the squadron.  Luckily, it does not take up a great deal of time (every Thursday night from 6-9).  He spends additional time studying and taking online tests when he's ready for a promotion, completely on his own.  And he does not do every single thing that comes up - some he does if he has time, some he doesn't.  He did a bunch of color guard stuff for graduations in May/June, then the squadron took the entire month of July off.

I would say that for any activity my kids do, if they don't REALLY want to do it, I'm not going to waste my time and money on it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,522 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,136 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,194 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,558 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,945 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 451 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 243 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 707 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 509 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 402 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares