Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting TECEPs and CC into a degree plan
I finally decided to get serious about getting my degree this year. I am enrolling in 12 credits a semester at my local community college to be able to take advantage of federal grants. Between the 24 credits I will be getting from there and the 24 I will be getting through TECEPs because of the residency requirement, I thought it wise to make a degree plan. I'd be so grateful for any comments regarding my CC/TECEP choices and any suggestions you may have... I'm also interested in taking more Straighterline classes but not sure what would be best. Courses that are done are in red. I took American Lit, Humanities, and A&I Lit before they were downgraded so I'm hoping that TESC will still accept them as 6 credit courses.

BSBA in General Management at TESC
I. General Education Requirements (60 credits)
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills (15)

Written Communication (6)
- English Composition 1 (TECEP)
- English Composition 2 (TECEP)

Oral Communication (3)
- Elements of Public Speaking (CC)

Quantitative Literacy (3)
- Intermediate Algebra (ALEKS - 3)

Information Literacy (3)
- Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (CLEP - 3)

B. Civic and Global Learning (9)

Diversity (3)
- Psychology of Women (TECEP)

Ethics (3)
- Ethics in America (DSST)

Civic Engagement (3)
- American Government (CLEP - 3)

C. Knowledge of Human Cultures (9)
- Humanities (CLEP - 6)
- American Literature (CLEP - 3)

D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World (4)
- Biology (CC)

E. Mathematics (6)
- College Algebra (ALEKS - 3)
- Precalculus (ALEKS - 3)

F. General Education Electives (17)
- CPCU Code/Ethics (2)
- 9 Credits Needed

II. Professional Business Requirements (36 credits)
- Financial Accounting (CC or CLEP)
- Managerial Accounting (CC or Straighterline)
- Business Law (CLEP)
- Principles of Management (CLEP)
- Computer Concepts and Applications (TECEP)
- Introduction to Marketing (CLEP)
- Principles of Finance (DSST)
- Business in Society (TECEP)
- Macroeconomics (CC)
- Microeconomics (CC)
- Managerial Communications (TECEP)
- Strategic Management (TECEP)

III. Area of Study: General Management (18 credits)
Area #1: Accounting

Area #2: Finance
- Money and Banking (DSST)

Area #3: Marketing
- Marketing Principles (CC)
- Public Relations: Thought and Practice (TECEP)

Area #4: Management
- Project Management (Sophia - 3)
- Small Business Management (CC)
- Human Resource Management (DSST)

IV. Electives (6 credits)
- Introduction to Statistics (ALEKS - 3)
- 3 Credits Needed
Your CC Marketing Principles will duplicate Principles of Marketing CLEP, so that won't work.

Money & Banking DSST is not available, went out for revision on 1/1/15 and hasn't come back yet. I think the Financial Institutions and Markets TECEP is similar.

I highly recommend the Applied Math TECEP, as it is a piece of cake. Another TECEP, and an easy 3cr in GenEd.

The Kaplan Open PLA course is free: https://openlearning.kaplan.com/kuopenlearning/LRC100/

If you want to take some SL courses, I suggest the accounting series. SL's Accounting I and Accounting II will go in the core, then Financial Accounting will count as Intermediate Accounting and Managerial Accounting will count as Cost Accounting (UL) and go in your Area of Study. That will take care of replacing the area of study courses that won't work.

The plan looks good!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
In light of recent changes at TESU, I am updating my degree plan to remove the TECEPS since I will be paying the residency waiver. Also taking dfrecore's previous suggestions into consideration and the fact that I'm taking 4 classes at the local community college this summer. Courses done are in red, any comments are welcome. Smile My goal is to be finished by the end of the year!

BSBA in General Management

I. General Education Requirements (60 credits)
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills (15)

Written Communication (6)
- English Composition 1 (CC)
- English Composition 2 (CC)

Oral Communication (3)
- Elements of Public Speaking (CC)

Quantitative Literacy (3)
Intermediate Algebra (ALEKS - 3)

Information Literacy (3)

B. Civic and Global Learning (9)

Diversity (3)
- Sociology (CC)

Ethics (3)
- CPCU Code/Ethics (2 + waiver)

Civic Engagement (3)
- American Government (CLEP - 3)

C. Knowledge of Human Cultures (9)
- Humanities (CLEP - 6)

D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World (4)
- Biology (CC)

E. Mathematics (6)
- College Algebra (ALEKS - 3)
- Precalculus (ALEKS - 3)

F. General Education Electives (18)
- Latin American History (CC - 3)
- Intro to Theater (CC)
- Introduction to Statistics (ALEKS - 3)
- Kaplan PLA (3)

II. Professional Business Requirements (36 credits)
- Accounting 1 (SL)
- Accounting 2 (SL)
- Business Law (CC)
- Principles of Management (study.com, Saylor, CLEP , or Straighterline)
- Intro to Computing (CC)
- Introduction to Marketing (CC)
- Principles of Finance (DSST or PF)
- Business in Society (TECEP)
- Macroeconomics (CC or Saylor)
- Microeconomics (Sophia)
- Managerial Communications (SL, Saylor, Uexcel)
- Strategic Management (TECEP)

III. Area of Study: General Management (18 credits - 12 UL)
Area #1: Accounting
-Financial Accounting (SL)
-Managerial Accounting (SL)

Area #2: Marketing
- Advertising (TECEP)

Area #3: Management
- Project Management (Sophia - 3)
- Human Resource Management (study.com - 3)
- Small Business Management (CC - 3)

IV. Electives (6 credits)
- TEEX (6)
Make sure if you're going to take 1 course at study.com, that you take 2 - you're paying for it anyway, might as well get credit! It's $199 for a month, and includes 2 exams.

You can make it a little easier on yourself if you take the English Comp CLEP (with essay) instead of 2 courses.

Sociology is considered one of the easier exams, I would take the CLEP.

I would take Microecon and Macroecon at the same place, there's a lot of overlap. I would also take them concurrently or consecutively.

The TEEX courses take a while to get through, I wouldn't get too bogged down in those if there was a faster way to get credits, even if you had to pay. Just a suggestion.

Other than that, it looks good.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
thank you for your advice! I'll take principals of management with study.com then.
I was considering taking the cleps you suggested, but found myself really enjoying my b&m classes this semester so I thought I would take some more. What I might do now is take the cleps and replace the teex with more interesting classes from my CC. As far as the micro/macro goes, I won a contest at Sophia and have a free course with them now, and micro or macro was the only thing that would fit in to my plan. I believe they have a sociology course though, I'll look into that. Ideally, I would like to just knock those two out by studying and attempting the saylor tests.
You're never going to say, "That was an amazing Straighterline class I'll remember the rest of my life" over a beer with your buddies 20 years from now although Professor Burger in SL Calculus comes closest to that. I think you're doing the right thing.

My advice (which many here will disagree): take English comp at the CC rather than CLEP/TECEP with a professor who is highly regarded by students with less than 4 stars for easiness on ratemyprofessor. English comp is an important core skill for all professions that should be learned thoroughly rather than glossed over. On the other hand, I think glossing over financial accounting is OK as long as you're not going to be an accountant. LOL.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:English comp is an important core skill for all professions that should be learned thoroughly rather than glossed over.

This is really good advice, I just wanted to second it. Even people who hate writing probably agree with the utility of actually taking the time to learn how to do it properly.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Decisions, decisions. You make good points and I think I would enjoy an english class. But I do want to keep in mind the work load I take on, especially in the fall. In the end it may come down to if I'm able to get into English 101- classes in So. Cal community colleges are notoriously overcrowded.
andreavw Wrote:Decisions, decisions. You make good points and I think I would enjoy an english class. But I do want to keep in mind the work load I take on, especially in the fall. In the end it may come down to if I'm able to get into English 101- classes in So. Cal community colleges are notoriously overcrowded.

If you're a returning student, you probably have priority enrollment if you went through all of the hoops like submit a education plan. Priority enrollment helps a lot. But I've found that crashing a class on the first day (or getting on the waitlist for an online class) works 90% of the time even if you don't have priority enrollment. I always crash the section I want rather than switch to another section with open seats.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 408 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,480 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 357 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,726 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,295 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,378 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,589 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 754 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,911 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 885 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy