Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those of you who have completely switched career fields...
Your Bachelors will be in Psychology, do you have an interest in that area?. I received an MSW at 44, and didn't have trouble finding work. Currently working on getting my Clinical Social Work license.
(04-11-2018, 07:26 PM)xjarhead1999 Wrote: You said you are almost done with a psych degree? Thought about a focus on industrial organization? That goes along well with experience in HR. Could become a consultant for organizations and tell them how to run their HR. I know it doesn't exactly get you out of HR work, but you could have more "power" over businesses.
Just a thought.

I've given some thought to I/O Psych, but as I've researched jobs, nearly all of them seem to be on the east coast. I couldn't find a single position west of the Rockies - and I'm in CA.

It may have just been where I was looking (SIOP.com) but that limitation has given me some pause regarding that direction. Otherwise, it would definitely hold some interest.

(04-11-2018, 07:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think you've pigeonholed yourself into what you consider HR - but there are so many different areas of it.  I worked as a Compensation Manager and loved it.  But I've also worked in Benefits, and was super annoyed by it.  I think it just depends on what type of company you work in, and what you actually do.  I've been happy at smaller companies where I did all kinds of different things, and at big companies where I could focus on one main thing.

I think you should look at other areas within HR.

You're absolutely right.

I think I'm a little frustrated because California has gone absolutely degree and certification crazy in recent years.

For example - I like Comp & Benefits quite a bit (either combined or individually). 

I've tried for months to land an entry level position in either area (which would constitute about a $10/hr pay cut, but that's okay if it could get me more aligned with what I like. Problem is, even for entry level positions, employers are demanding (a) a Bachelors Degree, and only in Business, HR or Finance, and (b) particularly for Comp jobs - a certification - even for entry level (CCP for Comp, usually CEBS for Benefits).

It's been made clear to me by Recruiters that my 5 years of experience in each means nothing without the degree and certs.

So I've admittedly gotten a bit fed up with the whole thing. Combine that with the fact that Comp & Benefits jobs rarely seem to come up in my area (Sacramento - not a small city by any means), and it's left me feeling very pigeon-holed.

But I'm still keeping an eye out for those positions, and once I finish the BA, I'll have some decisions to make.

(04-12-2018, 09:19 AM)Sparklette Wrote: I know several people that transitioned from other careers into healthcare admin. Two that stand out are a ~55 year old lady that had worked as a middle school English teacher and a ~40 year old gentleman that was previously in car sales.
If you’re interested in that world and the IT end, the two certs you can apply and test for without prior experience or specific education programs that I would suggest looking into:
1. CAHIMS through HIMSS
2. CPHQ through NAHQ

Both would require a couple months of dedicated self study if you are going in without the classroom background. Most other certs seem to require a prescribed amount of industry experience.

I'll look into this, thank you!   Smile

(04-12-2018, 09:35 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: @nodaclu - I am the broken record always talking about networking, but at least I'm predictable.   How is your LinkedIn profile?  Do you have any friends or even long-lost colleagues you can reach out to on LinkedIn?  People that you've worked with who know you professionally and who might have some suggestions.  At the stage in your career you're at, ideally you should have at least a small network built up.  

Also what about looking at companies that you'd want to work for and see what types of jobs are available?  The reason I'm asking is that I don't think you need to wait to apply.   With the above suggestions in mind, you could just get online and view job descriptions and just apply!  This wouldn't work with IT, but in many fields, you don't need specific certificates.    As long as you're savvy enough to write a resume that highlights how your skills match the job you're applying for, it could work.  

But back to networking... The easiest way to a new job is usually through people you know, not a master's degree.   Hiring managers usually look at experience first, education second... at least in any position I've ever held.   Therefore I really think your best bet is to see where you have a closest match.    Absolutely go for the master's degree, but I would think that a master's could help you reach for higher/better jobs, but not sure about a new field unless it is something specific like IT.   I would try as hard as you can to find something different now and then use your education to move up.

I just took a look at my LinkedIn profile, and I have 239 connections, which seems huge to me, but I know in reality is quite small. I've reached out to about two dozen people over the past year, but nothing has come of it. I'm an extreme introvert. I'd rather go to the Dentist than to a Mixer.  Big Grin

The biggest challenge that I've had is, in California at least, that I'm consistently hearing from people who make hiring decisions that the opposite is true - that education trumps experience. I've challenged them on this, and have been, clearly and bluntly, by multiple recruiters, told that their company prefers to hire someone with 1 year of experience and a relevant degree, over someone with 12 years of relevant experience, and no degree (what I couldn't get them to say, but was quite obvious, is that hiring in this way is actually cheaper. HR Generalist positions in my area are actually pay LESS now than they were 10 years ago.)

I'm not sure if it's spillover mentality from the Silicon Valley and their hiring practices, (I'm only about 100 miles away, and in the largest market that's right outside of the SF Bay Area.) But it's left me angry, confused, frustrated and frankly, ready to give up.

(04-12-2018, 04:40 PM)rixbae Wrote: Your Bachelors will be in Psychology, do you have an interest in that area?. I received an MSW at 44, and didn't have trouble finding work. Currently working on getting my Clinical Social Work license.

Yes!! Very much so. I'm already a Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist, and would really like to get my Masters and become an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor). 

My holdups there are (1) CA was the last state in the country to recognize the LPC, so there are very few of them here, which affects the second item. (2) the 3,000 hour internship program. I've struggled to see how I could complete that requirement in a timely manner with so few LPC's in the state, and I also can't figure out how I'd support myself in the interim.

But if I could somehow figure out that pathway, I'd be all for it.  Smile

EDIT: Just realized that one of my mentors is an MSW! She's a successful Hypnotherapist today (and she just completed a coding bootcamp - she's a unique and awesome lady), and she might have some ideas for helping me navigate this path. I need to reach out to her.
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
(04-12-2018, 04:45 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: The biggest challenge that I've had is, in California at least, that I'm consistently hearing from people who make hiring decisions that the opposite is true - that education trumps experience. I've challenged them on this, and have been, clearly and bluntly, by multiple recruiters, told that their company prefers to hire someone with 1 year of experience and a relevant degree, over someone with 12 years of relevant experience, and no degree (what I couldn't get them to say, but was quite obvious, is that hiring in this way is actually cheaper. HR Generalist positions in my area are actually pay LESS now than they were 10 years ago.)

I'm not sure if it's spillover mentality from the Silicon Valley and their hiring practices, (I'm only about 100 miles away, and in the largest market that's right outside of the SF Bay Area.) But it's left me angry, confused, frustrated and frankly, ready to give up.

Maybe in California because they have so many applicants, but I keep hearing the opposite in general. People may spend years in school and be unable to find an entry level job, and sometimes not even an internship. Schools are too behind the times. Employers are starting to back some programs that will have more hands-on projects and other learning, so that when you graduate from their program (like the EdX/Coursera ones), that they will at least glance at your resume.

But, back to your problem. I think you might have to get some experience though volunteering, contract work, or finding a project/job that is halfway between what you have and what you want. A job they give you because of your experience in HR, but you build experience toward your next career, or you have an HR job, but somehow manage to work on a project for a different department, an interdepartmental project, etc.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Nodaclu
(04-12-2018, 05:11 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 04:45 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: The biggest challenge that I've had is, in California at least, that I'm consistently hearing from people who make hiring decisions that the opposite is true - that education trumps experience. I've challenged them on this, and have been, clearly and bluntly, by multiple recruiters, told that their company prefers to hire someone with 1 year of experience and a relevant degree, over someone with 12 years of relevant experience, and no degree (what I couldn't get them to say, but was quite obvious, is that hiring in this way is actually cheaper. HR Generalist positions in my area are actually pay LESS now than they were 10 years ago.)

Maybe in California because they have so many applicants, but I keep hearing the opposite in general. People may spend years in school and be unable to find an entry level job, and sometimes not even an internship. Schools are too behind the times. Employers are starting to back some programs that will have more hands-on projects and other learning, so that when you graduate from their program (like the EdX/Coursera ones), that they will at least glance at your resume.

But, back to your problem. I think you might have to get some experience though volunteering, contract work, or finding a project/job that is halfway between what you have and what you want. A job they give you because of your experience in HR, but you build experience toward your next career, or you have an HR job, but somehow manage to work on a project for a different department, an interdepartmental project, etc.

I think you're right - there's such a glut of HR professionals here. When I left my position as a Senior Recruiter a couple of years ago, I posted the requisition for my replacement, and had 104 applications within 72 hours of posting. When a recruiter has that kind of volume coming in, they can cherry-pick in any way that they want.

I've looked at postings in other states, and you definitely see the requirements drop the further you get from CA...lol.

In the end, I think my best bet is going to be either:

1. Looking for ancillary positions within HR (Compensation analysis for example)
or
2. Going back to being a Hypnotherapist, while slowly (over years) positioning myself via education into pivoting to a Professional Counselor role
120/120 units complete

I suspect that once you have both experience and a degree (regardless of major) you'll get a different response/reaction from the recruiters.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Nodaclu
One other thought. When you search for a job, can you try to find something remote? I don't know if there are jobs like this in HR, but it would allow you to expand the search to the entire country. AND working from home might help alleviate some of the stress that comes from just the day-to-day BS.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • Nodaclu
(04-12-2018, 05:58 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: One other thought.   When you search for a job, can you try to find something remote?   I don't know if there are jobs like this in HR, but it would allow you to expand the search to the entire country.  AND working from home might help alleviate some of the stress that comes from just the day-to-day BS.

That's a great idea! I did purchase a FlexJobs subscription the other day. Maybe I can use that to help me find something in a location where the barrier to entry isn't quite as high.
120/120 units complete

[-] The following 1 user Likes Nodaclu's post:
  • burbuja0512
What is your hesitation regarding the hypnotherapy/counseling route? Would it take a while to earn much?

(04-12-2018, 06:22 PM)Ideas Wrote: What is your hesitation regarding the hypnotherapy/counseling route? Would it take a while to earn much?

I tried making a go of it as a Hypnotherapist off and on the past couple of years, and really struggled financially.

But there were also some mitigating circumstances involved in that struggle, and it's possible that I could make a go of it if I gave it another try. I'm definitely considering it.

One challenge was that I felt under-educated, and that left me feeling like I wasn't helping my clients as much as I'd prefer. Another was, even though I'm a big proponent of hypnosis, I sometimes struggled with the "new-agey" perception of it by the public in general.

In essence, even though I loved it, I was also a little embarrassed by it, if that makes any sense. Makes it tough to build a business if you're uncomfortable with the model you're using.

If I can figure out how to work through that, it might be the answer to this dilemma.
120/120 units complete

Yeah, you could, instead of a Masters degree, do some training/certification programs in that specialty or something related.

Or get a Masters in Psych from Capella or somewhere. (Capella is probably the cheapest, for most people, if done fast.)

I don't know if you have interest in the area, but the Drug/Alcohol Counselor route is quicker in some states.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Nodaclu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 23 2,691 04-24-2024, 07:17 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,975 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 829 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is The Mobility of Your Career? Kal Di 0 905 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 1,094 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Do-over - what career would you pick? bethanyneedsajob 29 5,791 09-26-2020, 08:06 AM
Last Post: sambam0812
  ScholarMatch: Become a Volunteer College/Career Coach! PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 9 2,026 06-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Career changes in a lifetime Ideas 8 2,373 02-19-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Career Options kalishakti 21 3,869 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Last Post: originalamyj
  HR career with Management Degree? Regards 6 3,118 10-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77